Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-24-2019, 11:59 AM   #391
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks a lot for the recent patches. Any chance for a link target to the Web Browser? (the one from Beta Features).
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 03:59 AM   #392
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
For the next version, would love to see "Change Browse Kobo home screen link target" versions for Settings and/or Beta Features!
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2019, 05:34 AM   #393
Wallace Lee
Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura second edition
my personal dream list:

1) EPUB files fast-resizing: adding a fast re-size command with 5-6 pre-set sizes to choose from. Maybe using the two fingers command? I resize my fonts very often (every time I am tired of reading I make the sizes larger than usual. I read for work - I work in the literary field). The need to enter a secondary menu in order to resize my epubs and having a trillion of sizes is a little too slow process.

2) ALL FILES: The option of saving some light+fonts 'presets' for your books. You enter a Epub, PDF or CBZ, and save a combination of [fonts size (or zoom) + light (power and colour)]. Then you call it: "bedtime" or "metro" or "train". I am asking this for I like to read with over a white background, but getting a 'white paper' effect depends on WHERE I do read and it's lightning. I do always change the power and colour my device accordingly to what needed to get a white 'paper'. But when I read at my desk is different from when I read in my bed, and retuning the device every single time is annoying. Having the option to save presets would be awesome.

1) add a contrast / gamma correction to PDF and comics (similar to fonts thickness). Seriously, the Kobo needs this VERY BAD. Kobo's E-ink has nothing less than the unbelievable performance of Tolino's 'ink'. It's just a matter of contrast / gamma.
.NOTE FOR DEVELOPERS: I always thought the TOLINO's E-ink technology was superior until I found a software that let me correct the voice GAMMA for my PDFs and comics. As I added a 40% of darkness to my files, the kobo got on par with Tolino.
Wallace Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:46 AM   #394
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyaxe View Post
Thanks a lot for the recent patches. Any chance for a link target to the Web Browser? (the one from Beta Features).
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
For the next version, would love to see "Change Browse Kobo home screen link target" versions for Settings and/or Beta Features!
Yes, these ones are probably possible, as they have a bx pc before them and are compiled for tail-calling. I just need to check that they don't use r0, and figure out where I'll get the string from.

For a link to settings, try replacing the first replace value with F7 F6 19 B5. For the browser, try 1B F7 51 B1. For beta features, try 06 F7 CB B4. This is untested (I'm doing this from my phone) and doesn't include the string, but it should launch properly when you press it. The worst that will happen if this is wrong is that nickel will crash and reboot, and you'll need to disable the patch (or try a different replacement).
geek1011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:49 AM   #395
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace Lee View Post
my personal dream list:
These requests are a bit too much to do in a patch, and some aren't even reasonably possible (changing font metrics in a PDF is just asking for trouble). For the first request, you should be able to do something like that by modifying the 10 font size values patch (just have two of each value).
Advert
Old 11-27-2019, 12:11 PM   #396
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
For a link to settings, try replacing the first replace value with F7 F6 19 B5. For the browser, try 1B F7 51 B1. For beta features, try 06 F7 CB B4. This is untested (I'm doing this from my phone) and doesn't include the string, but it should launch properly when you press it. The worst that will happen if this is wrong is that nickel will crash and reboot, and you'll need to disable the patch (or try a different replacement).
Just tried; Beta Features works, but the other two crash.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:46 PM   #397
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
Just tried; Beta Features works, but the other two crash.
Ok, that makes sense. The others depend on a metacall to the plugin loader or the settings controller. I'll add a patch for the beta features one (it's 2 less taps anyways), and I'll try another idea I have for the settings and web browser ones.
Old 11-29-2019, 06:00 AM   #398
Wallace Lee
Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura second edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
These requests are a bit too much to do in a patch, and some aren't even reasonably possible (changing font metrics in a PDF is just asking for trouble). .
Tuning the brightness level of the images only inside PDF files would be enough (the vectorized fonts inside PDF files don't need no manual tuning because they are vectorized).

Regarding CBZ / CBR files I don't know how those files are made, but I am using a software called Kindle comic converter to set the gamma level, and it helps a lot.
Since Kobo does something similar for fonts inside EPUB files, maybe it should consider doing the same for images inside PDFs too, and CBR CBZ.
Wallace Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:04 AM   #399
skalden
skalden began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O first edition
I don't know if this has been requested before ...

My mother language is Dutch.
When I use the patch "Don't uppercase header/footer text", I get (as an example) "Hoofdstuk twee . 1 of 21".
In Dutch, it should be: 1 van 21.
I replaced "of" to "van" in the patch, but that doesn't work, as the string length must stay the same.

Is there a way to solve this?
This could be of interest for all languages (like German, Dutch) where the translation of "of" has more than 2 letters.

I know that I can change it to "1 / 21", but I find "1 van 21" more cosmetically pleasing (not a big problem, but it would be nice if possible).
skalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:13 AM   #400
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalden View Post
I don't know if this has been requested before ...

My mother language is Dutch.
When I use the patch "Don't uppercase header/footer text", I get (as an example) "Hoofdstuk twee . 1 of 21".
In Dutch, it should be: 1 van 21.
I replaced "of" to "van" in the patch, but that doesn't work, as the string length must stay the same.

Is there a way to solve this?
This could be of interest for all languages (like German, Dutch) where the translation of "of" has more than 2 letters.

I know that I can change it to "1 / 21", but I find "1 van 21" more cosmetically pleasing (not a big problem, but it would be nice if possible).
Try adding a \0 to the end of the Find string. This should work, as most strings have more nulls afterwards.
Old 11-30-2019, 10:23 AM   #401
skalden
skalden began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O first edition
Adding a \0 solved it indeed.
Maybe interesting to add this as a comment to patches "Don't uppercase header/footer text" and "Custom header/footer page number text" ??

Thank you very much for your quick response, and all the work you do!
skalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:46 PM   #402
geek1011
Wizard

Patches for 4.19.14123 are out.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:20 AM   #403
asettico
asettico began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
Hello,
is there any chance for the request?

Thank you and keep up with the good work!
asettico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:16 AM   #404
BetaMaster
BetaMaster began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Max 3
Request: Ability to change Google default search language. For example, I want an English word to be translated into the Indonesian language automatically using Google search feature.
BetaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:37 PM   #405
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaMaster View Post
Request: Ability to change Google default search language. For example, I want an English word to be translated into the Indonesian language automatically using Google search feature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaMaster View Post
I bought Clara HD recently and found this awesome thread. Is there any possibility to change Google default search language to Indonesian, for example? I want to highlight some text and translate it into the Indonesian language automatically. In libnickel.so patch file, I only found Wikipedia search and no Google search option. By default, when I highlight English text and search it on Google, it will be translated into English again.
Try this in libnickel for 4.19.14123:

Code:
Change Google search language:
  - Enabled: no
  - Description: Changes the language used for Google in the reader selection menu.
  # In WebSearchMixinBase::doGoogleSearch:
  # don't let the firmware override the hl parameter (NOP QUrlQuery::addQueryItem)
  - ReplaceBytesNOP: {Offset: 0x86EBAE, FindBLX: 0x4CE0B0}
  # hl = interface language
  # gl = primary search result country
  # See https://developers.google.com/custom-search/docs/xml_results_appendices#interfaceLanguages
  - FindReplaceString: {Find: "https://www.google.com/search?safe=active", Replace: "https://google.com/search?hl=en&gl=en"}
I won't be including this in the patch zip, though, unless there is more demand for it.

Tags
kobopatch, patches, patching, request, requests