Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-09-2018, 02:16 PM   #16
J_K
Enthusiast
J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: H2O 2, Aura 2, Clara HD, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Are you sure of this? I'm sure the discussion when it came out was that it had an IR screen. The reviews I can find state IR touch (eg). And it has a raised bezel. That suggests IR rather than capacitive.
Yes. Both Edition 2s (Aura and H2O) use capacitive screens. I can confirm that they do not react like the Touch's IR screen. The bezels are very shallow on the Edition 2s.

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...disappointing/ says "I think the reason for this is the fact the new H2O uses a capacitive screen instead of infrared like the original H2O and Kobo’s other earlier models. Somehow the glass layer on the Aura One isn’t as affected by it, since it has a capacitive screen as well. I had assumed the new H2O would use an infrared touchscreen since it has an indented screen like the original model, but it’s only indented like 1 mm and there’s no sign of any infrared sensors."
J_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:42 PM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_K View Post
Yes. Both Edition 2s (Aura and H2O) use capacitive screens. I can confirm that they do not react like the Touch's IR screen. The bezels are very shallow on the Edition 2s.

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...disappointing/ says "I think the reason for this is the fact the new H2O uses a capacitive screen instead of infrared like the original H2O and Kobo’s other earlier models. Somehow the glass layer on the Aura One isn’t as affected by it, since it has a capacitive screen as well. I had assumed the new H2O would use an infrared touchscreen since it has an indented screen like the original model, but it’s only indented like 1 mm and there’s no sign of any infrared sensors."
That is interesting because the review I pointed to has: "The new Kobo Aura H2O runs Kobo's proprietary software on a 1GHz Freescale SoloLite CPU with 512MB RAM. It has the same 6.8", 1430 x 1080 resolution, screen and IR touchscreen as its predecessor..."

And every bit of discussion I can think of here is that it has IR touch. And the same goes for the Aura Edition 2. The question was asked when both were released and the answer came back that they were IR. I'm a bit surprised this hasn't come up since then
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2018, 09:31 AM   #18
J_K
Enthusiast
J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: H2O 2, Aura 2, Clara HD, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That is interesting because the review I pointed to has: "The new Kobo Aura H2O runs Kobo's proprietary software on a 1GHz Freescale SoloLite CPU with 512MB RAM. It has the same 6.8", 1430 x 1080 resolution, screen and IR touchscreen as its predecessor..."

And every bit of discussion I can think of here is that it has IR touch. And the same goes for the Aura Edition 2. The question was asked when both were released and the answer came back that they were IR. I'm a bit surprised this hasn't come up since then
It's also interesting to note that the H2O 2 has a visible capacitive grid. You can see it in the image from this review here https://hd.tudocdn.net/677628?w=660&h=660

That probably accounts for the darker background over IR models. I wonder why they did it? It's not on the capacitive Aura Edition 2. Nor the Aura One.

Maybe the grid is for greater touchscreen accuracy or maybe for greater light evenness? Both have been criticisms of other Kobo models. The light on the H2O 2 is very impressive. Especially under artificial light.
J_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:31 AM   #19
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
How’s the battery life on the edition 2? How many hours of reading do you actually get? I never think to turn off wifi👀

Thanks,

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:37 AM   #20
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfan View Post
The biggest difference IMO is that the H2O2 has no SD card, which means it's limited to 8GB of storage.
8 gigabytes is hardly limited. I have nearly 600 ebooks in my collection, including a couple dozen large "complete collections" ebooks, and it's not even 2GB. 8GB should be more than enough for anybody.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2018, 11:47 AM   #21
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
8 gigabytes is hardly limited. I have nearly 600 ebooks in my collection, including a couple dozen large "complete collections" ebooks, and it's not even 2GB. 8GB should be more than enough for anybody.
On the One and the H2o2 the available space for storage is 6.7 Gb. And on the One where I have some 3600 items, including my reference library and a number of PDFs, I have only 1.6 Gb available. The covers eat up 1 Gb, .kobo 0.5 Gb (0.4 for the database, 0.1 for dictionaries). So yes, it is enough now, but it could be a tight fit within a couple of years.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:11 PM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
On the One and the H2o2 the available space for storage is 6.7 Gb. And on the One where I have some 3600 items, including my reference library and a number of PDFs, I have only 1.6 Gb available. The covers eat up 1 Gb, .kobo 0.5 Gb (0.4 for the database, 0.1 for dictionaries). So yes, it is enough now, but it could be a tight fit within a couple of years.
The larger amount of internal storage just encourages bad behavior on our part. At some point you should start deleting books you've read (I know, I don't do it either), because managing too many books will cause the reader's software to have issues.

The question is how much storage space is 'enough'? For me, 3.5-4GB seems to be the sweet spot.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:24 PM   #23
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The larger amount of internal storage just encourages bad behavior on our part. At some point you should start deleting books you've read (I know, I don't do it either), because managing too many books will cause the reader's software to have issues.

The question is how much storage space is 'enough'? For me, 3.5-4GB seems to be the sweet spot.
I love having access to so many books, and it is not a problem with the improvements in the latest F/Ws. My rule of thumb would be to leave at least the equivalent of the database free, but otherwise to add at will. Of course if it becomes a problem, as it used to, I'll start pruning.
But I reread quite a lot, especially when tired (my comfort blanket), and I have catalogs on the reader to help find my next reads. And I do eliminate from the device books I can't see myself rereading or referencing.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:55 PM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
...And I do eliminate from the device books I can't see myself rereading or referencing.
You're better than me. I'm also a rereader and I'm lazy. Once that book is on the Aura's SD card, it stays there. Even so, I only have, I think, 3.25GB filled.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:11 PM   #25
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
8GB should be more than enough for anybody.
It isn't. I have about 12GB worth of books/papers/etc on my device, and my library is small relative to some of the other posters here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Just because I've read a book or paper once doesn't mean I might not want to reference it again later. And the percentage of books on the device that I've read is fairly small; deleting them wouldn't affect the overall numbers much.

Even a primitive DB like sqlite can scale to tens of thousands of rows (probably hundreds) without issues. I certainly have no problem with ~4000-5000 files on my H2O.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:40 AM   #26
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Perhaps my ereader usage is atypical? Well, at least compared to folks who post on this forum.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:45 AM   #27
mahtin
google this
mahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermahtin can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: kobo h2o2, bookeen muse frontlight, resurrected. Fire HD8.
“640K ought to be enough for anybody.”

Had my h2o2 nearly a month, no aurora borealis on the nightlight, which I really like.
mahtin is offline   Reply With Quote