Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-04-2021, 06:34 AM   #1
BillSmart
BillSmart began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
Calibre - KPF to Epub

I want to load my .kpf file (which I've created on Kindle Create from a .docx file, making a lot of formatting changes) and convert it to a .epub. And, if possible, other file types -- but .epub is my #1 goal.

I have loaded Calibre with the three plugins I've read that are necessary to perform this conversion: KFX Input, KFX Output, and DeDRM.

When I use Add Books to add my .kpf file, it is loaded as a .docx file. I expected it to be loaded as a .kpf or .kfx file. Anyway, the loaded file is a .docx file, so when I convert that file to a .epub, it just converts the .docx file, not the .kpf file.

What am I doing wrong?

...Bill!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre PlugIns.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	188029  
BillSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 10:14 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Only the KFX Input plugin is required for conversion from KPF to EPUB. (DeDRM is only needed for books purchased from Amazon and KFX Output produces KFX format.)

A KPF file produced using Kindle Create contains a copy of the original Word document that you started with. By default calibre will extract that when you import a KPF file, giving you the original content without any of the edits made using Kindle Create. You need to disable that behavior by going to Preferences, Plugins, and expanding the File Type category. Then highlight the KPF Extract plugin and press the Enable/Disable Plugin button so that the plugin entry is grayed out.

Once the KFX Input plugin has been installed and the KPF Extract plugin has been disabled you can again import your KPF file into calibre and then use the Convert Books function to convert it to EPUB.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2021, 12:03 AM   #3
BillSmart
BillSmart began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
I disabled the DeDRM plugin. I could not disable the KFX Output plugin, so I removed it.

I disabled the KPF Extract plugin.

I closed and restarted Calibre, used Add Books to add my kpf file. And, Voila!, it was loaded as a .kpf!

Thanks a lot!!!!

BillSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 08:48 PM   #4
WmPitcher
WmPitcher began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle App for Windows
@jhowell I registered just to say thank you for helping me solve this.

Gotta love KC! /s
WmPitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 09:00 PM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WmPitcher View Post
@jhowell I registered just to say thank you for helping me solve this.
You’re welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WmPitcher View Post
Gotta love KC! /s
Yeah. To me it seems like they got it about halfway done and then just stopped.
Advert
Old 03-21-2023, 09:20 AM   #6
evrim
evrim began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi there!

Evrim here! I am trying to convert a kpf file to epub, I have the KPX input plugin installed but I get this error: Exception: This book has a layout that is incompatible with calibre conversion. For best results use the KFX Input plugin CLI for conversion. Any chance you can help me?
evrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 10:21 AM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evrim View Post
Evrim here! I am trying to convert a kpf file to epub, I have the KPX input plugin installed but I get this error: Exception: This book has a layout that is incompatible with calibre conversion. For best results use the KFX Input plugin CLI for conversion. Any chance you can help me?
Some Kindle books, such as comics and print replica, use fixed-layout (pre-formatted pages) which is not supported by calibre for conversion. Using the command line interface (CLI) of the KFX Input plugin for conversion will bypass calibre's conversion. Documentation of the CLI can be found in The first post of the KFX Input plugin thread.

The result may have limited usefulness. It is going to be a fixed-layout EPUB containing Kindle-specific markup.