Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-19-2019, 06:32 PM   #31
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
True. I'll have to continue to get by on my good looks and charisma
You and me too, bro.

I consider myself an inveterate ScFi fan, but Hitch Hikers never appealed to me, beyond a few "cute" spots. For that matter I never understood the immense appeal of Foundation either though I generally like Asimov.

But getting back to "good looks and charisma", as concerns liking one thing or another: I learned long ago that you don't have to have all beautiful women in love with you. A few will suffice.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:40 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd also make a distinction between TV series that tell a specific story (eg a book adaptation), and those which are simply episodic in nature. An adaptation of a book should tell the story in as few episodes are necessary to do the job properly, whereas an episodic series (eg something like "Death in Paradise" - a police series set on a Caribbean island) can essentially go on as long as it has fresh stories to tell.
I agree that if doing a book adaptation such as The Little Drummer Girl or Sharr Objects, you do it how it needs to be done and 6-10 episodes works. But some series are too short. 6-10 episodes for a show like Death in Paradise, Still Game, Mrs. Brown's Boys, or Still Open All Hours are too short.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2019, 08:38 PM   #33
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
You and me too, bro.

I consider myself an inveterate ScFi fan, but Hitch Hikers never appealed to me, beyond a few "cute" spots. For that matter I never understood the immense appeal of Foundation either though I generally like Asimov.
I feel the same way.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:02 AM   #34
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
For that matter I never understood the immense appeal of Foundation either though I generally like Asimov...
That makes two of us. I very much like Asimov's Robots. But I only read the first Foundation book and was bored by it. Maybe I need to give it a second shot. I dunno.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:28 AM   #35
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried many times, over the years, to read the Foundation series. I was never able to get into it.
Apache
Advert
Old 02-20-2019, 12:54 PM   #36
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I tried many times, over the years, to read the Foundation series. I was never able to get into it.
Apache
Different strokes for different folks. I really liked the original Foundation trilogy, which is actually a group of novellas that more of less fit together (back in the day when magazines were the primary revenue source for authors). It is rather dated though, but a lot of the SF books from the era are a bit dated. Of course, I liked most of what Asimov wrote. There are other masters from SF whom I never could get into.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:16 PM   #37
Apache
Readaholic

I loved his Robot books and some of his stand alone books like Fantastic Voyage.
Apache
Old 02-20-2019, 02:20 PM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I loved Asimov as a teenager, but now I find his characters rather uninteresting and two-dimensional.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:46 PM   #39
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
It is rather dated though, but a lot of the SF books from the era are a bit dated. Of course, I liked most of what Asimov wrote.
The datedness of a piece of sci-fi doesn't usually bother me and isn't what bothered me with Foundation. I just never connected much with it.

Quote:
There are other masters from SF whom I never could get into.
Most of the sci-fi masters from the pulp era were no great shakes as writers. Asimov's characters were definitely wooden as Pinocchio. I always thought his robots had more personality than his humans did.

The old master I'm not a fan of is Heinlein. He's probably the best writer of the biggies (not counting Bradbury), but I prefer Asimov to Heinlein. And I like Clarke best of them all.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:22 PM   #40
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
On the whole it's because the entire series will be the output of a single writer or very small writing team, and all the episodes will be filmed and complete before the series is shown on TV.

So all the episodes of a UK TV series are essential, and there are no 'filler' episodes by guest writers, or the 'B' writing team that do not advance the plot or character development in any significant way.
Thanks I've always wondered about that too. I also appreciated the UK writers and actors as well. I'm definitely going to watch Good Omens on Prime.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:16 AM   #41
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
6-10 episodes for a show like Death in Paradise, Still Game, Mrs. Brown's Boys, or Still Open All Hours are too short.
Mrs. Brown's Boys is down to just two episodes a year.
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:23 AM   #42
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
6-10 episodes for a show like Death in Paradise, Still Game, Mrs. Brown's Boys, or Still Open All Hours are too short.
Disagree. Six to ten episodes is just about perfect in my opinion (for thirty- and 60-minute shows). Two to three for shows that have feature-length episodes is just about right for a natural arc, as well. I'm all for letting good actors have time to work on other projects.

Another thing I like about British shows is that they don't tend let to the loss of a character/actor (even a main one) bring a show to its knees. Slap someone new in there and carry on. I prefer that to the seeming fragility of US shows; with their revolving door of directors, and show-runners; their obsession with the 18-49 demographic in determining whether to renew or not (mostly not); and their star-centric raison d'être.

They still make shows (in my opinion), and we merely make products.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-21-2019 at 09:20 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:06 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Disagree. Six to ten episodes is just about perfect in my opinion (for thirty- and 60-minute shows). Two to three for shows that have feature-length episodes is just about right for a natural arc, as well. I'm all for letting good actors have time to work on other projects.
It also brings far more variety to the viewer, of course. A peak-time BBC viewing slot can show 6-10 different programmes over the course of a year, rather than the two you might get in the US. I'd much rather see an 8-episode series of a good show every year (that's the format of immensely popular shows like "Death in Paradise" and "Call the Midwife") rather than hugely longer series which might well get tedious after several months.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:36 AM   #44
Apache
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

Another thing I like about British shows is that they don't tend let to the loss of a character/actor (even a main one) bring a show to its knees. Slap someone new in there and carry on. I prefer that to the seeming fragility of US shows; with their revolving door of directors, and show-runners; their obsession with the 18-49 demographic in determining whether to renew or not (mostly not); and their star-centric raison d'être.

They still make shows (in my opinion), and we merely make products.
Quote:
It also brings far more variety to the viewer, of course. A peak-time BBC viewing slot can show 6-10 different programmes over the course of a year, rather than the two you might get in the US. I'd much rather see an 8-episode series of a good show every year (that's the format of immensely popular shows like "Death in Paradise" and "Call the Midwife") rather than hugely longer series which might well get tedious after several months.
I agree. And another plus for 6 to 10 episodes a year is the writers have more time to turn out a quality product.
Some US shows have a one week deadline for new episodes.
Apache
Old 02-21-2019, 01:09 PM   #45
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
I'm a big fan of the Sherlock series, basically 3 movie length episodes per year, plus a couple of specials that so far has lasted 4 years (2017 was the last year). I liked it so much that I went ahead and bought the whole set on the iTunes store, even though I had recorded most of them. It's been quite a few years since there has been an American TV show that I watched regularly or recorded.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote