Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2018, 03:27 PM   #16
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
From my memory the 505 came with a free tan-coloured case. Those were the days!
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:09 PM   #17
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I love my 650. Was my main ereader for quite a few years but it just doesn't hold a battery charge like it used to.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2018, 09:38 PM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you'd like a nice aluminum frame, the 650 is nice.
I've been looking for one. It looks like the 650, build-wise, is just a bigger version of the 350 (I know it has more features) – and I know I like the look and feel of the 350. The 350 also has nice dark fonts and good contrast. As a matter of fact, Constantia is almost too dark on it.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:40 PM   #19
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
From my memory the 505 came with a free tan-coloured case. Those were the days!
Mine came with the tan case. The one I got is really chewed up, but still feels good in the hand.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:42 PM   #20
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
I love my 650. Was my main ereader for quite a few years but it just doesn't hold a battery charge like it used to.
I don't know if you live in the U.S. or not, but if you do, you can get a battery for the 650 for about $12 (shipped) – the same battery as the 350 uses (I think). It doesn't look like it's very hard to replace it either.
Advert
Old 01-11-2018, 04:33 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just looked at the 2 newpower99 videos for the 350 and 650 and yes, they do have the same battery.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:49 PM   #22
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Yes, I am in the US. As much as I like my 650, I like my T2 better. Good to know that replacement batteries are out there. I have a red 650, that is one sharp looking ereader!
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:45 PM   #23
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Years ago, I persuaded a techie friend to replace the battery (from newpower99) in my 505. It never did hold the same charge as when new. I rarely use it now because I prefer the extra abilities of the Paperwhite, including the light.

I do sometimes charge it to see what books are on there - with an SD card it holds an enormous number of books - and move them onto my pc to convert to mobi in Calibre.

Unlike others, I always liked the default font on the 505, whereas I don't much like any of the fonts on my Paperwhite.

Oh, and the case it came in folds back easily. I'm sure you could find a foldable case for it on ebay.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:45 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why would you go ePub > Mobi for a Paperwhite when going ePub > KF8 is a better?
Old 03-07-2018, 03:47 AM   #25
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

JSWolf: Most of the books on the Sony 505 are in lrf, not epub, the 505 isn't very good at displaying epub. I convert it to mobi purely because that's what I've always done. It seems to work well, so I see no need to change. If I download a book from Amazon (I don't have wifi, so download to my pc to transfer via usb) they always arrive in azw3. What's the difference between Amazon's prefered format (azw3) KF8 and Mobi?
Most of the kindle books in the MR library are mobi.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:13 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
JSWolf: Most of the books on the Sony 505 are in lrf, not epub, the 505 isn't very good at displaying epub. I convert it to mobi purely because that's what I've always done. It seems to work well, so I see no need to change. If I download a book from Amazon (I don't have wifi, so download to my pc to transfer via usb) they always arrive in azw3. What's the difference between Amazon's prefered format (azw3) KF8 and Mobi?
Most of the kindle books in the MR library are mobi.
Sony's LRF has very poor font support. It uses fake bold and fake italics and it shows. Also, the font used is not all that good anyway. With ePub, you can at least embed the font you want to use.

As for KF8, it supports more features. Also, more features are supported with Kindle firmware if you have a PW2 or later. If you want to make any changes, you can do so with the Calibre editor. You cannot easily make changes to Mobi.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:02 PM   #27
BookCat
C L J

The features on my Kindle are limited by the fact that it is always in airplane mode (I don't have wifi) and the device itself isn't registered. My Kindle Account was registered by phone. This means that the UI is slightly different, lacking some of the menu items which registered (and wifi connected) kindles have.
But if there are any other features, available in airplane mode, which KF8 gives, please tell me about them.

I won't be putting any more books on the 505, so the format for that is a moot point.