Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-28-2014, 09:06 AM   #76
user743
Addict
user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle PW2 special offers removed by Amazon for FREE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
There is no hebrew keyboard I know about.
Keyboard definition is a text file (gzipped JSON), so making your own is quite easy.
The other thing is how to install it.
However it is possible to make a hebrew localization package that will take care of installing stuff.
Refer to these posts in this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=62
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=70
I just want the keyboard (not the user interface) and i don't knew were to start.
I can give anyone who is willing to do it a file with the Hebrew letters and all other Hebrew characters saying were they should all go

note: I dont want a replacement for English. if i need to replace a language, i'll replace any other one.
user743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:38 AM   #77
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
did this, or does anyone know, how to 'ADD' a language to the kindle, and not just replace a language?
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2014, 03:37 AM   #78
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Check this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=162654
You'll need to provide your own CramFS images, to add a locale to the locales archive and to fix any unforseen problems. The process is potentially dangerous and can brick your Paperwhite.
You've been warned.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:29 AM   #79
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
cool thanks for the help!
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:25 PM   #80
user743
Addict
user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.

@dsmid I found this fork for Hebrew http://github.com/aryehbeitz/kindle-pw2-l10n-he. Is it finished? if not how can i help?

Last edited by user743; 05-28-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Advert
Old 05-29-2014, 03:31 AM   #81
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@user743: I have no idea. Try to ask the maintainer (I can PM you his email).
I know he was interested at localizing the Hebrew keyboard only.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:00 AM   #82
user743
Addict

i had no way of contacting Him that's why i asked you.

i saw the Hebrew keyboard and it looks finished besides for the vowels which need to go instead of uppercase. so you can press a vowel and then the letters come right back.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #83
aryeh
aryeh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hebrew Localisation

Hi everyone,
I've basically finished translating the Kindle Paperwhite 2 to be localised in Hebrew. I have a few typos of course that need to be found and fixed. Please email me and I'll be glad to send the update file.
Many thanks to dsmid. He was with me all the way and helped out at every step.
My email is aryehbeitz _at_ gmail.com
aryeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:56 AM   #84
dsmid
Linux devotee

Congrats aryeh.
When you are ready to release the localization, this page can be a good place to upload the release on.
Also consider writing a readme in Hebrew.
You probably know that the name of the file can be localized as well by editing config.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:22 AM   #85
aryeh
aryeh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi,
I made a site with instructions in English to install the Hebrew Localisation for the Kindle Paperwhite 2. its at http://hebrewkindle.tk
I need to work on the site design...sorry
Hebrew instructions coming soon.
I need help making the update file for the PW1. When I make the config file redirect to the PW1 version, it generates errors...
aryeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #86
dsmid
Linux devotee

Aryeh, when you change the config version to 5.4.4.1, you need to run sqlite2translation first in order to populate PW1 translation tree from PW2 translation database.
You may also need to copy other localized files from 5.4.3.1 tree to 5.4.4.1 tree (en.properties, keyboard layouts, ...)
Old 10-09-2014, 06:43 PM   #87
mobusr
Enthusiast
mobusr began at the beginning.

Device: pw2
would be nice to make this project more flexible.

e.g.:

1) instead of replacing default language just add another language pack to the kindle
2) provide detailed documentation for others how to create your own language pack based on the tools and knowledge you've used @dsmid

many thanks for your work!
mobusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #88
mobusr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
Check this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=162654
You'll need to provide your own CramFS images, to add a locale to the locales archive and to fix any unforseen problems. The process is potentially dangerous and can brick your Paperwhite.
You've been warned.
can you be more specific about CramFS ?

EDIT: I've looked more into this and it seems CramFS is very simple..

you just need to copy relevant files with either tar or rsync to tmp folder and create new cramfs.img with mkcramfs (kindle has the mkcramfs tool too), so I don't think it's a big issue.

Issue is to get all needed files to modify to get proper localization.

Last edited by mobusr; 10-09-2014 at 09:28 PM.
mobusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:07 PM   #89
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobusr View Post
can you be more specific about CramFS ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cramfs
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:28 PM   #90
mobusr
Enthusiast

thanks for the quick answer, @knc1.