Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-23-2014, 10:08 PM   #1
skootles
skootles began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Kobo Mini takes absolutely forever to set up and freezes randomly

A friend of mine tossed his old Kobo Mini my way because it wasn't working. He mentioned something about maybe the SD card being messed up but otherwise couldn't tell me why it wouldn't work.

I brought it home and when I boot it up it takes at least 5 minutes on the 'loading' screen (the happy-faced Kobo with the squares) before it gets to the setup page with the option of either setting up over wifi or through USB.

When I tried using wifi it periodically froze for a few minutes at a time and the first time gave me some generic error. The second time I tried it eventually brought me to a page where I could sign into my Kobo account but there was a javascript error popup that I couldn't dismiss (again, it had frozen).

When I trued USB various times it just got to various points in the process before freezing. The latest attempt froze when it asked me to connect the USB cable.

Not quite sure how to troubleshoot this one as it's my first time even using a Kobo. Anyone have any suggestions?

Edit: I'm comfortable opening the device up and accessing the microSD card to possibly reload the firmware if that's an issue, I'd just need a little bit of instruction. As of right now I can see the microSD card has 3 partitions on it but I can't mount them.

Last edited by skootles; 04-24-2014 at 07:54 AM.
skootles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
First try factory reset on settings screen that you navigate to from home screen. You can also do factory reset by removing outer back so you can see paper clip reset hole. With reader turned off hold paper clip in on pin hole until you can feel reset switch operate and while still holding in paper clip turn on the reader. This should return reader to original from factory condition.

If this doesn't cure your Mini's problem you need firmware image from working Kobo Mini or request a copy on this forum.
Download these 2 programs.
http://www.vconsole.com/USB%20Duplic...%20Creator.exe
http://www.vconsole.com/USB%20Duplic...e%20Writer.exe

The Flash Drive Image Writer will write the firmware image to SD card. Some Kobo Mini have 2GB Micro SD card Some Kobo Mini have 4GB SD card with only 2GB formatted. You can write Kobo Mini image to larger SD card then expand partition using G-parted or other utility filling up to 32GB SD card.

Flash Drive Image Creator will copy a good Kobo Mini SD card image to your computer so you can later recover from corrupted firmware image. This is the ultimate firmware backup if your trying other than Kobo firmware on your Mini.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200866
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezes, kobo, mini, randomly