Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2017, 06:59 AM   #1
mcpprofjai
mcpprofjai began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS900
Sony Reader PRS-900 fonts are not dark

My Sony Reader PRS-900 fonts are not dark (blurred). I've searched forums to see any articles helps me to increase darkness of font. Nothing found. Service manual for PRS-900 is not available and other manuals refer to go to Test mode and there is no test mode software is available to download. Also, let me know whether you have lastest software to upgrade my PRS-900. Please let me know.

Thanks in Advance

Jay
mcpprofjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:04 PM   #2
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Sony Readers, Kobo Touch Edition, iPhone
Hi Jay,

The manual for the PRS-900 is here:
https://www.e-reading.club/readers/files/52/PRS900.pdf

You're right that there's no contrast adjustment on that model. There's also no newer software, either official or unofficial.

If you had a PRS-300/350/505/600/650/950, you could install PRS+ and its additional system settings which adds the contrast adjustment option.

Anyway, you can mitigate the issue a few ways:

1. use larger fonts
2. use the device in landscape for even larger fonts
3. edit the ePub to make all text bold, see this thread

Good luck!

Last edited by gingerbeardman; 11-20-2017 at 07:45 PM.
gingerbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2017, 01:01 AM   #3
mcpprofjai
mcpprofjai began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS900
Thanks gingerbeardman for your answers.

I've been looking for Repair Manual for PRS900, The link you shared is for user manual. Also, There is a way to increase a darkness when i see the other Repair manuals, it give instructions to enter into Test Mode and get files from manufacturer. But, I've tried searching for software files to enter Test Mode, i didn't get any results, but definitely the files available with service persons.

Thanks a lot for other suggessions you have provided to see font better.

I have tried to flash the reader with the following flashes but i don't see any changes to the device.

PRS900.Flash.Package.1.02d.zip
PRS900.Flash.Package.1.02e.zip
PRS900.Flash.Package.1.03b.zip
PRS900.Flash.Package.1.04c.zip
PRS900.Flash.Package.1.05a.zip
PRS900.Flash.Package.1.06a.zip
PRS900.Flash.Package.1.06b.zip
PRS900.Flash.Package.1.06c.zip
PRS900.Flash.Package.1.0a.zip
mcpprofjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:27 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 900 has problems. The first problem is the touch layer. It makes the screen look like a mirror. Also it makes the screen not as clear as it should be. Next, the default fonts are lousy. There's nothing you can do to change that. All you can do is embed better fonts in your ePub eBooks.

Unless you want to buy a Kobo o replace your 900. A Kobo Aura H2O 2nd edition would be much better to read with. You can adjust the font weight to your liking and you have more options, a proper aspect ration screen (instead of just stretched), a high-resolution Carta screen, and a front light (with the blue light removing orange light). The screen on the H2O2 is going to be much sharper and clearer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 04:31 PM   #5
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Sony Readers, Kobo Touch Edition, iPhone
@JSWolf dismissing @mcpprofjai's choice of reader is not helpful, nor is saying "buy a different reader". They are obviously here because they'd rather not buy a different reader and want to try to fix what they have and are otherwise happy with.

Which is why I offered some alternative ways of increasing legibility on the PRS-900.
gingerbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2017, 05:21 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbeardman View Post
@JSWolf dismissing @mcpprofjai's choice of reader is not helpful, nor is saying "buy a different reader". They are obviously here because they'd rather not buy a different reader and want to try to fix what they have and are otherwise happy with.

Which is why I offered some alternative ways of increasing legibility on the PRS-900.
The default fonts are what they are. They cannot be changed. The only way to change the fonts is to embed different fonts.

Making the font size larger may not be wanted. Making the font bold won't work in every case as some books do use bold. Landscape may not be wanted. There isn't a solution other than to embed or a different Reader. The 900 has a touch layer that diminishes sharpness and contrast. There's nothing that can be done about that. It is what it is and it is not all that good and what the OP wants is not able to be done easily. No firmware version will help. There are no hacks/mods for the 900 to fix this. Only embedding a font with more weight such as ChareInk will work. But the problems such as reflection and what I mentioned won't be going away.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-25-2017 at 05:25 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:43 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
All of Gingerbeardman's suggestions are fine - as they stand. Unfortunately, in my opinion, they don't go far enough with this reader due to the inherent limitations of the technology at the time.

You see, ebook technology has really passed the Sony 900 by. I owned one, and Jon is correct in what he says, although we do differ on our opinions concerning the Kobo/Kindle choices. (It's all a matter of choice, I feel.)

You may - if you wish - take a trip over to the "Which one should I buy" forum and read over some of the threads there on choices for new readers. When (or IF) you decide to buy a new reader, it's always helpful to get other member's opinions regarding the different readers that are out there.

So, without dismissing the reader you own, please realize that your reader is rather long-in-the-tooth and that other - newer - readers will give you additional benefits.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs-900bc