Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 03:29 AM   #1
logan
logan doesn't litterlogan doesn't litter

Device: pocketbook 360
Offline wikipedia on pocketbooks

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to get wikipedia on my pocketbook 360.
Google gave me some tracks:
- http://users.softlab.ece.ntua.gr/~tt...iaOffline.html which needs very few work on the dump (just split and index article title) but needs several tools/lib on the reader (python, php, perl, xapian)
- aardict but need a really long conversion process.

Does anyone have another idea?

Regards,

Matthieu
logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:23 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
In case you have not seen it, there is an Offline Wikipedia for the Irex Iliad. This approach isn't immediately applicable to the PocketBooks, though, because it requires a web browser.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 07:54 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Have you considered using the dictionary tools?
Wikipedia (subsets) can be found as DVD-image downloads of essentially pure HTML and as xml query subsets.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_database
It should not be impossible to convert one of the downloads to a standard dictionary format or to XDXF and then use the conversion tools to produce a Wikipedia "dictionary". Of course, how to bridge that divide is an exercise for the student.

Theoretically it could instead be converted to a searchable epub or FB2 ebook with embedded hyperlinks but I doubt the resulting multi-GB file would even open.

Last edited by fjtorres; 12-30-2009 at 07:57 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
logan

Thx wallcraft, I will take a look on the irex solution.

fjtorres, I've think about dictionary tool but I'm not sure pocketbook will handle dictionary with GB of data.

The other issue is the format: I'd like to get an output close to wikipedia website. Do you know if pocketbook dictionary handle simple html code?

It seems to me that the epub solution isn't realistic.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
In case you have not seen it, there is an Offline Wikipedia for the Irex Iliad. This approach isn't immediately applicable to the PocketBooks, though, because it requires a web browser.
Just thinking: PB 302 has a wifi card. So it will probably integrate a web browser... which could be available for other pocketbook. So the irex solution could work fine with few work

Does anyone could confirm a web browser will be available on pocketbooks?
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 12:49 AM   #6
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
have you looked in here. There's an EPUB version available. I've used it in my PB360, but it's just too big, and not too easy to navigate.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote