Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #61
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Barty: you're missing a crucial framework restart there. (or at the very least a webreader restart).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #62
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
Worked here too! Thanks.

Just adding my thanks. Got Georgia truetype running on my PW2 with 5.4.2, and it looks great. (Don't ask me to share the font files though -- they're copyrighted and extracted from my licensed copy of Word.)

Just a couple of things I stumbled on, in case it helps other noobs. First, don't bother with the rescue pack -- it's not yet updated for the PW2. I also didn't set up an SSH for what that's worth -- simply because I don't know how. I had, however, already installed the jailbreak, the KUAL prerequisites and KUAL, all from NiLuJe's snapshot thread, and was also running the screensaver hack. So I had some confidence I was at a good starting point (and, also, because of screensavers, had the needed python package running too).

Downloaded the linkfonts zip file, also from snapshots, unzipped and put the extracted .bin file in my Kindle root. Then updated my firmware (do NOT press restart). Once done, I dropped my four truetype files into the linkfonts/fonts folder on my Kindle. Then restarted the framework through the KUAL menu, as NiLuJe instructs.

Here's the tricky part (at least for me). I think if you're using the four versions of true type fonts, you can skip a lot of the rest of the instructions. I went straight to the part about "font overrides" and the KUAL menu there. NiLuJe says this in his post 43, but it's not totally clear from the OP or the Readme if you only see those. Then I only selected the "condensed" version and then went to the "custom" choice and there, saw a single tab for my Georgia fonts and selected it (you get an arrow mark next to it). Quit KUAL and voila, I was done. Opened my book, selected Caecilia Condensed font, and it was beautiful. Also no need (for me at least) to go into the "freetype override" stuff.

NiLuJe, I trust you'll correct the above if I'm steering anyone wrong, but I was sort of confused by the OP and Readme, hence this post in the hope it might help someone else.

Last edited by rogerinnyc; 12-05-2013 at 11:57 AM.
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #63
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@rogerinnyc: The fact that it works right away is a byproduct of a change in how the PW2 behaves, and only applies to KF8 content, so, ideally, the process would be:

* Put fonts in linkfonts/fonts
* KUAL > Fonts > Fonts Hack Behavior > Update fontconfig cache
* KUAL > Font Overrides > Populate this menu
* KUAL > Font Overrides > condensed > Custom > *click on wanted font*

* KUAL > Fonts > Restart KF8 reader
* Check w/ a KF8 file that it doesn't blow up

* KUAL > Fonts > Restart framework
* Check w/ a Mobi7 file that it doesn't blow up

* KUAL > Fonts > Restart X
* Check UI/Mobi7/KF8 to make sure that it doesn't blow up
* Restart device

(What's in gray are the "extra-cautious" steps that should ensure that you won't have a bad surprise at the next full reboot, and in case something does go wrong, provide an easier way to fix things over ssh, so, yeah, I *strongly* recommend people to do the initial setup with an SSH shell open).

If you have a bunch of fonts you want to test, or a bunch of custom fontconfig tweaks you want to quickly test (I'm thinking upscaling CFF fonts, for example), the fastest workflow is *do stuff* > restart KF8 reader > check KF8 file.

On a sidenote, the latest snapshots (from yesterday, I think?) should have a smarter & safer serif & sans override (mainly doesn't affect the UI, and doesn't poison the non-defaults serif/sans fonts (Baskerville, Palatino, Futura)).
Useful when you forgot to tweak a book that hardcodes the default font to the serif or sans family and you're too lazy to fix it ;p.

(I'm mentioning CFF fonts because, with the BCI freetype override, and a few tweaks [nerf the metrics for smaller line-height, fontconfig tweak to upscale them a bit (6 - 18%, depending on the font)], they look *really* good! I'm currently using a slightly tweaked Adobe Garamond Pro, and it looks gorgeous, despite being known for usually being utterly terrible on e-Ink screens).

----

I'll try to revamp the docs and push updated 'release' versions this weekend, but don't take my word for it, with finals looming ahead, my schedule is a bit chaotic.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-05-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #64
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
NiLuJe: is there a link or site where those of us who are new to SSH can learn step by step how to open a shell & what to do with one? That's one thing I've been unable to find directions for anywhere, though perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #65
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaP View Post
NiLuJe: is there a link or site where those of us who are new to SSH can learn step by step how to open a shell & what to do with one? That's one thing I've been unable to find directions for anywhere, though perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places.
Have you tried the series of long posts on the subject of ssh that I have posted here?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #66
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Have you tried the series of long posts on the subject of ssh that I have posted here?
I never ask unless I've already searched both here and on Google, so no, I must have missed them. But I'll run another search for them under your user name next and try a few other keywords.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:19 AM   #67
chipf0rk
chipf0rk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd gen)
Quote:
Woohoo! JSWolf's CharisSIL looks great as a Caecilia Condensed replacement on the PW2. Nice and dark!

Font here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=67

Thanks, NiLuJe!!!
Super nice. I think this is my new fav. Thank you everyone for making using this font possible on my Kindle

Quote:
You might be. Not to be the joykill here, but to actually use SSH on a device that you could easily brick by doing so, you might first want to learn about unixoid OS and shells. You can find a lot of basic info when you google for "bash tutorial", but I recommend getting to know at least the basic unix concepts before doing stuff with a shell on your kindle.

Last edited by chipf0rk; 12-06-2013 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Additional quote and reply
chipf0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:38 AM   #68
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yup, what chipf0rk said. This is slightly out of general scope of the forum, and such a potentially vast and complex subject that it's kinda hard to jot down in a few lines without making it actually more dangerous (dumb analogy ahead: it'd potentially be like giving small children a bunch of sharp objects while only telling them that they could use them to fix their toys [not that I'm calling anyone a child, I just got up, that sounded like a fun analogy... anyyyywaaay ]). [This is also roughly one of the reason you don't see much about USBNetwork from me, even in the very posts it's offered. I figure if you need it, you know how to use it ].

And on our side, for the most basic setup of USBNet, it's as simple as install > click > plug > setup network, so, nothing much to say besides what's in the doc ;p.

Now, hopefully, the worst that can happen is you ending up on the "Your Kindle Needs Repair" screen after a reboot, and, if it is indeed because of an interaction with the Fonts hack, following either what was done in the first few posts of this thread, or at worst, doing a semi-hard factory reset will get you back in business. It's just much easier/faster to recover from on the spot via SSH, that's all.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-06-2013 at 03:44 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:16 AM   #69
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I never ask unless I've already searched both here and on Google, so no, I must have missed them. But I'll run another search for them under your user name next and try a few other keywords.
Set the prefix filter to "Tutorial", click the "apply filter" button.

One of them is still on the first page - and the series is both forward and backward linked.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:13 AM   #70
tono1020
Connoisseur
tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Cybook (Gen3, Opus), K3, K4NT, PW, PW2, KV
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@rogerinnyc: The fact that it works right away is a byproduct of a change in how the PW2 behaves, and only applies to KF8 content, so, ideally, the process would be:

* Put fonts in linkfonts/fonts
* KUAL > Fonts > Fonts Hack Behavior > Update fontconfig cache
* KUAL > Font Overrides > Populate this menu
* KUAL > Font Overrides > condensed > Custom > *click on wanted font*

* KUAL > Fonts > Restart KF8 reader
* Check w/ a KF8 file that it doesn't blow up

* KUAL > Fonts > Restart framework
* Check w/ a Mobi7 file that it doesn't blow up

* KUAL > Fonts > Restart X
* Check UI/Mobi7/KF8 to make sure that it doesn't blow up
* Restart device

(What's in gray are the "extra-cautious" steps that should ensure that you won't have a bad surprise at the next full reboot, and in case something does go wrong, provide an easier way to fix things over ssh, so, yeah, I *strongly* recommend people to do the initial setup with an SSH shell open).

If you have a bunch of fonts you want to test, or a bunch of custom fontconfig tweaks you want to quickly test (I'm thinking upscaling CFF fonts, for example), the fastest workflow is *do stuff* > restart KF8 reader > check KF8 file.

On a sidenote, the latest snapshots (from yesterday, I think?) should have a smarter & safer serif & sans override (mainly doesn't affect the UI, and doesn't poison the non-defaults serif/sans fonts (Baskerville, Palatino, Futura)).
Useful when you forgot to tweak a book that hardcodes the default font to the serif or sans family and you're too lazy to fix it ;p.

(I'm mentioning CFF fonts because, with the BCI freetype override, and a few tweaks [nerf the metrics for smaller line-height, fontconfig tweak to upscale them a bit (6 - 18%, depending on the font)], they look *really* good! I'm currently using a slightly tweaked Adobe Garamond Pro, and it looks gorgeous, despite being known for usually being utterly terrible on e-Ink screens).

----

I'll try to revamp the docs and push updated 'release' versions this weekend, but don't take my word for it, with finals looming ahead, my schedule is a bit chaotic.
I tried everything and still see empty custom folder (KUAL > Font Overrides > condensed > Custom).
On PW1 it work fine, but on PW2 some menus are mising: Update fontconfig cache, Font Hack Behaviour, Restart KF8 reader, Restart X, etc.
I put my custom fonts to linkfonts/fonts folder. I also tried "Rebuild this menu", "Refresh" and "Fonts->Restart the framework now".
I guess I should somehow rebuild font cache. The reason for missing menus is probably because KUAL don't recognize device: KUAL status line shows: build 20130816, a Unknown, but on PW1 there is text "Paperwhite" in status.

I will appreciate any help.

Firmware: 5.4.2
Jailbreak 1.8.N
Python 0.8.N
ScreenSaver Hack 0.15.N
Font Hack 0.6.N
KUAL 2.2
tono1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #71
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tono1020 View Post
I tried everything and still see empty custom folder (KUAL > Font Overrides > condensed > Custom).
On PW1 it work fine, but on PW2 some menus are mising: Update fontconfig cache, Font Hack Behaviour, Restart KF8 reader, Restart X, etc.
I put my custom fonts to linkfonts/fonts folder. I also tried "Rebuild this menu", "Refresh" and "Fonts->Restart the framework now".
I guess I should somehow rebuild font cache. The reason for missing menus is probably because KUAL don't recognize device: KUAL status line shows: build 20130816, a Unknown, but on PW1 there is text "Paperwhite" in status.

I will appreciate any help.

Firmware: 5.4.2
Jailbreak 1.8.N
Python 0.8.N
ScreenSaver Hack 0.15.N
Font Hack 0.6.N
KUAL 2.2
Did you get all of those from NiLuJe's snapshots thread?
Old 12-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #72
tono1020
Connoisseur
tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Did you get all of those from NiLuJe's snapshots thread?
Yes, except firmware or course.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #73
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@tono1020: You're not using a recent-enough KUAL snapshot (KUAL itself), or you have a device we're not aware of.

Usual questions: Country it was bought in/shipped to, first four chars of the S/N?

EDIT: I completely missed that you indeed posted the output from KUAL's status line, so, yep: you're definitely not using a KUAL snapshot, which explains the missing stuff, which explains the issues you're encountering .
Old 12-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #74
tono1020
Connoisseur

Quote:
@tono1020: You're not using a recent-enough KUAL snapshot (KUAL itself), or you have a device we're not aware of.

Usual questions: Country it was bought in/shipped to, first four chars of the S/N?

EDIT: I completely missed that you indeed posted the output from KUAL's status line, so, yep: you're definitely not using a KUAL snapshot, which explains the missing stuff, which explains the issues you're encountering .
I am using KUAL from this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203326. File is KindleLauncher-2.0.azw2, which I copied to Documents folder on Kindle. Is this the wrong snapshot?

Kindle S/N is B0D4* bought in Germany (amazon.de)
There must be something obvious I'm doing wrong, but I have no clue what it is
Old 12-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #75
tono1020
Connoisseur

Quote:

Problem solved!
You were right of course: KUAL was the problem. Now I use KUAL from KUAL-v2.2.53-g46c3929-20131128.tar.xz, unpacked with 7-Zip. Extracted file is actually different. This time I see missing menus and KUAL status line show PW2.

Thanks again NiLuJe!!

Tags
fontconfig, fonts, freetype, hacks, paperwhite, touch