Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
grahamH
grahamH began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 700
Sony PRS 700. Screen Frozen

Please Help,

Just opened my new Sony PRS 700. Looks lovely.
It worked fine for about 10 mins.

Then as i was adding a note to a page of a book, the page froze.....

I have tried to reset, both soft and Hard resets seem to have no effect.
The page remains the same.

Is there anything i can do, as a friend shipped it to me from the states and i am in Ireland and i don't fancy posting it back

grahamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i recommend making sure it's fully charged first.

also, when you reset, the screen doesn't change until you turn it on again (slider switch on top).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

oh, and i see this is your first post, so welcome ! don't worry, i thought i broke mine 2 days after i got it but luckily this forum is full of experts and geniuses and it was soon working again with no trouble.

be sure to take a look at our ebooks section ; epub format is in "misc" although we hope to have a dedicated forum for it soon.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
grahamH

Thanks

HI Zelda,

Thanks for the hint, I have had the unit charging for about 9 hours on and off.
I will now leave it charging over night and see how it is in the morning.

I will let you know how i get on,
Thanks again,

G.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel

hm, well, it shouldn't need to charge *that* much. have you tried doing a hard reset (use the reset button in the back), then try to turn it back on again ? are you charging using the usb cable which was included with it ? apparently not all usb cables will work for charging. the red led on the top should turn on when it's charging.
Advert
Old 01-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
grahamH

Yes,
I've tried a few different ways of re-setting.

Pressing the reset button once
Pressing the reset button 10 times
holding the reset button 30 seconds,

nothing seems to shake the page at all.
The LED on top, is blinking yellow. ( it sometimes turns red, with the USB or Wall charger from the PlayStationPortable, but not always)
The back screen light seems to work when it feels like it.
and i have no firm way of knowing if the reader is in the on or off position.

I have also gone into " My computer " and located the hard drive for the reader and removed all book files. ( as i noticed your thread earlier, which mentioned that some formats might not run to smoothly on the reader).

But still the page remains frozen.....
Old 01-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel

i believe the blinking yellow led means the device is working on something. perhaps you could try :
1. wait 5 or 10 minutes to see if it stops blinking.
2. just to confirm, when you reset, you *are* turning the device back on with the slider switch on top, yes ? otherwise, the page display won't change, so it could look as if it didn't work.

if that doesn't work, try plugging it into the usb, if it appears right away it was on already, if not wait about 5 minutes and it will be recognised, the screen should show the usb connection screen, then eject it safely from usb and wait a few seconds to see if it will turn on.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
Kurashi
Kurashi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Take your stylus and unscrew the tip off of it, then turn your ebook reader on its back and press the back of the stylus tip (the part that was inside the stylus body) into the pinhole in the back of the PRS-700. This should actually reset the PRS-700. Then you can turn it back on.
Kurashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 03:05 PM   #9
grahamH

Hi Zelda,

Yes i am turning the unit back on after reset, by the slider switch.
I've just tried connecting back to the USB, and the steady red light came on.
The library recognised the reader straight away.

When i ejected the reader from the library, nothing happened.

DOH !!
Old 01-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #10
grahamH

Thanks Kurashi.

Handy tip using the stylus.
Tried the reset, it did not work.
The soft reset seems to have no effect
Old 01-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #11
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
grahamH, after pressing the reset button at the back, try sliding the on/off switch twice in quick succession. That usually works for my 505. It might be a long shot in your case, but it doesn't hurt to try.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 03:13 PM   #12
grahamH

Seabound,

It was worth a try, but alas no Joy...

Thanks for the input though.

Graham
Old 01-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

okay, well if the red light comes on, that means it is charging. perhaps the battery is low, in fact, after all. let it charge a while and see if that helps.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #14
grahamH

Thanks Guys,

It's great to have the back-up.

I will let it charge for a bit longer and let you know how i get on..
Old 01-04-2009, 03:51 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

good luck ! i am sure you will figure out the problem, hopefully soon.