Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-14-2023, 01:05 PM   #61
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
As far as I can tell I don't taste bitter more acutely but rather have the ability to taste a bitter that most can't. My amateur google-fu indicates that there is a wide variability in 'bitter taste receptor genes'.
Similar with the sense of smell, I guess. I have a good sense of smell, but I can't smell the blue spruce at the front of our property. That is, I can faintly smell it when I crush its needles under my nose, but to other people it's just as strong as you would expect it to be.

I can smell other blue spruces normally, as well as plenty of other conifers, just not that particular tree.

As for bitter, I enjoy the bitterness of coffee and beer, but not anything seriously bitter that puts a clamp on the back of the tongue.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 01:56 PM   #62
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I can't consume bitter anything and never have. I drink my coffee with a large amount of milk and never dark roast, only medium. And I can't drink any alcoholic beverages at all. Even the mildest of them is too bitter for me, so I'm a teetotaller not by principle, but purely by preference.

OTOH I'm not a big fan of sweet either. I do eat moderate amounts of chocolate (milk chocolate only), but not cakes or desserts, and very rarely icecream. I don't put any sugar in my coffee. In fact, I don't even keep any sugar in my home.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2023, 03:18 PM   #63
BanditoB
Enthusiast
BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Boox Tab Ultra, Boox Tab Ultra C, Kindle Oasis-9th Gen
I just stumbled on this thread and thought that I’d add my experience.

When I read, I become fully immersed in what is happening in the story. I see the environment, the characters, everything. As a matter of fact, if someone interrupts me, it can take a few seconds for me to re-orient to the real world. That’s how deeply I get into reading. It’s like my very own experience that completely envelops me and takes me away from whatever my current situation is.

That’s why I love to read so much. It is such a rich experience that I can actually experience what the writer is laying out for me. Plus, there is always something to learn, even in fiction. You can learn a lot about other people’s viewpoints and experiences as well as human nature.
BanditoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 01:41 AM   #64
Kindleing
Groupie
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Kobos
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
I have a good sense of smell, but I can't smell the blue spruce at the front of our property. That is, I can faintly smell it when I crush its needles under my nose, but to other people it's just as strong as you would expect it to be.

I can smell other blue spruces normally, as well as plenty of other conifers, just not that particular tree.
Since the tree is on your property, maybe it is a case of acclimation? You might be so used to it you don't notice it.
Kindleing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 08:27 AM   #65
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
Similar with the sense of smell, I guess. I have a good sense of smell, but I can't smell the blue spruce at the front of our property. That is, I can faintly smell it when I crush its needles under my nose, but to other people it's just as strong as you would expect it to be.

As for bitter, I enjoy the bitterness of coffee and beer, but not anything seriously bitter that puts a clamp on the back of the tongue.
My sense of smell is just OK. My wife's sense of smell, on the other hand, is very strong. She can smell things that I am not even aware of. She hates this as strong smells can be extremely distracting utterly horrible to her.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2023, 09:57 AM   #66
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
My sense of smell and taste has gone awry in recent times. eg: most nuts taste wrong in various different ways, although strangely, while Peanut Butter smells wrong it still tastes okay.

But while I'm reading, everything in the book still tastes and smells like it should, so that's okay.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 05:42 PM   #67
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindleing View Post
Since the tree is on your property, maybe it is a case of acclimation? You might be so used to it you don't notice it.
No. I can smell the tree right next to it.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 02:46 AM   #68
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
My sense of smell and taste has gone awry in recent times. eg: most nuts taste wrong in various different ways, although strangely, while Peanut Butter smells wrong it still tastes okay.
If this isn't just since COVID or since a new medication known to cause it, you might want a medical checkup.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 07:12 AM   #69
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
If this isn't just since COVID or since a new medication known to cause it, you might want a medical checkup.
As far as I know I have not had COVID. When I first started smelling smoke (when there was none about) I did go to my GP. Nothing very definite came from that and thankfully the worst of it has faded - most of the time, at least - but some things still smell wrong. I hadn't thought about mentioning the changes in taste that have developed, I assumed it was probably related.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote