Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-18-2020, 08:21 AM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I prefer my books to be a complete story as well. But there might be an overarching story that can span several books to finish. That's one problem I had with the GRRM books. I also only read the first 3 books, never read the rest (also didn't watch the series). The books were simply never finished. It was one big story with no end in sight.
I don't mind a book being not complete. But in that case, I prefer to know the author is working on the next book or the next book is also available.

As for GRRM, I gave up on his A Fire and Ice series. I did see the TV series and it was good. But as for the books, I'll give them a read if he ever finishes the series. Until them, I'm staying away.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:26 PM   #77
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't mind a book being not complete. But in that case, I prefer to know the author is working on the next book or the next book is also available.

As for GRRM, I gave up on his A Fire and Ice series. I did see the TV series and it was good. But as for the books, I'll give them a read if he ever finishes the series. Until them, I'm staying away.
Quite a few of the books I read are written by authors who are no longer young so the question becomes will they finish the series before they take a ride with Charon.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2020, 01:31 PM   #78
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Some people define "stand-alone" to mean "you could read this book, not having read anything else in this series or by this author, and it would make sense as a complete story".

Others define "stand-alone" to mean "this book has nothing to do with any other book".

I think we need a new label for one of these definitions!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:34 PM   #79
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One reason I gave up watching much TV is that a lot of series meandered along like this and then either ended up being canceled without resolution, or there was series finale that wasn't satisfying.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:23 PM   #80
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Some people define "stand-alone" to mean "you could read this book, not having read anything else in this series or by this author, and it would make sense as a complete story".

Others define "stand-alone" to mean "this book has nothing to do with any other book".

I agree. Let's change the one where people are using it to mean, "could stand alone if you're willing to ignore the fact that it's technically not."
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2020, 02:23 PM   #81
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post

What series is there that has at least one book that has nothing to do with any other book in the same series. This does not mean books in the same universe.

I disagree that the first definition fits for standalone. I think it's the second definition.

Take the Dresden Files series. Most of the books have a complete story with an ending. But are they standalone? Not at all. There are references sometimes to the past and some references may not make sense without knowing what went before. You can pick a book and read it and then pick a different book and find that things have changed a lot.

The only thing I find that can be a problem is when the author writes the series out of timeline order. The question then becomes should the series be read in chronological order or in order written.

But as for standalone, can anyone take a book in the middle of a series and find it has no references to anything from a previous book and there is no noticeable change in any of the characters from any of the previous books. In other words, is the series so dull that you can pick a random book and it is stand alone?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:02 PM   #82
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Quite a few of the books I read are written by authors who are no longer young so the question becomes will they finish the series before they take a ride with Charon.
'The Alphabet ends at "Y" '
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:58 PM   #83
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
'The Alphabet ends at "Y" '
The Alpine / Emma Lord cozy mystery series by Mary Daheim has made it past Z and started over again at A!
Old 05-20-2020, 08:42 AM   #84
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
There are a couple of authors who fall in that group for me, one in particular who is not in good health and just started new story arcs in a couple of his ongoing series.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote