Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-18-2020, 11:30 AM   #46
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Yes, Pulpmeister was quick. Since Mitchell died in 1939, her works became public domain on Jan. 1.
Her life was cut short by a drunk driver in 1949, not 1939.

GWTW has been public domain in life + 50 countries for 20 years.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:33 AM   #47
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Her life was cut short by a drunk driver in 1949, not 1939.

GWTW has been public domain in life + 50 countries for 20 years.
Yeah, bloody typo. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll transparently go and correct it now
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:53 PM   #48
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I checked several books and they were all available from Project Gutenberg and/or other sites. So it may have only been the formatting that was done. I'd also read his pages on how he set up the formatting/css and my impression was that it was a one man job.
The text is on Gutenberg, probably many were sourced from there. But most Gutenberg books have awful formatting.

Last edited by AlanHK; 01-28-2020 at 09:27 PM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:34 PM   #49
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
Thank you Barry!! I started reading this thread and one of the first things I thought was, "What if they are busy or otherwise occupied with the FIRES?(
I don't think many university admins are out battling bushfires.
And taking files off the server and cleaning up requires more work than leaving it be. Bandwidth for a bunch of ebooks would be insignificant compared to other media.

It was probably some bureaucrat worrying about legal issues, copyright trolls, and maybe dealing with emails about updating the site who decided to pull the plug. It no longer had anyone to fight for it and earned no money so it was deleted by default.

Last edited by AlanHK; 01-28-2020 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:00 PM   #50
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
I've got an archive of the University of Adelaide ebooks. I'm in Australia, I'd be happy to make it available if I knew it was ok to do.
I'll send off an email to the Uni library contact address and see what they say.

I've got a few, and the notice they have in them says:

Quote:
This web edition published by eBooks@Adelaide.

Last updated Wednesday, December 17, 2014 at 14:17.

To the best of our knowledge, the text of this work is in the “Public Domain” in Australia.
HOWEVER, copyright law varies in other countries, and the work may still be under copyright in the country from which you are accessing this website. It is your responsibility to check the applicable copyright laws in your country before downloading this work.

eBooks@Adelaide
The University of Adelaide Library
University of Adelaide
South Australia 5005
That's the only thing resembling a copyright notice, which is annoying since they might later claim the layout, images etc are copyright.

Also, the title page has the university crest on it.

So I would be surprised if you get a go-ahead from the university. If they pulled their own site to cover their backsides, they would never authorise anyone else to distribute these with their names on them. I hope I'm wrong.
Easy for me to say, but I'd just go ahead and upload them and it's pretty unlikely they would notice. The "public domain" statement in the books provides some cover if they ever should.

Last edited by AlanHK; 01-28-2020 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:51 PM   #51
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
That's the only thing resembling a copyright notice, which is annoying since they might later claim the layout, images etc are copyright.

Also, the title page has the university crest on it.

So I would be surprised if you get a go-ahead from the university. If they pulled their own site to cover their backsides, they would never authorise anyone else to distribute these with their names on them. I hope I'm wrong.
Easy for me to say, but I'd just go ahead and upload them and it's pretty unlikely they would notice. The "public domain" statement in the books provides some cover if they ever should.
I'll give them a bit more of a chance to respond. Still summer holidays down here. High schools are back this week, not sure if the unis have started back though.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:21 AM   #52
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
I've got an archive of the University of Adelaide ebooks. I'm in Australia, I'd be happy to make it available if I knew it was ok to do.

I'll send off an email to the Uni library contact address and see what they say.
Unfortunately the library haven't given me permission to make an archive available. They said that one of the reasons they retired the site was that they had no certainty about the copyright status of some of the items.

Given the University of Adelaide branding on all the ebooks, I will sadly go along with their wishes .
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:22 AM   #53
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
What a pity!

Thanks a lot for your efforts!!
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:20 PM   #54
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
I never read those pages about the formatting. I'm pretty sure, though, that I've found books there over the years that were not available from Gutenberg, and only as scans elsewhere. I might be wrong though.

I'm not sure I have the numbers or countries correct but I think Australia had used the life+50 rule but now they're using life+70. Canada still uses the life+50 rule so you could try the fadedpage.com site. Maybe also try freeread.com.au.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:46 AM   #55
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Australia used to be Life + 50, but that changed at the time we entered into a Free Trade Agreement with the US in 2004.

So we have PD for authors who died on or before 31 December 1953, and Life + 70 applying to any author who died on or after 1 January 1954. That is, the change to Life + 70 was not made retrospective.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:56 AM   #56
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Unfortunately the library haven't given me permission to make an archive available. They said that one of the reasons they retired the site was that they had no certainty about the copyright status of some of the items.

Given the University of Adelaide branding on all the ebooks, I will sadly go along with their wishes .
Have you tried reaching out to the folks at standardebooks?

Maybe they would be interested in having access to your archive and if so, they could strip the University of Adelaide branding and whatever else would need to be done to make the books releaseable (to coin a word).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:33 PM   #57
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Have you tried reaching out to the folks at standardebooks?

Maybe they would be interested in having access to your archive and if so, they could strip the University of Adelaide branding and whatever else would need to be done to make the books releaseable (to coin a word).
It would still go back to copyright terms.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 01:49 PM   #58
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It's time consuming rather than hard to check copyright. Google and archive.org have a rather relaxed approach.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:45 PM   #59
Kirok
Enthusiast
Kirok writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kirok writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kirok writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kirok writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kirok writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kirok writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kirok writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kirok writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kirok writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kirok writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kirok writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: iPaq
It's particularly irritating to me since I have recently found a pretty comprehensive list of free links for nearly all of the Great Books Of The Western World - I lusted after a set of these when they were a viable proposition.

Nearly everything on the list is linked to the The University of Adelaide site. I've had good luck finding most of them still on the Wayback machine. I might make it a personal project to download as many as I can before they evaporate as well.

K
Kirok is offline   Reply With Quote