Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Question Hardware exchange between devices

Didn't know where to post this, but I thought here has the best chance of getting replies. I made the topic as wide as possible so that future hardware question can be asked too.

This might be dumb questions, and I will get interesting replies. (maybe?! ) but I'll ask anyway!

My Kindle Keyboard 3G screen is broken now and I've got a Kindle Touch... just wondering if their eink screen is exchangeable. I couldn't find their specification anywhere... If you could help, that would be awesome.

Last edited by thatworkshop; 06-11-2012 at 07:05 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
They both use the same screen, but IIRC you need the proper waveform for the batch of screens in order for it to work well.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
They both use the same screen, but IIRC you need the proper waveform for the batch of screens in order for it to work well.
Can not recall where I read it, but I read the same thing; the driver hardware has a calibration profile burned into it to match a specific production run of screens.

Not to give up -
There are a lot of uses for a "headless" *nix machine.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The waveform is stored in a chip attached to the display, so that is not the problem. The real problem is that each kindle model uses a different eink display CONNECTOR, which is soldered to the kapton flex cable. They do not even have the same number of pins, and the connectors are not something you will find at your local electronics store, so good luck building an affordable adapter. Then of course, the waveform data in the attached flash ROM chip may be stored in a different format, so there could be software conversion issues as well...

A K3 is still fairly useful without an eink display if you can turn on the Voice Guide mode. With SSH, you could continuously grab and display the framebuffer image to help navigate the framework menus.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Well the thing is I got this K3 3G off of eBay for 80$, just to realize that the seller wasn't honest with me and it was a lost/stolen unit, so I can't actually use it to check my email when traveling. Anyways, it would have been more appealing to me to try these if it wasn't such an unlucky device, but with all these, I'm just pissed off!

(off-topic: Called Amazon that I can't register this Kindle weeks ago, and they said they can't do anything about lost/stolen units! any thoughts?)

Last edited by thatworkshop; 06-11-2012 at 08:44 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2012, 02:32 AM   #6
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
80$ for a K3 3G with a broken screen? It's far too much even if it were not stolen.
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote