Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-06-2018, 05:52 AM   #106
JIPG-reader
Zealot
JIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Ed2, Onyx Boox C67ML
In my case (KOBO Aura H2O Ed2), the last firmware has no stats for new opened books. For books that were opened at least once before the firmware upgrade, the stats still work.
Curiously, I erased a book (already started) and reloaded it after the FW update, and the stats are still there!
JIPG-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:34 AM   #107
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIPG-reader View Post
In my case (KOBO Aura H2O Ed2), the last firmware has no stats for new opened books. For books that were opened at least once before the firmware upgrade, the stats still work.
Curiously, I erased a book (already started) and reloaded it after the FW update, and the stats are still there!
None of the methods for deleting a book remove the entries from the database that store the stats. Hence, if you remove a book, and put it back in the exact same place, the stats will still be there.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2018, 02:16 PM   #108
JIPG-reader
Zealot
JIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Ed2, Onyx Boox C67ML
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
None of the methods for deleting a book remove the entries from the database that store the stats. Hence, if you remove a book, and put it back in the exact same place, the stats will still be there.
So, if you return a book with the same name in the same folder, the stats are still there, although you have changed the book?. In my case I made some corrections of typos and styles, but as you said, I put it in the same folder with same name.
JIPG-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:34 PM   #109
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIPG-reader View Post
So, if you return a book with the same name in the same folder, the stats are still there, although you have changed the book?. In my case I made some corrections of typos and styles, but as you said, I put it in the same folder with same name.
Yes, that works. But, exactly what happens depends on how you put it there. If you manually copy the book, then when the device sees it, it is removed from the database, except the stats, and then added as a new book. That means you will lose any reading status or collections, but the metadata and ToC will be updated.

If you use calibre to resend it, the driver fiddles with the database to prevent the above. This has the advantage that you don't lose the reading position or collections, but the metadata and ToC are not updated. If you are doing things like fixing types and styles, this works well. But, if you rearrange the internal file structure, it isn't as good.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:56 AM   #110
MissHReads
MissHReads began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Glo HD
I had a response from customer service, that the problem with reading statistics won’t be fixed untill there is a new update, but that with the update all statistics will start anew. So what is lost is lost.

I’m kind of bummed, but also sort of happy that I now have stats at least starting ar the beginning of January (after sideloading older firmware.)
MissHReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2018, 09:48 AM   #111
sjordi
sjordi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O 2nd, iPad Pro 9.7, Kindle PaperWhite
I think I have a bug with that firmware version on my H2O 2nd edition.
Add a bookmark to a page (fold the top corner of the page).
Then turn off the Kobo (not just sleep).
Turn it back on.
Do you still have your bookmark? I don't.
Can anyone confirm this?
Thanks for any help
Steve
sjordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:12 AM   #112
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjordi View Post
Turn it back on.
Can anyone confirm this?
Thanks for any help
Steve
Are you shutting off while still on the page with the bookmark? If so, try changing the page and then shut down or try exiting the book and then shutting down.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:28 PM   #113
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If you use calibre do you get any error messages regarding a corrupt database?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:45 PM   #114
J_K
Enthusiast
J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: H2O 2, Aura 2, Clara HD, Touch
Quote:
Turn it back on.
Can anyone confirm this?
Thanks for any help
Steve
I tried (twice) on a book from the official Kobo store. Bookmarked the page, powered off and on, re-opened the book. The bookmark was still there when the book opened.

Have you tried with different books?
J_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:17 AM   #115
sjordi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are you shutting off while still on the page with the bookmark? If so, try changing the page and then shut down or try exiting the book and then shutting down.
I tried what you say, bookmark, move one page back. Shut off. Turn on, go back to the next page. No bookmark.
Funny thing is that the bookmarks are noted in the annotations menu. You see them listed, they just don't show on screen.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:20 AM   #116
sjordi

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_K View Post
I tried (twice) on a book from the official Kobo store. Bookmarked the page, powered off and on, re-opened the book. The bookmark was still there when the book opened.

Have you tried with different books?
Yes I did try personal ePubs, bought ones... none show the bookmark.
Reformatted everything, reinstalled the firmware. Installed 1 book. Doesn't work.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:37 PM   #117
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Yes I did try personal ePubs, bought ones... none show the bookmark.
Reformatted everything, reinstalled the firmware. Installed 1 book. Doesn't work.
I am curious as to what you mean by reformatted. Does that mean you did a factory reset?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:45 PM   #118
sjordi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I am curious as to what you mean by reformatted. Does that mean you did a factory reset?
Yes, factory reset. Then erased all directory contents. Reinstalled a new firmware (the same 4.7.10413), reinstalled just one book. Still the same.
It's really funny in a way as the bookmarks are correctly referenced though., they just don't show up.
If I tap on the top right corner of the screen, the page folded icon immediately appears. Since it is referenced, it should not. It should consider I'm actually removing the bookmark. Instead it turns the bookmark on even though it's already referenced as such.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:16 PM   #119
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Yes, factory reset. Then erased all directory contents. Reinstalled a new firmware (the same 4.7.10413), reinstalled just one book. Still the same.
It's really funny in a way as the bookmarks are correctly referenced though., they just don't show up.
If I tap on the top right corner of the screen, the page folded icon immediately appears. Since it is referenced, it should not. It should consider I'm actually removing the bookmark. Instead it turns the bookmark on even though it's already referenced as such.
That's what I was wondering about. After a factory reset, the user partition has been wiped back to factory and you do not need to erase any contents. All ebooks, fonts, etc. would have been removed. The two directories that would be left in the root would be .adobe-digital-editions and .kobo (the leading . makes them a Unix OS hidden partition). Removing either of those two directories or their contents from that partition is a very bad idea.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:43 PM   #120
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
That's what I was wondering about. After a factory reset, the user partition has been wiped back to factory and you do not need to erase any contents. All ebooks, fonts, etc. would have been removed. The two directories that would be left in the root would be .adobe-digital-editions and .kobo (the leading . makes them a Unix OS hidden partition). Removing either of those two directories or their contents from that partition is a very bad idea.
Not sure what happens when you remove the ".adobe-digital-editions", but if you remove the ".kobo" directory, it will just reboot and go through the setup. Pretty much the same as signing out of the Kobo account.