Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 03:41 PM   #1
apoiata
Enthusiast
apoiata began at the beginning.

Device: none
List of supported tags.

Hi,

Is it any place where I can find only supported html tags for Sigil?

Thanks,
Old 12-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
https://www.w3schools.com/tags/

Sigil supports xhtml (which is mostly html with proper closing tags).

The question you need to ask is what tags do the reader device/app support.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:27 PM   #3
apoiata
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
https://www.w3schools.com/tags/
The question you need to ask is what tags do the reader device/app support.
Yes, that's why I asked which tags Sigil support.
I mean which tag I can use in Sigil which will have a meaning to use.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:46 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Unfortunately Sigil (and Calibre) Allow HTML constructs. Not just EPUB ones.
There is more about EPUB (tags) here in the MR Wiki
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EPUB
Old 12-19-2019, 07:07 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If you're looking for a definitive and exhaustive list of tags, no one's likely going to compile one for you.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:34 PM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by apoiata View Post
Yes, that's why I asked which tags Sigil support.
I mean which tag I can use in Sigil which will have a meaning to use.
Meaning Sigil isn't the one you need to design books for...you need to make sure that the readers/apps - like kindle, kobo, ibooks, etc. - support the tags you want to use. Sigil supports all the ones I've tried and I tend to use tags that are too advanced for some of those readers/apps!
Old 12-19-2019, 09:58 PM   #7
apoiata
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Meaning Sigil isn't the one you need to design books for...you need to make sure that the readers/apps - like kindle, kobo, ibooks, etc. - support the tags you want to use.
OK, so it looks like Sigil is working in sequence with readers/apps.
I should use in this case only tags which are supported by Sigil AND readers/apps.

Is it possible to find such list of tags? Where I can find which tags are supported by readers/apps?
Old 12-19-2019, 10:03 PM   #8
apoiata
Enthusiast

I am looking not for the list of all tags but only ones that are usfull for epub files and readers/apps?

Let say there is HTML5 video tag, but using it in ebub file will not allow to play video because it is not supported by Sigil or regular reader. So I would like to exclude such tags and have only ones which are widely supported.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:00 PM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
This is really not a subject for the Sigil forum. Which subsets of xhtml, html5, html4, etc are supported by various ebook e-readers is really a subject for the various reader forums.

Please note, the quickest way to get up to speed on epubs is to download both epub2 and epub3 official epubs from the idpf and w3c sites and even from here in Mobileread's public domain collection and study the code yourself.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:50 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The discussion on what tags are supported by which ePub reader is best discussed in the ePub forum.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:27 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Ya think?
Old 12-20-2019, 04:56 PM   #12
apoiata
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
This is really not a subject for the Sigil forum. Which subsets of xhtml, html5, html4, etc are supported by various ebook e-readers is really a subject for the various reader forums.
Indeed the better place to discuss supported tags by various ebook e-readers is really a subject for the various reader forums but initial question wasn't about it. The initial question was about which tags to use when I want to create epub file.

There is a suggestion to check different readers and their supported tags but in reality you will not see epub books for different readers. Publishers allow to download only one epub file, mobi and pdf file. I didn't see on the market epub files for iPad, Android tablet, iPhone, etc.

So we return to my initial question: Which tags I have to use for creating epub files which will be recognized by most readers/applications?

Pointing to xhtml, html5, html4, etc standards is useless because not all tags have a meaning in epub file. I believe it has to be a list of tags which most of readers/application will recognize and make appropriate actions on content.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:11 PM   #13
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Again, and for the last time. This is not a topic for the Sigil forum.

Second, I already explained the best way to move forward. And yes, under epub3 almost all of html5 standard is allowed but with xhtml syntax.

Quote:
Please note, the quickest way to get up to speed on epubs is to download both epub2 and epub3 official epubs from the idpf and w3c sites and even from here in Mobileread's public domain collection and study the code yourself.
I am closing this issue to further discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoiata View Post
Indeed the better place to discuss supported tags by various ebook e-readers is really a subject for the various reader forums but initial question wasn't about it. The initial question was about which tags to use when I want to create epub file.

There is a suggestion to check different readers and their supported tags but in reality you will not see epub books for different readers. Publishers allow to download only one epub file, mobi and pdf file. I didn't see on the market epub files for iPad, Android tablet, iPhone, etc.

So we return to my initial question: Which tags I have to use for creating epub files which will be recognized by most readers/applications?

Pointing to xhtml, html5, html4, etc standards is useless because not all tags have a meaning in epub file. I believe it has to be a list of tags which most of readers/application will recognize and make appropriate actions on content.
Closed Thread