Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 09-15-2015, 06:13 AM   #1
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
calibre 2.38: refresh on "browse image in book" does not seem to work

I did a change to some pictures (replace from file) and saved the book without closing it. Then using the "browse images in the book" it still did show the old pictures. Using the "Refresh" button made no difference. Opening the changed pictures one-by-one did show the new ones correctly.

Closing the edit session completely and reopening the eBook for editing showed now the correct pictures when using "browse images in the book".

Somehow the editor function "browse images in the book" is not aware that pictures are changed.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:19 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I cannot replicate this. Steps I tried:

1) Open book
2) Click View->Browse images
3) Close image browser
4) Right click on an image int he left panel and replace from file
5) Click Viewe->Browse images
6) Updated image is shown
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2015, 08:53 AM   #3
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
I've seen something similar when pasting images as a quick & easy way of replacing an image I've edited; what I discovered is if you hit save after the paste (while the image is the current file), it works; if not, it sometimes loses the change. I can't provide a reproducible case but I've learnt to live with it by saving at the right moment.
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:42 AM   #4
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm, seems that saving in between might have to do with it.
My steps:
1 - open image to view it on screen
2 - export image
3 - enhance image externally
4 - replace image from file
5 - close open image
6 - save
7 - open image to see the update (which always works!)
8 - repeat the above steps for other pictures
9 - when all done, "browse all images", which shows "old" image versions

In due time, I will try it again with another ebook
Old 09-16-2015, 09:38 AM   #5
DrChiper
Bookish

Curiously, only the first picture is, after being changed, correctly shown in its changed format with function "Browse images". All subsequent changed pictures still show their original format in "Browse images".
Using "Refresh" does not cure this.
Closing and reopening the "Browse images" does not cure this.

Double clicking on an seemingly unchanged image in the "Browse images" window opens a new tab-page which does show the changed image format, evidence that it is pointing to the correct (changed) image.

So it seems that the "Browse images" preview somehow still uses the old thumbnail images and that it is only updated once for the first changed image.
Advert
Old 09-16-2015, 10:36 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I cannot replicate that either. Changing two images causes both changed images to show up in the image browser for me.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:39 AM   #7
DrChiper
Bookish

I can reproduce this effect using other ebooks, on another (windows) environment and with an older calibre version.

So, normally I open the image directly to see whether the changes are there and never really bothered to use the "Browse image" function other then to get a quick overview.
In this case I changed a lot of pictures and wanted to use the "Browse images" to see if I perhaps missed one and was stunned as it looked like hardly any of the pictures were changed (only the first).

Although I don't think that this is a major issue, it still is strange. But I can live with it
Old 09-17-2015, 12:49 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
I can reproduce this effect using other ebooks, on another (windows) environment and with an older calibre version.

So, normally I open the image directly to see whether the changes are there and never really bothered to use the "Browse image" function other then to get a quick overview.
In this case I changed a lot of pictures and wanted to use the "Browse images" to see if I perhaps missed one and was stunned as it looked like hardly any of the pictures were changed (only the first).

Although I don't think that this is a major issue, it still is strange. But I can live with it
Dr C

I use the Unpack option in Calibre, and simply navigate to where images are stored for that book. I just use the standard file manager (Image pre-)viewer ( to look. You can even use your favorite image editor on it, just don't touch the file name.

My other way uses the Tools: Reports: Images to review the summary
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:10 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
These changes look like they were prompted by your issue.

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...4cc663e097ebfd
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...afed83be3c9d25

See if the next release of calibre resolves things.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:29 AM   #10
DrChiper
Bookish

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Dr C
I use the Unpack option in Calibre, and simply navigate to where images are stored for that book. I just use the standard file manager (Image pre-)viewer ( to look. You can even use your favorite image editor on it, just don't touch the file name.
Yes, I know that route, but I prefer the straight forward routine I'm currently using.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:33 AM   #11
DrChiper
Bookish

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
See if the next release of calibre resolves things.
I will. And as there seems to be no release this week, I come back to it probably next week.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:56 AM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, I can understand why there's no release this week. calibre has apparently reached a milestone where things are mostly stable, and Kovid has recently begun skipping a weekly release when not much has been changed.
Only 8 non-recipe commits this week. And none of those were earth-shattering.

Sorry.

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-18-2015 at 02:58 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:10 AM   #13
DrChiper
Bookish

Yes, calibre seems to be pretty feature complete. You can see it also in the forum: sometimes there is no new entry for a day.

We should now consider gathering features for version 3.x
Old 09-18-2015, 03:18 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The weekly release schedule is going to be somewhat sporadic in the near future. Most things in calibre now require major rewrites that take time, for example, the new content server, or dropping QtWebKit and refactoring all the code that depends on it. Once a few of those re-writes are done, there should be enough small features/bugfixes to get back to weekly releases.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:05 AM   #15
DrChiper
Bookish

Ah, so there is a lot of work going on under the hood. Nice to know, but indeed hardly visible for us mortals

Keep up the good work,
so we can store, cleanse and tidy up our books to have a good read