Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-25-2019, 04:12 PM   #1
poppe
poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'poppe can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Onyx Boox i86
~10" tablet, android, no eink

Hi.
I'm looking for a new tablet for reading and wonder if any of you have any suggestions?
Pen:
I would like ot be able to take notes on it as well and it to work good with a pen.
Light:
Since I will be reading on it I like it to not to be very heavy to hold during long houres.
Design:
I like to have bezels since I like something to hold on to while reading without blocking the screen.
Storage:
At least 32GB of storage and an SD-card slot.
Screen:
High resolution (ppi)
Be able to dim the display a lot when reading in dark situations.
Perhaps not a PWM dimmed display.
Perhaps a oled screen, what is your suggestions?
Processor:
I like it to be snappy; e.g. when using color-dict (star dict files)

Budget up to 600$

Last edited by poppe; 12-26-2019 at 10:52 AM.
poppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:10 PM   #2
Wanderer
Wanderer began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I'm in the same position, myself, and I just started looking at potential candidates - to me the Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e seems like a decent choice (the newer S6 is a lot more expensive without really justifying its price for my use cases) - might be worth considering for you too since it seemed to fulfill many of your requirements.

To be honest though, I'm not really a tablet guy so hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in as well!
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2020, 01:31 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
look at huawei media tab range - much cheaper than samsung but with equivalent specs

also, fire hd10 2019. dunno about pen support but it ticks the other boxes
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:53 AM   #4
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
If reading in the dark is important, then OLED displays are significantly superior to LCD ones. Blacks in OLED are true black, so you can get a much dimmer colour-on-black display than you can with LED displays.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:59 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
If reading in the dark is important, then OLED displays are significantly superior to LCD ones. Blacks in OLED are true black, so you can get a much dimmer colour-on-black display than you can with LED displays.
true, but OLED costs way more than LCD.

much cheaper to run a blue light filter app and dim the LCD to taste, or use night mode settings

a good reader app like Moon + , which will run on any make of android tablet, allows for a wide range of both background and foreground custom colours, for reading
Advert
Old 01-08-2020, 10:35 AM   #6
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
true, but OLED costs way more than LCD.

much cheaper to run a blue light filter app and dim the LCD to taste, or use night mode settings

a good reader app like Moon + , which will run on any make of android tablet, allows for a wide range of both background and foreground custom colours, for reading
The point is that an LED tablet, even when displaying a totally black screen, will be emitting light. An OLED screen won't.
If you are reading in low light, you wouldn't notice the difference. If you are reading in the dark, you would.
You certainly pay an awful lot more for it, but if reading in the dark is very important, it might be worth it.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:13 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard

but do actual OLED tablets exist, given that the smallest OLED TV you can buy is 55 inches
( with 48 inch " coming soon" )
https://www.whathifi.com/us/news/you...8-inch-oled-tv
I know Samsung offer AMOLED but is that the same technology
( not quite says Quora)
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-di...its-advantages

seems strange if so, that you can have 10 inch, you can have 55+ but you cant have anything in between ?

for the record, I used a samsung S1 10 inch amoled tablet for a couple of years before switching to Lenovo & Huawei. I can't say that i ever noticed any real difference between AMOLED , LCD, TFT, IPS etc in my 10 inch devices; and I do read in the dark, but not on super-dimmed
the type of screen tech would be way down my list of must have features. I'd want high ppi, 32GB or more storage, latest android, full HD support for streaming video from all sources, high quality audio, large battery capacity... before getting to that

Last edited by stumped; 01-08-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:28 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
look at huawei media tab range - much cheaper than samsung but with equivalent specs

also, fire hd10 2019. dunno about pen support but it ticks the other boxes
Forget Huawei or Amazon tablets. Both are based on but not quite Android and they are not based on Android 10. So you get a tablet with an Android like OS that's old.

Currently the best Android tablet available is the Samsung Galaxy Tab S6. It Android 9 with an Android 10 update due before the summer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:49 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard

amazon use a heavily customised fork of Android, true. Always have, always will, but side-installing google services overcomes much of that. and they cant be beaten on price, especially if you wait for amazon sale events

Huawei is actually closer to pure android than samsung, and does not come with anything like the amount of useless non-removeable bloatware that samsung ship ( in my opinion). My media pad is running android 9, it is approved for full 1920x 1080 HD by both amazon and netflix ( no samsung can claim that, you get one but not the other...)

the issues Huawei have with USA has greatly depressed the prices of their tablets. so you get a samsung-like experience at 1/2 the price of a samsung, with an insignificant risk of being spied upon?

for pure reading experience, maybe samsung AMOLED is better, I can only repeat that i could never see any diffference btween Samsung Then Lenovo, & now HUAWEI. maybe others with better eyes can.... but with the money you save you can afford to also have a decent Kobo e-ink for night time reading. { that's what I currently do, I use tablets in the day time, then switch to my Kobo Libra for any late evening reading )
Old 01-08-2020, 01:01 PM   #10
stumped
Wizard

Ps. Probably I over-rate this but for me, availability of cases/covers is important.
My Lenovo yoga was a great device but the strange form factor meant no really good covers. And with the Huawei I went for having the rugged surround and back for drop protection so I miss out on having a simple flap to close for autosleep. My fire tablet has an Amazon flap case so I get the convenience but probably the drop protection is not so good.
Anyway, before buying an expensive tablet I do suggest thinking about protecting it and looking at what is available. A lot of people make Samsung covers but that also means there is a lot of inferior cheap rubbish out there.
I never mastered the black art of applying screen protectors but most good tablets have easy clean, hard to scratch glass screens
Old 01-08-2020, 03:19 PM   #11
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
but do actual OLED tablets exist, given that the smallest OLED TV you can buy is 55 inches
( with 48 inch " coming soon" )
https://www.whathifi.com/us/news/you...8-inch-oled-tv
I know Samsung offer AMOLED but is that the same technology
( not quite says Quora)
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-di...its-advantages

seems strange if so, that you can have 10 inch, you can have 55+ but you cant have anything in between ?

for the record, I used a samsung S1 10 inch amoled tablet for a couple of years before switching to Lenovo & Huawei. I can't say that i ever noticed any real difference between AMOLED , LCD, TFT, IPS etc in my 10 inch devices; and I do read in the dark, but not on super-dimmed
the type of screen tech would be way down my list of must have features. I'd want high ppi, 32GB or more storage, latest android, full HD support for streaming video from all sources, high quality audio, large battery capacity... before getting to that
I would think for the purpose of achieving true dark AMOLED and OLED are the same.

To see a difference between LCD and any kind of LED without LCD in front of it, adjust text on both to be the same brightness on both and look at an all black image on both on a dark room. The LCD will be gray, the *LED will be black.

LG TVs use WRGB OLED, that is each of the 4 sub-pixels is white and 3 of them have a red, green, or blue passive filter in front. LG sells all the 55" and 65" panels they can produce. Smaller panels can not be cut from their current production sheets without wasting material. A new plant will be coming online which should enable smaller TV screens.

Samsung has years of experience making AMOLED for phones. The problem is that AMOLED can not be scaled to large screens, not that TV OLED screens can not be made smaller.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:55 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Read the following for the difference between AMOLED and OLED.

http://www.differencebetween.net/tec...ed-and-amoled/
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:21 PM   #13
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Read the following for the difference between AMOLED and OLED.

http://www.differencebetween.net/tec...ed-and-amoled/
That is not a particularly good article and has some inaccuracies as well.

In any case there is no difference in how dark either can get (both can get completely dark).

It also hints that AMOELD is not cost competitive at TV size and offers no quality or performance advantage over ordinary OLED except a small power saving. I also believe that AMOLED have uniformity problems at TV screen sizes.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10", oled, pwm