Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-05-2018, 12:54 PM   #1
3ldn1k
3ldn1k began at the beginning.

Device: kt3 basic
kt3 basic, poor brick without diags, u-boot only, how to send backup files?

please i need help, in case that i cannot solve more than three full days in warm spring Arambol village, near my laptop with blinking uart module. . .

i have brick kt3 basic (all - new ereader 2016) 5.9.4 before brick.
it was done with wrong diags image send to fasboot, when i stuck in diags.
i have full backup made by tools backup, of same 5.94 j.b. (from another kindle)
i can't boot to fastboot, or even bist, due kernel error, all i have - uboot with mmc commands.

please, someone told me about sending and writing backup files through u-boot.
i eat a tons of mobileread and other u-boot similar forums
no idea

is it possible to send and write backup files through u-boot, or it is throw-away-pad only?
i still in amazon guarantee year, but kindle seems like photoframe with cool 2 color led.

Last edited by 3ldn1k; 08-14-2018 at 11:52 AM.
3ldn1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:04 PM   #2
3ldn1k

unbricked

Thread solved by myself.

i learn how to put backup images through u-boot command prompt near to emmc, without any working diags, fasboot, and bist.
only plain uboot.
now i have clean 5.8.0, after bricked 5.9.4

tomorrow go to 5.8.11 w/jail

now i go to sleep after slleepless 0x48h... eeh... 48 hours
Advert
Old 04-07-2018, 07:26 AM   #3
3ldn1k

tutorial to unbrick kindle kt3 basic 2016, after flashing wrong diags over fastboot

-----

Last edited by 3ldn1k; 08-14-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:47 AM   #4
3ldn1k

tutorial to unbrick kindle kt3 basic 2016, after flashing wrong diags over fastboot

(to moderator: please update this post, because previous has errors in [color])
hello, world.
... few days ago i send wrong image to diags_kernel partition, it bricks my reader.

Image on screen freezed with "Reboot and enter fastboot mode." message, reader stucked in bootloader, with attempt to boot diags, but has no diags partition:

Now, here is my "uboot unbrick from no-diags method", commands is bold:
  1. solder serial (make good, better if all-soldered connections), establish u-boot connection (i use linux and minicom terminal, with file transfer abilities).
  2. start kindle, wait for uboot terminal connection, when boot process crash with:
    <...>
    BOOTing diags from mmc ...
    mmc1(part 0) is current device
    MMC read: dev # 1, block # 29392, count 28672 ... 28672 blocks read in 319 msec: OK
    MMC read: dev # 1, block # 29192, count 256 ... 256 blocks read in 6 msec: OK
    Wrong Image Format for bootm command
    ERROR: can't get kernel image!
    <...>
  3. here, in uboot prompt, you can use help command, try bist and then fastboot, if it doesnt work - go next steps, and if you are lucky, and fastboot possible - go to step #16
  4. uboot > printenv
    output will be similar like this (we need only values from red strings):
    Spoiler:
    <...>
    baudrate=115200
    boot_fdt=no
    bootcmd=run diags_boot
    bootdelay=3
    console=ttymxc0
    diags_boot=echo BOOTing diags from mmc ...; run setmmcdev; run loadkernel_diags; run loadd}
    fdt_addr=0x83000000
    loadaddr=0x80800000
    loaddt=mmc read 0x83000000 0x208 0x100;
    loaddt_diags=mmc read 0x83000000 0x7208 0x100;
    loadkernel=mmc read 0x80800000 0x2D0 0x7000;
    loadkernel_diags=mmc read 0x80800000 0x72D0 0x7000;

mmcargs=setenv bootargs console=${console},${baudrate} root=${mmcroot} uart_at_4M
    mmcargs_diags=setenv bootargs console=${console},${baudrate} root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootwait w
    mmcautodetect=yes
    mmcdev=1
    mmcpart=2
    mmcroot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootwait rw
    setmmcdev=mmc dev 1 0;
    stderr=serial
    stdin=serial
    stdout=serial
    testboot=echo BOOTing from mmc ...; run setmmcdev; run loadkernel; run loaddt; run mmcargs}

Environment size: 940/8188 bytes
    uboot >
    <...>
  5. next, send file to memory with loady command:
    uboot > loady
  6. press ctrl-a, then release keys and press 'S', choose and send diagkern.bin from your backup (i used minicom terminal, you can send image to loadpoint by different methods), choose ymodem protocol, wait for loading, press any key.
  7. uboot > md 0x80800000
    (it shows you first part of your image in memory (now you can compare it with diagkern.bin file)
  8. remember or write address, where file loaded:
    <...>
    Ready for binary (ymodem) download to 0x80800000 at 115200 bps...
    <...>
  9. look at loadpoint in emmc with md 0x83000000 command, you can see some code, from wrong, previous flashed flashed "diags_kernel" partition.
  10. uboot > protect off all
    (very important step, because next step - write blocks to EMMC)
  11. uboot > mmc read 0x80800000 0x208 0x24B8
    uboot output:
    <...>
    uboot > mmc read 0x80800000 0x208 0x24B8
    MMC read: dev # 1, block # 520, count 9400 ... 9400 blocks read in 107 msec: OK
    <...>
  12. uboot > mmc write 0x83000000 0x208 0x24B8
    uboot output:
    <...>
    uboot > mmc write 0x83000000 0x208 0x24B8
    MMC write: dev # 1, block # 520, count 9400 ... 9400 blocks write in 272 msec: OK
    <...>
  13. uboot > bootm 0x83000000
  14. uboot > bist
  15. uboot > fastboot
  16. to flash diags kernel over fastboot - take file diagkern.bin, from working 5.9.4 backup, open new terminal window, and send fastboot command:
    > fastboot flash diags_kernel diagkern.bin
    in linux you must use sudo before fastboot. also, here you can flash other backup files.
  17. uboot > bootm 0x83000000
  18. reset, for reboot kindle.
  19. to let system boot in main mode - open new terminal window, and send fastboot command:
    > fastboot set bootmode main
  20. Job Well Done! (c)Darkwing Duck

2018, Dr.01d
Old 04-07-2018, 08:55 AM   #5
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
You can use the "EDIT" button to edit a post, you don't need a moderator
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2018, 09:45 AM   #6
3ldn1k

Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
hi, i am don't have edit button in posts or anywhere in personal settings, maybe because i am new member?
Old 04-07-2018, 10:51 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Not yet.
Click his nickname in left info box -
See? No "send private message to ..." in the dropdown box.
Which means he is still under the "new member restrictions" - which also prohibits edit/deleting his own posts.
And since we do not have a forum moderator ...

What a waste of #16 000
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 12:08 PM   #8
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
I didn't know about this restriction.
It's a stupid restriction
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:17 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
I didn't know about this restriction.
It's a stupid restriction
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fa...ing_guidelines
Section #11

I agree, there are better ways to control automated forum spam but the software Mobileread is running is very old.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:00 PM   #10
kapaggar
kapaggar began at the beginning.

Device: KT3
Red face You dont have to open kindle chassis in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ldn1k View Post
hello, world.
... few days ago i send wrong image to diags_kernel partition, it bricks my reader.

Image on screen freezed with "Reboot and enter fastboot mode." message, reader stucked in bootloader, with attempt to boot diags, but has no diags partition:

2018, Dr.01d[/LIST]
You dont have to open kindle chassis in this case.
What you faced was not a bricked KT3 it was in the adb mode. exactly this happened with me .. I tried everything keeping button pressed for minutes but "Reboot and enter Fastboot mode" wont go away then finally after 5-10 minutes I used android adb shell to get inside the diags mode.

probably some soul will wander here and see this comment.
kapaggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:29 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yeah, thanks to @kapaggar's experience and the images he graciously provided, I may end up fixing the RP install, but this isn't on top of the TODO list right now, since that involves rewriting the install script, something I never did because it's a PITA, it's boring, but crucial, and if I fuck it up it's potentially awful.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:43 AM   #12
kapaggar
kapaggar began at the beginning.

Device: KT3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ldn1k View Post
please i need help, in case that i cannot solve more than three full days in warm spring Arambol village, near my laptop with blinking uart module. . .

i have brick kt3 basic (all - new ereader 2016) 5.9.4 before brick.
it was done with wrong diafs image send to fasboot, when i stuck in diags.
Hi 3ldn1k, you said you were able to send diags image over fastboot to your KT3. Can you tell me
1. How you entered fastboot in your kindle.
2. Which host was ( Win7/MacOS/Linux ) was used and which fastboot you had to use .

I am stuck somewhere in boot after I did idme -d bootmode fastboot in main mode and restart. I am hoping its in fastboot mode and I am not able to connect to it yet.

I tried a couple of fastboot binaries and now I am waiting for UART/USB converter to arrive.
- tried kindle fastboot compiled on my mac
- tried https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=170929
https://github.com/TobiasWooldridge/Fastboot-Kindle
Right now testing https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=171460

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=88 mentions we need diff fastboots for diff Kindle device models. Can you please tell which one you used to get in fastboot.
kapaggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:01 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The upcoming RP snapshots (20180530) should *hopefully* behave sanely with this KT3 diags variant.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:13 PM   #14
3ldn1k

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapaggar View Post
You dont have to open kindle chassis in this case.
What you faced was not a bricked KT3 it was in the adb mode. exactly this happened with me .. I tried everything keeping button pressed for minutes but "Reboot and enter Fastboot mode" wont go away then finally after 5-10 minutes I used android adb shell to get inside the diags mode.

probably some soul will wander here and see this comment.
Hi!, no, it is not an ADB mode on attached picture lol))), it is last message, that appeared on a e-ink display before i have brick.
It is not an Android in Kindle basic, (even other Kindle readers) it is "Linux Kindle" inside, thats why we dont have adb mode, we have only "diags" mode, and it is absolutely different thing. No way to use adb shell with kindle devices, because ADB - it is Android Debug Bridge, and it works only with android-based devices.

Last edited by 3ldn1k; 08-13-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:01 PM   #15
3ldn1k

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapaggar View Post
Hi 3ldn1k, you said you were able to send diags image over fastboot to your KT3. Can you tell me
1. How you entered fastboot in your kindle.
2. Which host was ( Win7/MacOS/Linux ) was used and which fastboot you had to use .
Hello, do you still need help?, I just now read your message sorry.

1. To get fastboot shell you need to solder uart to mainboard, connect usb to your laptop, then you need to open terminal (better is minicom on a linux, because it have upload ability), next - you need configure minicom, for right connection speed, then reboot reader (just unplug and plug battery again), when you can see some output to your terminal - you can see message - press any key to fastboot mode (or something like that) and press any key. Next type "bist", press enter, type "fastboot", enter again, you log in fastboot shell.
(it maybe some different steps, when you in u-boot, i am not sure, because i am unbricked my kindle about a half year ago)

2. i have used linux and windows7 on my laptop, and cp2102 USB uart module to getting shell. I have used Debian-based distro, with "minicom" terminal and simple fastboot package from Debian distro.

When i used Windows - I have used "putty" as a terminal on a Windows for gettng shell, and simply fastboot, it does not matter which fastboot package you need, every fastboot works fine, when you go deeper

Last edited by 3ldn1k; 08-14-2018 at 12:58 AM.