Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-22-2019, 02:04 AM   #1
BrokenDynamo
BrokenDynamo began at the beginning.

Device: none
How to view book and code side by side?

After Edge stop supporting ebooks view l have to depend on sigil to review the book, so instead of shift between them how to view both at the same time.
BrokenDynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 02:17 AM   #2
BrokenDynamo
BrokenDynamo began at the beginning.

I found tab called preview, is there a way to navigate pages without double click it?
BrokenDynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2019, 02:39 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
What is seen in Preview is driven (selected) from what HTML file has active focus in code view (it does not 'preview' any other than files in the Text Section).
You may sync the panes (either way), by clicking on text.

Preview is not intended as a EPUB Reader (lacks traditional chained navigation)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:06 AM   #4
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I set up my display with Book Browser on the left, very narrow, with most of the screen divided equally between Code View and Preview, which is docked on the right. (Currently using Sigil 0.9.18, since I find that it's a bad idea to buy an automobile in the first year of a model run.)

Thus arranged, Preview is just about the size of a "page" on my Fire tablet, and just as easy to read. (It would be nice to have the ability to add a bit of leading to the lines.) I use Liberation Mono for Code view, since that's the typeface I use for writing html documents in WordStar, and I use Georgia for Preview, since Georgia is my favored typeface for print editions.

Preview is a brilliant feature, especially now that the linkage runs both ways: click on a line in Code View, and Preview jumps to that spot, and vice versa. And clicking on a hotlink in Preview opens the web page in Google Chrome. For me, it's the perfect way to proof and massage a book.

And "massage" is the operative word. I think you will find that few of the posters here, especially the more vociferous ones, have ever actually WRITTEN a book, so they don't understand how authors work. If I need to rewrite a section, I'll take it back into WordStar to do the work, but otherwise I have no problem making changes in Code View and seeing the words adjust themselves in Preview. I can't imagine a better setup for a writer, if he/she/it is a touch typist.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:59 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenDynamo View Post
I found tab called preview, is there a way to navigate pages without double click it?
ALT+PgUp/Down keyboard shortcuts (while Preview is open/visible).
Or CTRL+PgUp/Down if you want to use the order of the already open tabs.
Or you can try thinking about the file you want to preview really really hard (but that's still a highly experimental feature).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-22-2019 at 08:07 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2019, 08:17 AM   #6
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Thus arranged, Preview is just about the size of a "page" on my Fire tablet, and just as easy to read. (It would be nice to have the ability to add a bit of leading to the lines.)
It is possible.

Create or edit the custom_preview_style.css file in the Sigil Preferences folder. Where's the folder?
Open "Preferences" and click on the "Open Preferences Location" button in the lower left corner. It's there.

Add to custom_preview_style.css file this line:
Code:
p {line-height: 2;}
Change the value 2 to one that suits you best.

This change will, of course, ONLY affect the preview pane and may facilitate final file checking. We do not change anything in the EPUB file, so the style does not change there.

Because – as far as I remember – you always use the same CSS in your EPUBs, it fulfills your need completely.
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:35 AM   #7
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interesting. My gripe is quite the opposite! Despite my approaching-septuagenarian eyesight, I find the default line spacing on many devices (and many printed books) excessive, and my first stage in setting up a new reader is an attempt to reduce it.

But configurability is always good :-)
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote