Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-12-2023, 07:34 PM   #1
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I love the Kindle Scribe

I caved in and bought it at BestBuy two days ago and I can not put it down! The fingernails showed without issue and was able to download my 1,100 plus ebooks without any indexing hiccups. 100x faster than the Oasis in the setup. The device is blazing fast and writing on it is much more fluid and natural than with the KOBO Sage.

Battery is top notch. Had very little battery drain in downloading my library. The Kindle Oasis I would need to charge 2-3 times during downloading everything but only 1 charge for the scribe during downloading and set up. Got a nice 3rd party case for $17 ( No way am I paying $50 to $80 for a case ). It did not photo well. it is actually a nice blue color
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scribe1.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	200290   Click image for larger version

Name:	scribe2.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	200291  

Last edited by HLS; 03-12-2023 at 07:42 PM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 01:17 PM   #2
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
To be fair, the Sage is much smaller and not as easy to write on. What the Sage has is better dark mode and better software than the Scribe. Unfortunately, it looks as if the 10" 300dpi screens will not be available for Kobo until October, since Amazon apparently has a lock on them until then.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2023, 01:19 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I caved in and bought it at BestBuy two days ago and I can not put it down! The fingernails showed without issue and was able to download my 1,100 plus ebooks without any indexing hiccups. 100x faster than the Oasis in the setup. The device is blazing fast and writing on it is much more fluid and natural than with the KOBO Sage.

Battery is top notch. Had very little battery drain in downloading my library. The Kindle Oasis I would need to charge 2-3 times during downloading everything but only 1 charge for the scribe during downloading and set up. Got a nice 3rd party case for $17 ( No way am I paying $50 to $80 for a case ). It did not photo well. it is actually a nice blue color
Yes, I am delighted with mine, far beyond my initial expectations.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:48 AM   #4
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Yes, I am delighted with mine, far beyond my initial expectations.
Same. It's better than I expected. I loaded my work PDFs to it so i can take notes on it
Old 03-18-2023, 03:42 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
Same. It's better than I expected. I loaded my work PDFs to it so i can take notes on it
Sadly around here, that is not permitted. Most of the work PDFs are considered confidential documents with a rather annoying watermark to make it hard to miss and uploading them to a third party and especially to third party servers located in a foreign country is a reason for termination.

I won't even get into the issues with attempting to share annotations with a group when the annotations are not written to the PDF file.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2023, 04:41 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Sadly around here, that is not permitted. Most of the work PDFs are considered confidential documents with a rather annoying watermark to make it hard to miss and uploading them to a third party and especially to third party servers located in a foreign country is a reason for termination.

I won't even get into the issues with attempting to share annotations with a group when the annotations are not written to the PDF file.
If you need to work with PDF files for work, then your employer should purchase a device for you that meets your mutual requirements. Kindle Scribe is pretty obviously not going to meet these in its current state, it's not clear how interested Amazon is in this market, and if they are it is going to remain a secret until they have some solution.

As it is, PDF workflow is little more than a proof of concept: let's see where we are in a few months. Updates will be coming to flesh it out, along with the Word workflow.

Neither of these are my use cases at all, so the fact that it is not even close to finished doesn't diminish my enjoyment of what it is right now.

Not only is it a great reading device, but it is super nice for working crossword and sudoku puzzles. And yes, I'm starting to appreciate it as a Notebook device.

The most serious deficiencies with Notebooks and Pen features have been addressed, I'm sure other things are in the works (shapes, copy/paste etc). It's very pleasant to write on.

I'll be a lot more satisfied once the Print Replica support is fleshed out. I'm more interested in reading PDFs (converted to Print Replica) and Kindle Store content in this format than marking them up and Sharing etc., and the expected reading features are not there now (ability to select and highlight text, create notes, dictionary lookup, better navigation features and performance).

I think the initial market they are targeting is for education rather than business. That's a lower bar to reach, and by summer I think the features will be in place to support that scenario adequately.

Last edited by tomsem; 03-18-2023 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-18-2023, 06:47 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
I think the initial market they are targeting is for education rather than business. That's a lower bar to reach, and by summer I think the features will be in place to support that scenario adequately.
Not unless they abandon conversion of PDFs and allow native annotation without any connection to Amazon.
I got caught out by the DXG, which was for education, even though I waited for a sale after the PW3 was out and got it half price from Amazon US with free shipping. The DXG is the worst ereader I have or have had.

I was seriously considering the Scribe but it's too locked into Amazon for PDF annotation and seems poorer than Sage or Elipsa for notes. The PDF support of Scribe seems poorer than reMarkable, Elipsa, or any 10″ eink because it's tied to Internet and Amazon.

The conversion to fixed layout KFX is a deliberate more complex choice to lock documents and users into Amazon. That seems unsuitable for education too in many countries.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 07:50 PM   #8
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The conversion to fixed layout KFX is a deliberate more complex choice to lock documents and users into Amazon. That seems unsuitable for education too in many countries.
On the contrary. Education is going to require hardened DRM for textbooks that cannot be taken out of the (Amazon) system. Maybe they will add features to export the notes only, and to properly view them you have to put them on your own Scribe, and you have to have bought the textbook yourself for them to make sense. So that you can freely share notes, but not the book itself.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 11:01 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
If you need to work with PDF files for work, then your employer should purchase a device for you that meets your mutual requirements. Kindle Scribe is pretty obviously not going to meet these in its current state, it's not clear how interested Amazon is in this market, and if they are it is going to remain a secret until they have some solution.
Oddly enough, that is exactly what they currently do. The issue is that the devices they use are no longer being manufactured so anytime a new device is released, one or more is purchased for testing to see if it will work as a replacement device. In the case of the Scribe, finding that you needed to send a PDF file to Amazon and having it stored Ghod alone knows where (don't ask Amazon.ca since all a request for that information got back was a publicity blurb about how secure their AWS cloud is with no information about exactly where the data is stored) to be able to use it on a Scribe with decent annotation support. Never mind being unable to check the PDF back into the corporate library with the annotations which on it's own was a Danny Deever moment.

Other items were the lack of handwriting recognition which the test users were not happy about and the lack of protection for documents on the device itself. If you lose the device, you want whomever finds it to have to do some work.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 10:19 AM   #10
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

I have no reason to tell my employer. lol
Old 03-19-2023, 11:32 AM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
On the contrary. Education is going to require hardened DRM for textbooks that cannot be taken out of the (Amazon) system. Maybe they will add features to export the notes only, and to properly view them you have to put them on your own Scribe, and you have to have bought the textbook yourself for them to make sense. So that you can freely share notes, but not the book itself.
Course materials in the form of PDF or Word documents ('handouts' if you will) are not going to be DRM hardened. One can have them all on Scribe for markup and completing assignments involving these. That's what I had in mind at any rate.

And with Notebook you can take class notes on something which doesn't need to be plugged in (laptop) or make typing noises that might be distracting. Some claim handwriting is better for 'retention' than typing. It's certainly more efficient to mix text and drawings than using a computer or tablet.

Textbooks, of course, are DRM hardened and available in Kindle formats, including Print Replica. And you can export notes from those. Once Print Replica is properly supported, you can have all of these plus any course materials on Scribe.

As to handwriting recognition, I think it will probably become available eventually, at least to extent that you can search notebooks and find stuff, at least.
Old 03-25-2023, 04:18 PM   #12
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Course materials in the form of PDF or Word documents ('handouts' if you will) are not going to be DRM hardened. One can have them all on Scribe for markup and completing assignments involving these. That's what I had in mind at any rate.

And with Notebook you can take class notes on something which doesn't need to be plugged in (laptop) or make typing noises that might be distracting. Some claim handwriting is better for 'retention' than typing. It's certainly more efficient to mix text and drawings than using a computer or tablet.

Textbooks, of course, are DRM hardened and available in Kindle formats, including Print Replica. And you can export notes from those. Once Print Replica is properly supported, you can have all of these plus any course materials on Scribe.

As to handwriting recognition, I think it will probably become available eventually, at least to extent that you can search notebooks and find stuff, at least.

note taking is so much better than on the tablet. feels more naural