Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-01-2023, 11:35 AM   #4906
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
issy: Alexa, when is it going to rain?
Alexa: It's raining right now.

It isn't, but let's see.

issy: Alexa, when will it stop raining?
Alexa: It's not raining right now.

Schrödinger's meteorology.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 02:31 AM   #4907
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
My TV sound was working with my Fire TV Cube for a long, long time, but it stopped working this evening. I paired the Fire TV to my Echo Show 5, it connects and then disconnects right after that. I've tried restarting the Fire TV Cube many times. I also rebooted the TV a few times. This was a frequent problem with my old Fire TV and I spent a lot of time talking to Amazon help, but they didn't know what was going on. One of them told me you can't pair the Show with the Fire TV, but I used to do that.

I also just tried to pair my new Sennheiser bluetooth headphones to the Fire TV Cube, but it doesn't show up. What does show is the Echo Show 5 (that won't stay connected) and a Samsung TV that must be in one of the neighboring apartments.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2023, 07:48 PM   #4908
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
My TV sound was working with my Fire TV Cube for a long, long time, but it stopped working this evening. I paired the Fire TV to my Echo Show 5, it connects and then disconnects right after that. I've tried restarting the Fire TV Cube many times. I also rebooted the TV a few times. This was a frequent problem with my old Fire TV and I spent a lot of time talking to Amazon help, but they didn't know what was going on. One of them told me you can't pair the Show with the Fire TV, but I used to do that.

I also just tried to pair my new Sennheiser bluetooth headphones to the Fire TV Cube, but it doesn't show up. What does show is the Echo Show 5 (that won't stay connected) and a Samsung TV that must be in one of the neighboring apartments.
Next day: my Echo Show 5 was showing that it was connected to the Fire TV Cube. I turned on the TV and still had no sound. I went into bluetooth settings of the Fire TV and disconnected the Echo Show 5 and then I had sound from the TV. I couldn't make this happen yesterday.
Old 04-08-2023, 03:22 AM   #4909
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
issy: Alexa, when is it going to rain?
Alexa: It's raining right now.

It isn't, but let's see.

issy: Alexa, when will it stop raining?
Alexa: It's not raining right now.

Schrödinger's meteorology.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 02:30 AM   #4910
mlewis78
Guru

I've had my Echo speakers set up to play NPR as my "flash briefing." For the past three days it won't play it. I say "Alexa, what is my flash briefing" or "Alexa play my flash briefing" (or "what is the news"). It tells me "getting your flash briefing" but won't play it. I wouldn't mind, but I was getting Len Edgerly's Morning Journal immediately following the flash briefing, but it won't play at all either. There is no other way to get his Morning Journal except to have it follow the flash briefing.

I google searched and went into the Alexa app on my phone and NPR is checked off as my news source. I tried undoing that and then putting it back on but it won't play.
Advert
Old 06-02-2023, 05:35 PM   #4911
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Anyone here still allowing their Amazon Echo devices to eavesdrop on their lives 24/7?
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 07:56 PM   #4912
mlewis78
Guru

Quote:
I've had my Echo speakers set up to play NPR as my "flash briefing." For the past three days it won't play it. I say "Alexa, what is my flash briefing" or "Alexa play my flash briefing" (or "what is the news"). It tells me "getting your flash briefing" but won't play it. I wouldn't mind, but I was getting Len Edgerly's Morning Journal immediately following the flash briefing, but it won't play at all either. There is no other way to get his Morning Journal except to have it follow the flash briefing.

I google searched and went into the Alexa app on my phone and NPR is checked off as my news source. I tried undoing that and then putting it back on but it won't play.
Today my Echo speakers are giving me the flash briefing and the Morning Journal. Maybe it helps to post here!
Old 06-03-2023, 06:04 AM   #4913
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Anyone here still allowing their Amazon Echo devices to eavesdrop on their lives 24/7?
Not me. I have Dots and Shows scattered all over the house and they all have their mics turned off and their cameras blocked. When I need to issue a command, I turn the mic on, give the command, then turn the mic back off again. I have no need for the cameras, so I never activate them.
Old 06-03-2023, 08:23 AM   #4914
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Not me. I have Dots and Shows scattered all over the house and they all have their mics turned off and their cameras blocked. When I need to issue a command, I turn the mic on, give the command, then turn the mic back off again. I have no need for the cameras, so I never activate them.
Has it been shown that Alexa sends info to Amazon before the trigger word?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 08:39 AM   #4915
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Has it been shown that Alexa sends info to Amazon before the trigger word?
No, in fact, it's been tested and no evidence was found. There's links to the documentation in another recent thread here on the topic.

And if you are going to believe that fear-mongering premise, then turning off the mic does you no good. If you don't trust that software works as it claims, only sending back audio when the wake word is spoken and blue light is on, then you have no reason to trust that the same software ISN'T listening just because you touch a software-controlled mute button and software-controlled red light comes on.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 12:10 PM   #4916
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
No, in fact, it's been tested and no evidence was found. There's links to the documentation in another recent thread here on the topic.

And if you are going to believe that fear-mongering premise, then turning off the mic does you no good. If you don't trust that software works as it claims, only sending back audio when the wake word is spoken and blue light is on, then you have no reason to trust that the same software ISN'T listening just because you touch a software-controlled mute button and software-controlled red light comes on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
So, I am going to say no. And I don't think I ever did.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 06:49 PM   #4917
mlewis78
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
There are no cameras on my Echo speakers.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:57 PM   #4918
mlewis78
Guru

This is not exactly Echo/Fire TV related, but last night I used the manual button on my Sharp TV to switch to input 1 (cable TV) and the button froze up. When I pushed it again, it went down into the hole, so I can't use that button at all. I thought I was going to have to buy a new TV, but I can control it with the remote to switch between inputs for cable and streaming (there is also an input for the dvd player, but my dvd player doesn't work).

I suppose I should buy another TV soon, considering that the sound goes out now and then for streaming through the Fire TV Cube. I was looking at TVs on BH Photo and Amazon. There is a 32" Samsung for $227 that might be good or a Sony for about $300. I do not want anything larger than 32" (my Sharp is that size). It appears from the specs that TVs are not as heavy as they were when I bought my flat screen around 2006-2007. 9.5 pounds.
Old 06-21-2023, 10:55 AM   #4919
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
This is not exactly Echo/Fire TV related, but last night I used the manual button on my Sharp TV to switch to input 1 (cable TV) and the button froze up. When I pushed it again, it went down into the hole, so I can't use that button at all. I thought I was going to have to buy a new TV, but I can control it with the remote to switch between inputs for cable and streaming (there is also an input for the dvd player, but my dvd player doesn't work).

I suppose I should buy another TV soon, considering that the sound goes out now and then for streaming through the Fire TV Cube. I was looking at TVs on BH Photo and Amazon. There is a 32" Samsung for $227 that might be good or a Sony for about $300. I do not want anything larger than 32" (my Sharp is that size). It appears from the specs that TVs are not as heavy as they were when I bought my flat screen around 2006-2007. 9.5 pounds.
If you haven't purchased your TV yet, Prime Day is sure to have some deals. It runs 11~12 July. Other stores also have their version of Prime Day to compete with Amazon.

See this thread for details.
Old 07-28-2023, 06:19 AM   #4920
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The sound the echo makes after turning on my plug changed and I don't know how to change it back. Anyone else have their sound change?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote