Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-14-2017, 11:12 PM   #121
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
Thanks. Also available at Amazon.ca for $CDN 1.99
https://www.amazon.ca/Lincolns-Bisho.../dp/B00FJ313UY
Thanks for the acknowledgment.

Thanks, also, for sharing the $CDN price. I'd love to have pricing information for countries like Canada, Great Britain, Australia, and others, for all of my book posts (Little.Egret is great at that), but it's hard to find the extra minutes to do that. I probably wouldn't have looked up the Canadian Amazon price anyway, thinking that few people up there would even know who he was. But maybe (let's hope!) that they know American history better than I know Canadian history! Ack!
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:50 PM   #122
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Thanks for the acknowledgment.
I was aware that Lincoln had commuted most of the death sentences, but I did not know any of the details. Thanks for the post on the book; it looks interesting, and a great price, too.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2017, 01:29 AM   #123
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Margaret R. Bunson's 2-Volume Encyclopedia of Ancient Egypt--FREE from Issuu.com.

Please make sure that you read the copyright information, at the end of this post, that I have taken from Issuu's website under the heading "copyright FAQ." Some of their free offerings seem almost too good to be true, and I wanted to make as sure as possible that you and I can legally download materials found on the site.

I've known about this website, called Issuu, for two or three years. It appears to be mainly a platform for the digital publication, and free distribution of, magazines, especially "trade" magazines. But, they also have a relative handful of free ebooks and other publications that people or publishers have uploaded to the website. A very few come from the Internet Archive. That's about all that I know about it.

I finally got around to perusing their website a little bit, to look for freebies. I found a couple of ebooks that I thought that I would make short posts about. Both of these are free to download (probably only in PDF, but I haven't actually downloaded any of them myself, yet). There are some ebooks on their site that the publisher or whoever lets you read to your heart's content, but you cannot download.

Some stuff that I posted about Egypt two or three years ago seemed to go over well, so I've selected this 2-volume Encyclopedia of Ancient Egypt, by Margaret R. Bunson to post. They are part of the Facts on File Library of World History, and is published by Facts-on-File (I like their publications). It is the third edition; the first volume, at least, was published just last month, January 13, 2017. Here are the links and some other information about them.

Part 1. Least expensive copy at Amazon - $52.69 (Hardcover, Used-Good); apparently not available in digital form there.
Part 2. $9.05 (Hardcover, Used-Good); apparently not available in digital form there.

Some statements from Issuu.com's Copyright FAQ:
Issuu takes the rights of intellectual property owners seriously, and complies as a service provider with all applicable provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. As stated in our Terms of Service, Issuu enforces its policy barring the upload of infringing material onto the Issuu Service. We respect the rights of copyright owners and we ask that you do the same . . . . The Terms of Service further state that when you upload a work to Issuu, you grant to Issuu a license to use and distribute your uploaded content. This eliminates any doubt that Issuu's use and distribution of your content through the Issuu service does not infringe your, or anyone else's, copyright. This is only a license -- you (or the person who authorized you to upload the content) still hold the copyright to the content you upload . . . . If we are notified that a document you have uploaded on Issuu infringes someone’s copyright, we will notify you and take down the document you posted. This is required by law. If you persist in uploading unauthorized content, we will, pursuant to our Repeat Infringer policy, ban you from using Issuu.
It sounds like they are very serious about not knowingly posting copyrighted material without permission.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 02-16-2017 at 02:15 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:57 AM   #124
LJJohnson
Groupie
LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: -- Home is where the RV stops (Texas ~6 months/year)
Device: Kindle Fire HDX, Fire HD, Paperwhite,Android & Windpws phones
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Please make sure that you read the copyright information, at the end of this post, that I have taken from Issuu's website under the heading "copyright FAQ." Some of their free offerings seem almost too good to be true, and I wanted to make as sure as possible that you and I can legally download materials found on the site.

I've known about this website, called Issuu, for two or three years. It appears to be mainly a platform for the digital publication, and free distribution of, magazines, especially "trade" magazines. But, they also have a relative handful of free ebooks and other publications that people or publishers have uploaded to the website. A very few come from the Internet Archive. That's about all that I know about it.
Thanks for posting. I had grabbed some items off their site, but hadn't looked at them lately. Found quite a bit about mythology, Egyptian and other, on the site.
LJJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:02 PM   #125
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJohnson View Post
Thanks for posting. I had grabbed some items off their site, but hadn't looked at them lately. Found quite a bit about mythology, Egyptian and other, on the site.
Thanks.

After sleeping on it last night, I think that I'm going to pass it by a moderator and get his or her opinion about keeping the post up. The problem is, many of these books are of such high quality/so expensive that, as I said, it seems to be too good to be true.
Advert
Old 02-16-2017, 07:36 PM   #126
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Charles River Editors, free

Weird Ireland: A History of Ancient Mysteries, Fantastic Folklore, and Urban Legends Across the Emerald Isle

Versailles: The History and Legacy of France's Most Famous Royal Palace

The Yakuza: The History of the Notorious Japanese Crime Organization

The Rosicrucians: The History of One of the World's Most Notorious Secret Societies

https://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search...ld-title=-kids

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?url=sear...ld-title=-kids

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?url=search-...ld-title=-kids
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:04 PM   #127
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

FREE Exhibition Catalogue of Roman Mosaics across the Empire, Held at The Getty!

Awesome.

I'm talking about a new book from the J. Paul Getty Museum, Roman Mosaics in the J. Paul Getty Museum, by Alexis Belis. One of most awesome things about it is that's is free.

This is a catalogue published on the occasion of an exhibition at the Getty Villa, called Roman Mosaics across the Empire. I know of several museums which offer old exhibition catalogs for free, but this one is of a very recent exhibition, one held just this past March 30 through September 12, 2016. I happen to love mosaic art, as well as ancient Roman history and culture, and I hope that one or more of you MobileReaders share my interest in one or more of them.

I count viii + 80 pages. There are charts, diagrams, maps, and lots of color photographs.

Here's a little bit more information about the book, if you care to read it. People say that a picture is worth a thousand words, however, so you may wish just to scroll down past this information to learn how to view the free book and download a free copy.
The mosaics in the collection of the J. Paul Getty Museum span the second through the sixth centuries AD and reveal the diversity of compositions found throughout the Roman Empire during this period. Elaborate floors of stone and glass tesserae transformed private dwellings and public buildings alike into spectacular settings of vibrant color, figural imagery, and geometric design. Scenes from mythology, nature, daily life, and spectacles in the arena enlivened interior spaces and reflected the cultural ambitions of wealthy patrons. This online catalogue documents all of the mosaics in the Getty Museum’s collection, presenting their artistry in new color photography as well as the contexts of their discovery and excavation across Rome's expanding empire—from its center in Italy to provinces in southern Gaul, North Africa, and ancient Syria.

Here's how to get your free ebook:
1) Navigate to this webpage.
2) If you don't see a dark gray bar on the far lefthand side, but only a photo of what I assume is the book cover, click on the menu at the top righthand corner, and then it should appear. Find the word "Downloads," on the bar. Click on it. A drop-down menu should appear.
3) You will notice several choices under "Downloads." The first three choices are of digital versions of the book--ePub, mobi/Kindle, and PDF. What it doesn't tell you there is that they are all free. In fact, you can download, free, all three formats if you would like to. Click on the format(s) that you want.

I believe this to be a legal free download based on statements made inside the book, as well as numerous statements made on the Getty Museum website including this one:
Reflecting the Getty's commitment to open content, Roman Mosaics in the J. Paul Getty Museum is available online at www.getty.edu/publications/romanmosaics and may be downloaded free of charge in multiple formats.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 02-16-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:19 PM   #128
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On sale at Amazon.ca today for $CDN 2.99
Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America by Ibram X. Kendi
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B017QL8WV4

This book won the 2016 National Book Award for Nonfiction
Old 02-19-2017, 05:38 PM   #129
bfisher
Wizard

On sale today ay Amazon.ca

Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson for $CDN 2.99
https://www.amazon.ca/Furiously-Happ.../dp/B00V37BC4C

Freakonomics Rev Ed by Steven Levitt for $CDN 1.99
https://www.amazon.ca/Freakonomics-R.../dp/B000MAH66Y
Old 02-22-2017, 03:39 PM   #130
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
X-link to the DRM-free thread for a new Humble Bundle:

Humble Book Bundle Arduino & Raspberry Pi presented by Make: consists of home tech hobbyist guides for robotics and DIY gadget-making enthusiasts.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:33 PM   #131
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Battleship Potemkin: The History and Legacy of the Famous Mutiny aboard the Russian Ship

Francis Scott Key: The Life and Legacy of the Man Who Wrote America's National Anthem

Warfare in the Era of Pike and Shot: The History and Legacy of the Military Strategies that Ushered in Modern Warfare

And Charles River Editors in Spanish

Los Jesuitas: Historia y legado de la Compañía de Jesús, Orden Religiosa de la Iglesia Católica
(Spanish Edition)

https://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search...eractive+-kids

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?url=sear...eractive+-kids

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?url=search-...eractive+-kids
Old 02-23-2017, 07:16 PM   #132
Little.Egret
Wizard

Add

The Quakers: The History and Legacy of the Religious Society of Friends

America's Most Famous Natural Wonders: The History of the Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls, Yellowstone National Park, and Yosemite National Park

Shays' Rebellion and the Whiskey Rebellion: The History and Legacy of Early America's Domestic Insurrections

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post

The Battleship Potemkin: The History and Legacy of the Famous Mutiny aboard the Russian Ship

Francis Scott Key: The Life and Legacy of the Man Who Wrote America's National Anthem

Warfare in the Era of Pike and Shot: The History and Legacy of the Military Strategies that Ushered in Modern Warfare

And Charles River Editors in Spanish

Los Jesuitas: Historia y legado de la Compañía de Jesús, Orden Religiosa de la Iglesia Católica
(Spanish Edition)

https://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search...eractive+-kids

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?url=sear...eractive+-kids

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?url=search-...eractive+-kids
Old 02-23-2017, 07:27 PM   #133
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Add

The Quakers: The History and Legacy of the Religious Society of Friends

America's Most Famous Natural Wonders: The History of the Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls, Yellowstone National Park, and Yosemite National Park

Shays' Rebellion and the Whiskey Rebellion: The History and Legacy of Early America's Domestic Insurrections
Thanks.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:10 PM   #134
Little.Egret
Wizard

Shorts by Hourly History

Erwin Rommel: A Life From Beginning to End

Ancient Egypt: A History From Beginning to End (Ancient Civilizations Book 2)

Joseph Stalin: A Life From Beginning to End

George Patton
: A Life From Beginning to End

https://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search...Hourly+History

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?url=sear...Hourly+History

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?url=search-...Hourly+History
Old 02-25-2017, 03:40 PM   #135
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Academic Book Comparing Greek and Indian Philosophies--Very Highly Rated and $1.99!

This is an outstanding deal. Here's why: It is . . .
1) 94% off of the regular digital list price (don't adjust your monitor--that's 94%!) of $34.99.
2) $1.99. In real dollars, that's $33 cheaper than you would pay if you had to pay the regular digital list price.
3) A massive book (if you can call a digital book massive)--768 pages in length.
4) A highly rated book at Amazon; a very highly rated book at GoodReads.

Frankly, this is one of the best deals, on a book of this quality, that I've seen in a long time. I have to wonder if this is not a pricing error; thankfully, I've been able to buy a copy for myself at $1.99.

If you have more than a passing interest in the subject (I am one of those who does)you will want to grab this deal if and while you can!

The Shape of Ancient Thought: Comparative Studies in Greek and Indian Philosophies. By Thomas McEvilley. Rated 4.3 stars, from 41 reviews at the present moment at Amazon; rated 4.34, from 107 ratings st the present moment at GoodReads. Print list price $34.99; digital list price $34.99; Kindle price now $1.99. Allworth Press, publisher. 768 pages. https://www.amazon.com/Shape-Ancient.../dp/B007704Y80.

Book Description
This unparalleled study of early Eastern and Western philosophy challenges every existing belief about the foundations of Western civilization. Spanning thirty years of intensive research, this book proves what many scholars could not explain: that today’s Western world must be considered the product of both Greek and Indian thought—Western and Eastern philosophies. Thomas McEvilley explores how trade, imperialism, and migration currents allowed cultural philosophies to intermingle freely throughout India, Egypt, Greece, and the ancient Near East. This groundbreaking reference will stir relentless debate among philosophers, art historians, and students.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 02-25-2017 at 03:49 PM.