Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
Day_late
Day_late began at the beginning.

Device: none
Help Downloading To Kindle

How can I download a Mobi file from an author's website to my Kindle? I'm a new Kindle user, don't have any trouble downloading from Amazon, but I want to figure out how to use alternative sources for books.

Thanks,
Warren
Day_late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
Connect the Kindle to your PC via USB. You can side load books with Calibre if you have more than a few books or just load the books into the Kindle documents folder with the file manager.
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Just make sure to copy the files into the "documents" folder, not the root folder of the Kindle drive.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I just email the book to my Kindle.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day_late View Post
How can I download a Mobi file from an author's website to my Kindle? ...
There are a number of way, as the various posts indicate.

An additional method that works with the K3 & K4 (sometimes) is to access the author's website directly from your Kindle using the Kindle's web browser. This will work if the website has been properly set up and presents the proper mime-type to the browser.

The Kindle's browser will automatically detect that it is a Kindle file (.azw, .mobi, or .prc) and will download it and place it in the \documents folder. The browser is accessed from the menu on the Home screen by selecting "Experimental".
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
IMO emailing is the best way to go, since amazon also backs up whatever you're sending to the device in the cloud providing 5GB of free storage/backup. The only thing that won't work when you send through email is dictionary.

To find your kindle email address, login to your amazon account -> manage your kindle -> manage your devices. You'll see your device's email address next to the kindle you've registered.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinew View Post
IMO emailing is the best way to go, since amazon also backs up whatever you're sending to the device in the cloud providing 5GB of free storage/backup. The only thing that won't work when you send through email is dictionary.

To find your kindle email address, login to your amazon account -> manage your kindle -> manage your devices. You'll see your device's email address next to the kindle you've registered.
Emailing is easiest if you have WiFi access on your Kindle.
I also use Dropbox as well to access my books on the Kindle browser. You can keep your library on Dropbox which is also a cloud storage service and download books directly on the Kindle via the Kindle's web browser.

As shinew said we now get a 5GB personal document cloud storage from Amazon directly. You can email the book to your Kindle and it will stay in the cloud just like the ones you've purchased directly from Amazon. You do need to have a K4 to access the cloud and retrieve any books sent there. The K3 can receive personal documents but not retrieve them from the Archive yet. The new firmware that has this feature for the K3 is yet to be made public.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:00 AM   #8
Day_late
Day_late began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you all. The transfer from computer to Kindle via USB works fine. I haven't tried an e-mail transfer yet, but that's on my list.
Day_late is offline   Reply With Quote