Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-20-2014, 05:41 PM   #31
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
I had 47 bind mounts. Problems guaranteed.
Increase the amount of memory available to the kernel.
You used up all of one of the VFS resources.

Since your Kindle is most likely already using the largest capacity RAM chip that will fit the board -
Change the split between Kernel / User RAM and re-build the kernel.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:52 AM   #32
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Change the split between Kernel / User RAM and re-build the kernel.
Thanks for your research knc, that makes sense.
However, for me and for the users it's simpler and safer to overwrite framework/pillow files than to overwrite kernel.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2014, 07:53 AM   #33
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for your research knc, that makes sense.
However, for me and for the users it's simpler and safer to overwrite framework/pillow files than to overwrite kernel.
OH,
a **practical** solution is desired?

I may be all out of **practical** here.

Like the famous doctor said:
"If it hurts when you do that, stop doing it."

- - - - -

Seriously -
The structures you are running out of are parts in the memory resident section of kernel memory.

So adding swap will not directly help the situation.

But adding swap might reduce the general level of "memory pressure" and in-directly allow more of these structures to exist.

- - - - -

Two "end user friendly" things you may want to do:

Add a BIG RED NOTE to the release post that this add-in may have to be un-installed before doing a firmware update.

Add an "update blocker" to the installation of this package.
Just to reduce the chance of an OTA, "auto-brick" (ah, "update").
Old 02-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #34
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Add an "update blocker" to the installation of this package.
Just to reduce the chance of an OTA, "auto-brick" (ah, "update").
I'm fully aware of that.
BackDoorLock is a part of the package from day 0.
In fact BackDoorLock evolved from the installer of my K4 localization bundle.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:16 PM   #35
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I'm fully aware of that.
BackDoorLock is a part of the package from day 0.
In fact BackDoorLock evolved from the installer of my K4 localization bundle.
Right.
That is why they where "suggestions".

I am just keeping in mind we are writing for the thousands of stray readers who pass this way but never join.
Giving them a little in-sight into "why" things are the way they are.
Advert
Old 02-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #36
dsmid
Linux devotee

Localization has been officially released:
Old 02-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #37
danan72
danan72 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, KPW2
@dsmid,
Great job !!! As always

I'm translating the localization to Polish, now.
I hope, you can help me make the installation package, when it will be finished.

What do you think about including custom font sizes to the localization? Like this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1431
It should be possible to switch off by copying the file original_fontsizes (for example) to "localization" folder.
Is there any chance of this?
danan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:23 AM   #38
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
@dsmid Could you set up a transifex project to make other translations easier?
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:22 AM   #39
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by danan72 View Post
I'm translating the localization to Polish, now.
I hope, you can help me make the installation package, when it will be finished.
No problem, do you want me to generate a skeleton tree for Polish ?

Quote:
What do you think about including custom font sizes to the localization? Like this:
I don't need it, so I won't be adding it for Czech, but I can help you to implement it for Polish.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:27 AM   #40
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
@dsmid Could you set up a transifex project to make other translations easier?
I'm sorry but that's too much work. Much pain, little gain

The .translation files have a very simple structure, it's just
<ENGLISH TEXT><TAB><LOCALIZED TEXT>

They can be translated on github with a browser as well.

I will make a localization guide soon.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:50 PM   #41
danan72

Quote:
do you want me to generate a skeleton tree for Polish ?
No, thanks. I have already downloaded the source from github and I generated it myself. The polish translation is done in 70-80%.

Quote:
I can help you to implement it for Polish.
I will be very grateful to you. In my opinion, most of the original font sizes are useless (too small or too big), the same as the original margins.

Last edited by danan72; 03-01-2014 at 04:17 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:55 AM   #42
dsmid
Linux devotee

@danan72, which fontsize set from the fonthack do you want to use ?
See https://docviewer.yandex.com/?url=ya...c=5312f0149749

Last edited by dsmid; 03-02-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:02 AM   #43
dsmid
Linux devotee

@thomass, I can make a Turkish skeleton tree on github for you and import the existing Kindle Touch translation from Transifex. Would it help you ?
Old 03-02-2014, 10:40 AM   #44
danan72

Quote:
@danan72, which fontsize set from the fonthack do you want use ?
See https://docviewer.yandex.com/?url=ya...c=5312f0149749

I like best the second set - "2_21-35", with the sizes 21,23,25,27,29,31,33,35 pt.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:44 AM   #45
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
What do you think about including custom font sizes to the localization? Like this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1431
It should be possible to switch off by copying the file original_fontsizes (for example) to "localization" folder.
Implemented, check the github repository.