Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-02-2017, 09:25 AM   #1
sasilk
Connoisseur
sasilk began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro 12"; Kindle Paperwhite
Question Change to blank cover behaviour in 3.7

Prior to my upgrade to 3.7 (on Mac) a book with no cover would have a literally blank cover image, with no file associated with it. Since the upgrade, I get a blue image with a curlicue border. Remove cover produces the same image.

Is there any way to get the old behaviour back? I have searched the forum here, as well as the Calibre Preferences without success.

sasilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:32 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The pastel cover, is the New Default when there is no real cover.
In the MDE (metadata editor), you can click Generate cover button and it will cycle thru various styles.
Right click that button. You can customize

BTW this feature has been there a long time (2.x)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2017, 09:37 AM   #3
sasilk
Connoisseur

You may have misunderstood me.

I'm aware of the Generate Cover ability, and know that it's been there for ages. But I don't want to customise it - I want to remove it completely. I want a book with no cover to literally have NO COVER. Not a generated one - none.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:59 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasilk View Post
You may have misunderstood me.

I'm aware of the Generate Cover ability, and know that it's been there for ages. But I don't want to customise it - I want to remove it completely. I want a book with no cover to literally have NO COVER. Not a generated one - none.
Ripping covers off of books

Conversion options
Sending to Device
Have controls for embedding Covers, Jackets

Modify EPUB Plugin has options to remove or update selected books
Old 09-02-2017, 10:10 AM   #5
sasilk
Connoisseur

ebooks have virtual covers, so no ripping required. Anyway, I'm referring to ones that don't have even those. These are books that don't have covers to begin with and that I am not converting.

What I want is for a book with no cover not to have one generated for it unless I explicitly request one. Just leave the file alone. Especially as it only automatically generates a background, with no details. (To be clear, I don't want the details either.)

Let me be painfully clear - I do NOT want any form of cover unless it is the actual cover of the book. I never want a generated one. I want it blank. And, if I click on Remove Cover, I expect it to do exactly that - delete the cover that's there. If I wanted it to generate another pointless generic one O would look for a Replace Cover With Pointless Generic Cover button.

Unless you can tell me how to revert to the original pre-3.7 behaviour, please stop replying.
Advert
Old 09-02-2017, 11:52 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasilk View Post
ebooks have virtual covers, so no ripping required. Anyway, I'm referring to ones that don't have even those. These are books that don't have covers to begin with and that I am not converting.

What I want is for a book with no cover not to have one generated for it unless I explicitly request one. Just leave the file alone. Especially as it only automatically generates a background, with no details. (To be clear, I don't want the details either.)

Let me be painfully clear - I do NOT want any form of cover unless it is the actual cover of the book. I never want a generated one. I want it blank. And, if I click on Remove Cover, I expect it to do exactly that - delete the cover that's there. If I wanted it to generate another pointless generic one O would look for a Replace Cover With Pointless Generic Cover button.

Unless you can tell me how to revert to the original pre-3.7 behaviour, please stop replying.
Moderator Notice
Please read the forum guidelines (link at the bottom of every page). Please pay attention to item 1.

The cover shown in Grid view, metadata details is not necessarily the one in the book.
Calibre requires a graphical place holder for all books. This is mandatory to prevent issues in other sections of the program.

You can override the visual aspects on a per book basis.
Place your desired blank cover (cover.jpg) into the titles folder of each book or simply Drag and drop it into the books comments box
Old 09-02-2017, 12:56 PM   #7
sasilk
Connoisseur

Dear Moderator: Please indicate to me where I was in any way impolite. Especially given that the respondent had repeatedly not answered the question I asked, but instead the questions they *thought* I had asked.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:56 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have what may very well be the solution to the issue at hand here.

Go to the Calibre directory. From there, go to app\resources\images and there is an image called default_cover.png. Load it into an image editor. Make it the same resolution but just blank. Save it. Problem solved. But, you'll have to do this every time you update. You can copy the file and copy it back after updating.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:22 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have what may very well be the solution to the issue at hand here.

Go to the Calibre directory. From there, go to app\resources\images and there is an image called default_cover.png. Load it into an image editor. Make it the same resolution but just blank. Save it. Problem solved. But, you'll have to do this every time you update. You can copy the file and copy it back after updating.
Put a Copy of that in the config folder using the same relative path.
Calibre uses this if it exists, otherwise ituses the installed version.

Calibre updates keep hands off once the config folder is created
Old 09-02-2017, 05:55 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Put a Copy of that in the config folder using the same relative path.
Calibre uses this if it exists, otherwise ituses the installed version.

Calibre updates keep hands off once the config folder is created
Yes, that works. I just tested it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:40 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, that works. I just tested it.
Jon, afaik, any object in Calibre2/app/resources/ can be permanently overridden with a similarly named and typed object in the calibre configuration resources folder.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:17 AM   #12
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Sage
I can't give answers, all I know is that if I Remove Cover, I get no cover. The cover grid shows only a blank box with the title and author from the metadata (and I had emblems added, so they showed up as well). I am using Calibre 3.7.
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:04 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Before the new calibre icon theme (not calibre 3.x, but somewhere around October last year) the blank cover placeholder image was an image of a brown book, now it is a blue image of an "empty cover". In both cases there is no image associated with it. If you dont like the new image, you can always change it to what you want as described in the manual https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cus...ates-et-cetera
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover image