Notices

Old 07-08-2019, 01:17 PM   #1
JollyRoger
Connoisseur
JollyRoger is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
[Kindle] Can't delete from device

HI
I recently found I have lost lots of books as when it says delete from device, it does not mean delete from the Kindle device, it actually means delete the book from the database!
So, how can i delete a book from the device -that is, the Kindle- without deleting it from the main database in Calibre?
JollyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:06 PM   #2
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 4
Are you sure you pressed the right button? "Delete from device" does what it says, the book should remain in the Calibre database.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:10 PM   #3
JollyRoger
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
Are you sure you pressed the right button? "Delete from device" does what it says, the book should remain in the Calibre database.
Well, it doesn't. I've been testing it tonight with a copy database, and every time it deletes it from the database
Old 07-08-2019, 04:41 PM   #4
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can you describe exactly what you are doing in Calibre?
Old 07-08-2019, 05:35 PM   #5
JollyRoger
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
Can you describe exactly what you are doing in Calibre?
Choose book that's on the Kindle. (Green tick) Right click, choose "remove matching books from device" it deletes the book from the database.

Then I tried "show books in the main memory of the device" so that only the ones on the kindle showed in the list. Right click, choose "remove selected books" and it deletes them from the database.

I can't see any other way to do it.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:16 PM   #6
LucyOne
Librocubicularist

If you select "Remove matching books from device" you should get a window where you can see which books are selected, where they are located on the device (main memory or SD card) and you need to confirm once again. This should only delete the book from the device.
Also, if you select "Remove selected books" you are asked to choose where you want these books to be deleted, Library, Device or both.
Do you also get these pop-up menus? I wouldn't know any option to change that.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:57 PM   #7
JollyRoger
Connoisseur

Well, I did it despite having done it several times last night and this time it decided to work! I have no idea why it wasn't before. Calibre is utterly reliable so I can't explain it but, thanks for helping anyway.