Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2011, 07:29 PM   #91
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagwar View Post
Original just shows "???"
The others work fine. Thank you, you helped me already!

So now i just need to add your lines from above to the css extras and the reader will automatically open the book in Amasis? Can you tell me the right code for that? I'm a total noob on this topic. Thanks!
Code:
@font-face {
  font-family: serif;
  font-weight: normal;
  font-style: normal;
  src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/AmasisMTW1G.otf);
}
@font-face {
  font-weight: bold;
  font-style: normal;
  src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/AmasisMTW1G-Bold.otf);
}
@font-face {
  font-weight: normal;
  font-style: italic;
  src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/AmasisMTW1G-Italic.otf);
}
@font-face {
  font-weight: bold;
  font-style: italic;
  src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/AmasisMTW1G-BoldItalic.otf);
}
body {
  widows: 0;
  orphans: 0;
  margin-top: 0;
  margin-bottom: 0;
  margin-left: 0;
  margin-right: 0;
  text-align: justify
}

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-26-2011 at 09:09 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:44 PM   #92
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@jagwar,
The method you've just tried will always display the epub in Amasis once you've selected Amasis the first time you open the book, i.e. it will be remembered every time you open it thereafter. This is by far the easiest/fastest method and should work for both DRM'd and non-DRM'd epubs.

The drawback to the above is that Bold and/or Italics may not be displayed correctly. The workaround, if your epub is non-DRM'd, is to edit the .css file inside the epub to use the 4 Amasis font files correctly. The code you need for Amasis is in post #32 earlier in this thread. Post #80 may also be helpful for outlining ways to edit the css file. You must leave the selected font as 'Original' on the PRST1 for this to work.

If you need more specific help, just ask.

Last edited by jackie_w; 12-26-2011 at 07:53 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #93
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
The method you've just tried will always display the epub in Amasis once you've selected Amasis the first time you open the book, i.e. it will be remembered every time you open it thereafter. This is by far the easiest/fastest method and should work for both DRM'd and non-DRM'd epubs.

The drawback to the above is that Bold and/or Italics may not be displayed correctly. The workaround, if your epub is non-DRM'd, is to edit the .css file inside the epub to use the 4 Amasis font files correctly. The code you need for Amasis is in post #32 earlier in this thread. Post #80 may also be helpful for outlining ways to edit the css file.

Post #91 gives the exact code.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:45 PM   #94
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Post #91 gives the exact code.
I beg to differ. I'm sure that code suits you perfectly (and maybe many other users) but it is very specific.

If you code the @font-faces as font-family: "Amasis" rather than the more generic font-family: serif it will prevent you using the standard select-a-font feature if you decide at a later date to choose to read the epub in one of the other T1 fonts e.g. Palatino or Verdana.

This won't matter to everyone but leaving your options open is a good thing, is it not?

P.S. I hadn't seen your post #91 when I posted #92. My response was to jagwar rather than yourself.

Last edited by jackie_w; 12-26-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:47 PM   #95
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I beg to differ. I'm sure that code suits you perfectly (and maybe many other users) but it is very specific.

If you code the @font-faces as font-family: "Amasis" rather than the more generic font-family: serif it will prevent you using the standard select-a-font feature if you decide at a later date to choose to read the epub in one of the other T1 fonts e.g. Palatino or Verdana.

This won't matter to everyone but leaving your options open is a good thing, is it not?
Now look at #91. I've changed it.
Advert
Old 12-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #96
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, that should be more forgiving. FYI you don't need the double-quotes around "serif".

The contents of your body {...} css won't suit everyone, but as long as others understand that these non-font-related settings are your personal preference I guess that's OK.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:09 PM   #97
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes, that should be more forgiving. FYI you don't need the double-quotes around "serif".

The contents of your body {...} css won't suit everyone, but as long as others understand that these non-font-related settings are your personal preference I guess that's OK.
Yes, I know it won't satisfy everyone. But I think at least the widows/orphans will satisfy more then it won't.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:09 AM   #98
jagwar
jagwar began at the beginning.

Device: T1
Quote:
@jagwar,

The drawback to the above is that Bold and/or Italics may not be displayed correctly. The workaround, if your epub is non-DRM'd, is to edit the .css file inside the epub to use the 4 Amasis font files correctly. The code you need for Amasis is in post #32 earlier in this thread. Post #80 may also be helpful for outlining ways to edit the css file. You must leave the selected font as 'Original' on the PRST1 for this to work.

Thanks! I used the code from post 80 and it works like a charm. Every book is displayed right from the beginning.

Is there a way to tell Calibre to always add that code to extra css or do I have to do it manually?
jagwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #99
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagwar View Post
Is there a way to tell Calibre to always add that code to extra css or do I have to do it manually?
As long as you are planning to do a Calibre conversion to create your epub you can copy the @font-face statements into the Preferences - Common Options - Look&Feel - ExtraCSS box. Then Calibre will use them during every epub conversion.
Note: For some reason Calibre copies them into every html file inside the epub rather than just once into the .css file. However, the result should be the same on your Sony.

If you also want to add some control for margins, widows/orphans, line-height (or any other css attributes which take your fancy), then you could also consider adding some body {... ...} css into the ExtraCSS box, as shown in JSWolf's example in post #91.

If you are not planning to do a Calibre conversion then you need to manually copy the @font-face statements into the .css file inside the epub.

Caveat: ebooks are created in many and various ways by people with varying abilities. Therefore you may come across some epubs which don't work with this simple font customisation. This is because the existing css in the epub is overriding your changes. These badly behaved epubs can always be fixed manually but it will require you to examine the css to see what is going wrong. Consequently, the more you learn about html/css the easier you will find it to knock a recalcitrant epub into shape.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #100
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Quote:
... it's quite possible that the font-family: serif; line is redundant as all the ereaders I've owned seem to use font-family: serif as the epub default in the absence of more specific css.
I just tested this and you're right! If you use @font-face { font-family: serif; ...} you don't need to include body {font-family: serif}

I like this very much as it leaves the css cleaner and more universal, less likely to cause problems if you want to read the same epub on other devices. Also, I didn't realize using the generic "serif" will let you switch fonts on the T1. Very nice! Thanks for so many tips, jackie_w!

P.S. re:
Quote:
I always put the @font-faces at the beginning of the .css file (but I'm not sure whether this is important)
FYI, I don't think it matters. I always put the @font-faces at the end, and it still works.

Last edited by pssquirrel; 12-27-2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: correction
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #101
jagwar
jagwar began at the beginning.

Device: T1
Quote:
As long as you are planning to do a Calibre conversion to create your epub you can copy the @font-face statements into the Preferences - Common Options - Look&Feel - ExtraCSS box. Then Calibre will use them during every epub conversion.
Note: For some reason Calibre copies them into every html file inside the epub rather than just once into the .css file. However, the result should be the same on your Sony.

If you also want to add some control for margins, widows/orphans, line-height (or any other css attributes which take your fancy), then you could also consider adding some body {... ...} css into the ExtraCSS box, as shown in JSWolf's example in post #91.

If you are not planning to do a Calibre conversion then you need to manually copy the @font-face statements into the .css file inside the epub.

Caveat: ebooks are created in many and various ways by people with varying abilities. Therefore you may come across some epubs which don't work with this simple font customisation. This is because the existing css in the epub is overriding your changes. These badly behaved epubs can always be fixed manually but it will require you to examine the css to see what is going wrong. Consequently, the more you learn about html/css the easier you will find it to knock a recalcitrant epub into shape.
Yes, it's done with calibre.

Thanks for the solution and the warning. I was searching for this easy way because my father should be able to do this on his own. If he runs into trouble sometimes he can send me the book for a manual adjustment but now he can do the most on his own. Thanks!
jagwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #102
giosa
Connoisseur
giosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovergiosa exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Sony PRS T1
Hello,

Could you please, teach me how to display Georgian Unicode on my Sony PRS-T1. I put sylfaen.ttf in fonts folder in the Reader root directory (the folder created myself). I Think I need @font-face statement for sylfaen.ttf to encode into css with calibre. Thanks everybody for help.
giosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:17 PM   #103
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:

Is there anything else you need to do to have Calibre automatically apply the css settings?

I have added JSWolf's sample to preferences --> common options --> Look & Feel --> Extra CSS , but the styles do not get automatically get applied when converting.

If, at the time of conversion I paste the CSS stuff in under Look & Feel, then the settings do get applied to the conversion.

I notice that other options I have checked off in preferences --> common options --> Look & Feel, are also automatically checked off when I view Look & Feel at time of conversion. However, the Extra CSS window is blank.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:14 AM   #104
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by giosa View Post
Hello,

Could you please, teach me how to display Georgian Unicode on my Sony PRS-T1. I put sylfaen.ttf in fonts folder in the Reader root directory (the folder created myself). I Think I need @font-face statement for sylfaen.ttf to encode into css with calibre. Thanks everybody for help.
It's all in the wiki.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:14 AM   #105
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Is there anything else you need to do to have Calibre automatically apply the css settings?

I have added JSWolf's sample to preferences --> common options --> Look & Feel --> Extra CSS , but the styles do not get automatically get applied when converting.

If, at the time of conversion I paste the CSS stuff in under Look & Feel, then the settings do get applied to the conversion.

I notice that other options I have checked off in preferences --> common options --> Look & Feel, are also automatically checked off when I view Look & Feel at time of conversion. However, the Extra CSS window is blank.
I think the problem you are running into here is simply that if you have previously done a Calibre conversion on a book then those old settings are remembered if you reconvert. To load your new Prefs-CommonOptions for a particular book just press the 'Restore defaults' button on the Look&Feel page. You should see your ExtraCSS box get populated with the new settings.