Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-19-2018, 02:33 PM   #76
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
And, for reference, my actual setup, with @jcn363's footer-killing patch .

Code:
Dec 19 20:31:41 nickel: (    99.991 @ 0x553010 / ui.debug) draw widget:  46 QStackedWidget QRect(0,11 1080x1429) 
Dec 19 20:31:41 nickel: (    99.991 @ 0x553010 / ui.debug) ===> parent widget:  AbstractMainWindow 
Dec 19 20:31:41 nickel: (   100.036 @ 0x553010 / ui.debug) draw widget:  46 QFrame QRect(0,55 1080x1385) 
Dec 19 20:31:41 nickel: (   100.036 @ 0x553010 / ui.debug) ===> parent widget:  ReadingView
(Which confirms the 44px we got back from the footer, compared to #72).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	killf.png
Views:	309
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	168489  

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-19-2018 at 02:36 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 06:00 PM   #77
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIPG-reader View Post
I have just installed the fw 4.12.12111 and added some new patches I didn´t have before:

Enable rotation on all devices: It works, but when you rotate to landscape, you only can turn pages. Yo cannot select any menu item (including coming back to portrait!) and you cannot connect to the PC (you cannot confirm the question about connection yes/no!). Here I started to be very afraid that I have to full reset the ereader (I had no way to put another patch), but switching OFF and ON the ereader, luckly it returns to the menu in portrait position . Then, you can patch again to remove this option ... What a pity ...

Note: I have an H2O Ed2 v1
This isn't the case here. All my devices, including an Aura H2O, have generally worked well in the landscape mode. But, there have been occasional problems like you describe. And once I worked out how to get back to portrait mode, I could restart the device and landscape mode worked correctly the next time I tried it.

And remember, you are using a hack to enable a function only available by turning on a developers option. You shouldn't be to surprised when there are problems.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2018, 08:48 PM   #78
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Thanks for the testing jcn363 and NiLuJe. The results make me think the blank header/booter space is not being set by directly adjusting the viewport height, and I haven't been able to find anywhere in the code where the viewport height is being calculated, which makes me think it might be done via CSS properties.

Had anyone tried changing the heights or top/bottom margin/padding of likely objects in the compressed CSS streams in nickel? One to try mught be MediumVertSpacer which has the right heights, but it is probably being used for a lot of different things.

E.g. a patch to halve MediumVertSpacer height (nickel.yaml)
Spoiler:
Code:
Decrease MediumVertSpacer:
  - Enabled: yes
  - FindZlib: "* {\n  background-color: white;\n}\nQWidget[smallIconHeight=true][qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true]"
  - ReplaceZlib: {Offset: 0, Find: "MediumVertSpacer[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true] {\n  min-height: 24px;\n  max-height: 24px;\n}", Replace: "MediumVertSpacer[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true] {\n  min-height: 12px;\n  max-height: 12px;\n}"}
  - ReplaceZlib: {Offset: 0, Find: "MediumVertSpacer[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {\n  min-height: 32px;\n  max-height: 32px;\n}", Replace: "MediumVertSpacer[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {\n  min-height: 16px;\n  max-height: 16px;\n}"}
  - ReplaceZlib: {Offset: 0, Find: "MediumVertSpacer[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {\n  min-height: 44px;\n  max-height: 44px;\n}", Replace: "MediumVertSpacer[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {\n  min-height: 22px;\n  max-height: 22px;\n}"}
  - ReplaceZlib: {Offset: 0, Find: "MediumVertSpacer[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n  min-height: 56px;\n  max-height: 56px;\n}", Replace: "MediumVertSpacer[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n  min-height: 28px;\n  max-height: 28px;\n}"}
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:54 PM   #79
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@GeoffR: A quick glance at stuff with a 44px size (both in zlib streams and in literals) indeed yields quite a few things. Some stuff can easily be discarded as "probably not it" given the context, and I was indeed afraid what was left would be one of those spacers, which do look like they might be used in quite a few places...

I hadn't yet gone around to actually try it though, so all of this was theoretical so far .

But I'll see how that behaves tomorrow, thanks for keeping at it! .

EDIT: Out of curiosity, besides this example, has anyone tried any of those other ones? (Ideally so I don't spend my time testing stuff that someone already checked ).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-19-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:00 PM   #80
NiLuJe
BLAM!

The other approach I can see (correct/stop me if I'm wrong, this is way out of my wheelhouse) would be to figure out where the final computation of that ReadingView QFrame/QRect is being done, and brute-force an adjustment in there somehow. Could the offset pointed out in the logs be used to step into the memory at runtime via gdb to help figure this out? Or is this a vain effort without debug symbols?
Advert
Old 12-19-2018, 09:14 PM   #81
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
patch to halve MediumVertSpacer height (nickel.yaml)
It works, margin top is smaller (epub)
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:13 PM   #82
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
It works, margin top is smaller (epub)
Great, that is progress then. So the questions are:
- Does it affect the footer too? (when the "Show footer" option is unticked.)
- Does it affect KePub books in the same way?
- Does it cause problems elsewhere in the UI?

I guess the next step will be to find whereabouts in the code this particular MediumVertSpacer is being constructed, so it can be changed without affecting other places that type of spacer is used.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:49 PM   #83
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
- Does it affect the footer too? (when the "Show footer" option is unticked.)
- Does it affect KePub books in the same way?
- Does it cause problems elsewhere in the UI?
1. Yes (tried 00px). Footer decreased
2. Yes
3. Not yet noticed
Quote:
ePub fixed top/bottom margins
In my opinion, this patch does not affect anything at the moment.
Quote:
- ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x0E, Find: "00px", Replace: "00px"} # TOP MARGIN
- ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x18, Find: "00px", Replace: "00px"} # BOTTOM MARGIN
I tried to change, 0 effect

Correct if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Semwize; 12-19-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:11 AM   #84
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Quote:
ePub fixed top/bottom margins
Quote:
- ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x0E, Find: "00px", Replace: "00px"} # TOP MARGIN
- ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x18, Find: "00px", Replace: "00px"} # BOTTOM MARGIN
I tried to change, 0 effect

Correct if I'm wrong.
If the publisher has set a @page margin in the book's stylesheet then the `ePub fixed top/bottom margins` patch should override it, and if you change the Replace: values then the top/bottom margins should increase by the amount you set.

But perhaps something has changed and @page doesn't work anymore, or maybe the patch can no longer overrides the @page margin set in the book's stylesheet? If that has happened then it would break the `ePub fixed/adjustable top/bottom margins` patch too.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:40 AM   #85
Semwize
Guru

I put 00px in the patch
Quote:
Decrease MediumVertSpacer
and 12px in
Quote:
- ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x0E, Find: "00px", Replace: "12px"} # TOP MARGIN
0 effect

Old 12-20-2018, 01:29 AM   #86
GeoffR
Wizard

Testing ePub @page margins

Attached is a small ePub book that has a large (100px) page margin set in its stylesheet. The first page is a thin rectangle, following pages are Lorum Ipsum text. Sideload it as an ePub (don't convert to KePub)

If you don't have either of the `ePub fixed top/bottom margins` or `ePub fixed/adjustable top/bottom margins` patches enabled, then the book should display with all four page margins 100px wide (in addition to any header footer.)

If you have one of the above patches enabled then the book's large page margins should be ignored and the page margins should be whatever you have set in the patch.

Just interested to know if @page is still working as it did in previous firmware versions.
Attached Files
File Type: epub PubPageMarginTest.epub (4.5 KB, 220 views)
Old 12-20-2018, 01:46 AM   #87
Semwize
Guru

Yes, patches work, remove the margin.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:50 AM   #88
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, patches work, remove the margin.
Did you test it without the patches enabled? I.e. do you know that the margin removed because of the patches, or could it be that @page no longer works in ePubs?
Old 12-20-2018, 01:53 AM   #89
Semwize
Guru

GeoffR,
first checked with disabled patch, then turned on, margin was remove.

patches work
Old 12-20-2018, 01:58 AM   #90
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
GeoffR,
first checked with disabled patch, then turned on, margin was remove.
Okay thanks, so @page is working as it did before.

But then I can't explain why the `ePub fixed top/bottom margins` patch doesn't increase the top margin when you changed the value from 00px to 12px.

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches, patching