Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-01-2018, 10:17 PM   #1
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
KOA2 getting hot in the sun

I was reading yesterday on the terrace on my Oasis 2 in the sun (it was in official cover). After not very long time I noticed that the case is getting rather hot from the sun (only case, not the screen). I took it out of the cover, kept on reading, but it kept on getting hot, so in the end I switched and continued reading on Oasis 1.
Has anybody else used KOA2 to read in the sun?
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:25 AM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Only in the winter, and it was not a problem. This spring it has been too cool and breezy to read outside.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2018, 09:51 PM   #3
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, it would be interesting to see how it goes for beach reading. It was 27 C in the sun when I was using it.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:41 AM   #4
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe and Libra Colour
I was reading it outside the other day, went away for a while, came back and the metal casing was super hot, and the kindle had shut down and was displaying a temperature warning. It was a very hot day though. Like 29C. But it's only going to get hotter here in Texas...
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:56 AM   #5
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
I am guessing that the bigger screen area causes it to absorb heat faster than a smaller screen would.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2018, 05:22 PM   #6
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I've only started using my Oasis 2 outside, being in New England it's only started to be nice enough to read in the sun. I didn't notice it getting hot while reading, but I also leave it under a lawn chair in the shade when I'm not reading. I also did this with my Voyage as well. I do agree though that the metal casing, will probably get hot, even in a case while in the sun.

I guess I just haven't used it enough yet outside to really notice if the Oasis will get too hot while reading. My guess is that it would after a while on a hot 80's + temps. I'll have to use it more to know for sure.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:18 AM   #7
Lady Stardust
User

I think it is the casing that gets hot on KOA2 and that it doesn't have anything to do with the size of the screen.
I believe that Oasis 1 I have is in plastic casing (I read somewhere it's a metal case coated in plastic), while Oasis 2 is metal (not coated in plastic) and that's what makes it become very hot in the sun. My problem is that I didn't leave it outside in the sun, I was just sunbathing and reading on it and it became hot to a point that I didn't feel comfortable holding it any more.
I wonder once the summer season starts globally if this will be an issue and if there is anything that can be done.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:00 AM   #8
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Maybe the federal government will fund some research on why things get hot when left in direct sun. I'm sure it's something that could be solved by simply raising taxes.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:09 AM   #9
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The only thing I can think of for a quick remedy for my Oasis getting too hot, would be to bring a small insulated cooler outside with me. I usually have a cold drink with me like a water bottle, so If I put that in the cooler as well, and the Oasis starts to get hot ( I think it will after a while in the sun ) I would just put it in the cooler with the cold drink to cool it down and keep it from overheating. It's water proof so I think that would work. Maybe keep an extra water bottle that I'll freeze and leave it in the cooler as well.

Other than that , maybe they will make chill covers for the Oasis 2. Made out of gel substance and it can be chilled while reading ? If enough people see the Oasis 2 getting too hot to read, it would be a problem and Amazon might start selling them or 3rd party chill covers. e ink devices are perfect for reading outside, so they would have to come up with something if people can't because they get too hot .

Last edited by Wearever; 05-04-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:38 PM   #10
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
The only thing I can think of for a quick remedy for my Oasis getting too hot, would be to bring a small insulated cooler outside with me. I usually have a cold drink with me like a water bottle, so If I put that in the cooler as well, and the Oasis starts to get hot ( I think it will after a while in the sun ) I would just put it in the cooler with the cold drink to cool it down and keep it from overheating. It's water proof so I think that would work. Maybe keep an extra water bottle that I'll freeze and leave it in the cooler as well.

Other than that , maybe they will make chill covers for the Oasis 2. Made out of gel substance and it can be chilled while reading ? If enough people see the Oasis 2 getting too hot to read, it would be a problem and Amazon might start selling them or 3rd party chill covers. e ink devices are perfect for reading outside, so they would have to come up with something if people can't because they get too hot .
What I'd worry about with this is that the hot/cold temperature change would be hard on the glass substrate of the reader--causing it to break...
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:52 PM   #11
Lady Stardust
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Maybe the federal government will fund some research on why things get hot when left in direct sun. I'm sure it's something that could be solved by simply raising taxes.

Held in the sun was my case though
Old 05-05-2018, 11:56 AM   #12
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
What I'd worry about with this is that the hot/cold temperature change would be hard on the glass substrate of the reader--causing it to break...
This is true, but I would want to cool it down as soon as possible. Especially if it had the warning signal that it was over heating. Placing it in the cooler till it cools down to normal and can be handled again. Hopefully I would remember to take it out before it freezes.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:01 PM   #13
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
On Saturday, I read some on my Oasis 2 outside in the sun at lunch. It was a bit over 20C (around 70F) and about 50% cloudy with light clouds and a light breeze, with the O2 in the official Amazon cloth cover on a table. Although the O2 did not get hot, I was surprised at just how warm it got. Yesterday I read quite a bit longer inside with the O2 coverless in my hands. It never felt warm at all.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:14 PM   #14
Wearever
Wizard

I read outside at lunch today, in the mid 70's and sunny. I did notice the black border with the buttons did get a little hot to the touch. I use a case that folds back ,and the back was warm but not hot. I'll have a better idea of how hot it gets when we have 80's, it might get too hot to hold then. At least in bright sun. I think reading in the shade with the Oasis 2 might be best for temps 80's plus.

I used a PW3 last year and it got warm but not too hot to hold with a cover in the sun.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:22 AM   #15
OregonJim
Enthusiast
OregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipedia

Location: Atop a wooded hill in the great piney forest, Oregon
Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
I would want to cool it down as soon as possible. Especially if it had the warning signal that it was over heating. Placing it in the cooler till it cools down to normal and can be handled again. Hopefully I would remember to take it out before it freezes.
That is a very bad idea. Condensation will form almost instantly, not only beneath the screen surface, but on the internal circuitry as well. That's about the quickest way to kill any electronic device. It may be "waterproof", but it's not hermetically sealed, so the internal humidity will reach equilibrium with the external.

We've had a string of 100F+ days here (about 38C), and I've been reading outside on my KOA2 each day with no ill effects. Granted, I don't sit in direct sunlight at that temperature (ouch!), but no overheating problems as yet. I seem to remember the specs saying the maximum operating temperature is 95F, so I'm clearly testing the limits...

Last edited by OregonJim; 08-19-2018 at 03:33 AM.
OregonJim is offline   Reply With Quote