Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-22-2017, 01:51 PM   #106
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrevent View Post
Knc1, Thank you for the additional instructions too:
I ended up reinstalling the jailbreak again (which turned out to be not necessary at all. Just in the probably rare case someone else has difficulties there: In Step 8.a of the jailbreak: the unarchiver I used created a folder with the name kual-mrinstaller-1.6.N-r13408 in the Kindle directory. It needed to be deleted: Only the contents of that folder should be in the Kindle).
After that ;log mrpi worked.
I also installed KUAL (put the KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 under the documents folder.)
After that, put the Update_acxe_7_install bin file under the mrpackages folder.
Opened Kula/ Helper and chose "Install Mr packages". The screen blinked, "user interface was initiated."
So I assumed that the bin file was installed.
After that, I put the gtranslator file under system/acw. Restarted the device.
Still no luck though...
(I tried both of the gtranslator files)
MrPI should have written a log file, see what it says.

The package may not have installed.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:18 PM   #107
mrevent
Zealot
mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: kindle 3w, dxg, 5, Kv
Right again.

" Beginning the processing of package 'Update_acxe_7_install.bin' (acxe 7 I) . . . Package 'Update_acxe_7_install.bin' (acxe 7 I) is not targeting your device"... and "skipping . . . "

Sorry, didn't know about the log files, not installed indeed... Something I have been doing incorrectly then?
mrevent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:08 PM   #108
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Right again.

" Beginning the processing of package 'Update_acxe_7_install.bin' (acxe 7 I) . . . Package 'Update_acxe_7_install.bin' (acxe 7 I) is not targeting your device"... and "skipping . . . "

Sorry, didn't know about the log files, not installed indeed... Something I have been doing incorrectly then?
No.
Update_*.bin files are 'model locked' (same as Amazon updates, since we are using the Amazon updater).

In NiLuJe's snapshots thread are binary's for KindleTool (most recent, which will include your KV model).
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

Beware, the Cygwin build looks too old and the Linux 32bit may be too old also.

You just have to convert the update_*.bin package to a tar.gz file and then re-package that archive specifying your device.
Two command line commands.
There are multiple posts here on the procedure.

Also, KindleTool without any arguments puts out a large help listing.

Edit:
After looking at the package source, I see that it modifies the system initialization files.
Which could "brick" a device if not suitable for that firmware/model pair.

Since the KV does not have a serial port, you will not be able to de-brick it.

Best that you wait for someone to at least test this application on the newer models.

Last edited by knc1; 02-22-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:13 PM   #109
mrevent
Zealot
mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Good that they are safely model locked then. I tried to install that bin file more than 1 time, even used the uninstall bin to apply install bin again etc. Glad that none of them could work!
Indeed, I should wait… and cry over unfulfilled hopes
Thanks for your time and good intentions I've learnt a few things at least…

Last edited by mrevent; 02-22-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:23 PM   #110
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Good that they are safely model locked then. I tried to install that bin file more than 1 time, even used the uninstall bin to apply install bin again etc. Glad that none of them could work!
Indeed, I should wait… and cry over unfulfilled hopes
Thanks for your time and good intentions I've learnt a few things at least…
The *.src archive has a build script in it.
Which calls KindleTool with -Kindle5
That (in KindleTool) means all touch screen devices.

The only thing that saved you was the KindleTool that packaged the application did not know about the 6th, 7th, and 8th generation models at the time.

Following the link in the first post to the Wiki article will tell some (Kindle experienced) ambitious soul how to test the application on the newer models, without bricking them at least.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:54 PM   #111
mrevent
Zealot

That is scary! Well, this has been an interesting "kindle adventure;" lots of tension, back at the beginning in the end but glad to have survived by luck.
Until the "ambitious souls" come up with suitable files then...
Old 06-22-2017, 05:39 PM   #112
tristanphan
tristanphan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Could you add Vietnamese to the Google Translate ACX? That would be really appreciated. By the way, this works really well on the Kindle Paperwhite 3 on FW 5.7.4.
tristanphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:21 AM   #113
kindlepunk
kindlepunk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3W
Anything like this for Kindle 3W?
kindlepunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:15 AM   #114
prepare
prepare began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Google Translate

Hi!
I have a jailbrokened Kindle Paperwhite (PW3) with a firmware version of 5.9.6.1. KUAL und MRInstaller also installed.

I copied Update_acxe_7_install.bin in to the mrpackages folder, than I installed with Helper+.
Through USBNetwork copied gtranslator.acx file to /mnt/us/system/acw and also to /opt/amazon/acw (I had to make this folder because it wasnt exist after ACXE Install).

Reboot my Kindle, but unfortunately didnt change anything: I should see an extra option when tapping on a word but I see no changes.
Could you please help me? What did I do wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Best regards
prepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:43 AM   #115
prepare
prepare began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepare View Post
Hi!
I have a jailbrokened Kindle Paperwhite (PW3) with a firmware version of 5.9.6.1. KUAL und MRInstaller also installed.

I copied Update_acxe_7_install.bin in to the mrpackages folder, than I installed with Helper+.
Through USBNetwork copied gtranslator.acx file to /mnt/us/system/acw and also to /opt/amazon/acw (I had to make this folder because it wasnt exist after ACXE Install).

Reboot my Kindle, but unfortunately didnt change anything: I should see an extra option when tapping on a word but I see no changes.
Could you please help me? What did I do wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Best regards
Update!
MRInstaller log file:
Package 'Update_acxe_7_install.bin' (acxe 7 I) is not targeting your device [201 vs. 11 0F 10 24 1B 1C 1D 1F 20 D4 5A D5 D6 D7 D8 F2 17 60 62], skipping . . .

Are there any chance to use Google Translate on PW3?
prepare is offline   Reply With Quote