Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 04-04-2011, 06:05 AM   #16
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
As as regular poster who's only just been alerted to the presence of the multi-quote button by this thread, I feel a) grateful, and b) a bit embarrassed.

Graham
Please, don't feel embarrassed

Until kindlekitten suggested it to another poster a few months ago I was not aware about this feature too. The problem lies with posters who are well aware about it, or who were not and were politely told about it and still they ddn't change their behaviour.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:33 AM   #17
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
That's the point.
It is easier for the poster, i.e. inconsiderate, selfish.
I guess you got me wrong.
User "D" replies to posts of users "A", "B" and "C" via multiquote. Now user "A" wants to quote the passage that was intended for him and reply to "D". "A" has to edit the quotation and remove all irrelevant passages (that were intended for "B" and "C"). Hence one could also say that it was selfish from user "D" to use the multi-quote feature. Using multiple posts instead of a multi-quoted one is better for your discussion partners sometimes imho.

Last edited by netseeker; 04-04-2011 at 06:38 AM.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 07:41 AM   #18
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
"A" has to edit the quotation and remove all irrelevant passages (that were intended for "B" and "C").
But "A" should always edit the quotation to remove irrelevant passages, as I did. Even if a post as a single subject and theme, more often than not replies are about a single sentence or paragraph, and that's what should be quoted.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #19
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Re: netseeker
I think we are arguing for the sake of argument.
Both of us know what type of behaviour is being discussed and criticised here.
And yes, you almost always edit the quoted post for different reasons. One of the reasons could be to get rid of unnecessary text.

We are not talking about breaking rules, but about etiquette, in other words general courtesy. Posting 4+ posts in a row, shows the lack of it. Disregard of other members.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:43 AM   #20
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Some posters just want to be different.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #21
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
You wanna know what bugs me about quoting? Not breaking any addresses for videod, photos, music, etc., in the quote. So then the aforementioned embedded object keeps being copied again and again.

I soooooo do NOT want to sand walls today. Arms and shoulders are sore.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #22
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
You wanna know what bugs me about quoting? Not breaking any addresses for videod, photos, music, etc., in the quote. So then the aforementioned embedded object keeps being copied again and again.
How True.

Quote:
I soooooo do NOT want to sand walls today. Arms and shoulders are sore.
Please explain. Was this just a comment about your day, or does it have some other meaning?
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #23
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
How True.

Please explain. Was this just a comment about your day, or does it have some other meaning?

I'm remodelling my bathroom. Gotta sand the joint compound on the new drywall before painting it tomorrow. It's too early for deeper meaning in a shallow soul like mine. Yawn stretch scratch yawn again.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #24
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm remodelling my bathroom. Gotta sand the joint compound on the new drywall before painting it tomorrow. It's too early for deeper meaning in a shallow soul like mine. Yawn stretch scratch yawn again.
LOL. Awww. Well best of luck with the bathroom. Remodeling can be a huge chore. We went through it with our kitchen after a pipe burst and ruined all of our cabinets. We took the kitchen apart, and redesigned it ourselves, but then hired out to put the new cabinets in. Thank goodness for insurance.

What I don't get is that they offered to pay for the kitchen, not the pipes.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #25
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Even if a post as a single subject and theme, more often than not replies are about a single sentence or paragraph, and that's what should be quoted.
I agree - but does this make single replies/quotes wrong per se?

Quote:
We are not talking about breaking rules, but about etiquette, in other words general courtesy. Posting 4+ posts in a row, shows the lack of it. Disregard of other members.
I beg to differ. Implying that using single replies/quotes is lack of courtesy seems to be quite a stretch to me, a hasty generalization if you will.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #26
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
I beg to differ. Implying that using single replies/quotes is lack of courtesy seems to be quite a stretch to me, a hasty generalization if you will.
Even if there are 5 posts one after another by experienced users who know about multi-quote feature? And they do it all the time? Not just once?
Old 04-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #27
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
As as regular poster who's only just been alerted to the presence of the multi-quote button by this thread, I feel a) grateful, and b) a bit embarrassed.

Graham
don't be ;o) it is obvious when there are people who don't understand it versus those being jerks about it

Quote:
Please, don't feel embarrassed

Until kindlekitten suggested it to another poster a few months ago I was not aware about this feature too. The problem lies with posters who are well aware about it, or who were not and were politely told about it and still they ddn't change their behaviour.

Quote:
I guess you got me wrong.
User "D" replies to posts of users "A", "B" and "C" via multiquote. Now user "A" wants to quote the passage that was intended for him and reply to "D". "A" has to edit the quotation and remove all irrelevant passages (that were intended for "B" and "C"). Hence one could also say that it was selfish from user "D" to use the multi-quote feature. Using multiple posts instead of a multi-quoted one is better for your discussion partners sometimes imho.
it's NOT that difficult.

Quote:
I agree - but does this make single replies/quotes wrong per se?

there are two people that come to mind immediately that come to mind that are blatant about it. it is VERY difficult to follow a conversation when they are bringing multiple quote forward from several pages in the conversation. I have seen it take up more than a "page" on the screen

Last edited by Verencat; 04-05-2011 at 03:04 PM. Reason: fixed quote
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #28
netseeker
sleepless reader

Quote:
Even if there are 5 posts one after another by experienced users who know about multi-quote feature? And they do it all the time? Not just once?
Well, i have to admit that such extreme examples can be annoying. Such examples are just exteme examples though.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #29
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
My husband calls it "talking to William Shatner". You know, how he adds odd pauses in the middle of his sentences (or when he's making fun of himself, every other word). The constant single posts feels like a very uncomfortable, staccato, conversation.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #30
netseeker
sleepless reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
it's NOT that difficult.
What's your point?