Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #76
BoldlyDubious
what if...?
BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paper & electrophoretic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Anything done on the internet is out in the public, there is no reasonable expectation of privacy.
This is not true. If my computer connects to a server of yours and they exchange data, these data are *not* public. They are known to me and you alone. If they are encrypted, even sniffing the IP packets cannot lead (without effort) to the original data. So: things done on the internet are generally not public, unless you want them to be.

If you and I are talking on the sidewalk, this does not mean that the things we are saying are public, i.e. that it's legal for someone else to record our voices from afar, then use or sell or distribute the information gathered this way.

Last edited by BoldlyDubious; 07-20-2013 at 04:46 PM. Reason: typo!
BoldlyDubious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #77
BoldlyDubious
what if...?
BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Even if they couldn't make a convincing argument and the data collection ended up regulated, what's to stop them from hosting their services in countries that don't care about privacy? Once that happens, legislators have no control over the collection of data.
Now we are getting into technicalities; however, we are not talking of services running on remote servers, but of software prepared and distributed by Amazon which runs on your own machine. So local laws should apply. (Just guessing, of course... any expert reading this?)
Advert
Old 07-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #78
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldlyDubious View Post
I think that this is an interesting thread. I also think that MattW's posts were civil and reasonable in their content and tone, and that even the one that MattW defined as a "rant" could not, by any reasonable definition of "political rant", be classified as one.
So, I found the "moderating" intervention by HarryT to be inappropriate.

Inappropriate, but oddly pertinent to this thread, that is. I think it's creepy that we (the world) have come to a point where public discussions about privacy issues get stopped for no clear reasons.
OK, so you don't think that a post of 500+ words where you can find the word 'government(s)' 7 times is political. That's fine, but HarryT didn't say that the thread will be closed, so the discussion wouldn't be stopped. And there is a "Politics and Religion" forum and the members who post there are actually interested in discussing politics and religion. The majority of the members of MobileRead don't want to discuss politics and religion, and don't want to have the high tension that results from discussions on politics and religion interfere with the regular threads.

And I could be wrong, but I think that usually Moderator Notices come as a result a decision among moderators and not just one person's snap judgement.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #79
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
This is not true. If my computer connects to a server of yours and they exchange data, these data are *not* public. They are known to me and you alone. If they are encrypted, even sniffing the IP packets cannot lead (without effort) to the original data. So: things done on the internet are generally not public, unless you want them to be.

If you and me are talking on the sidewalk, this does not mean that the things we are saying are public, i.e. that it's legal for someone else to record our voices from afar, then use or sell or distribute the information gathered this way.
It would be foolish to assume that any communication on the internet was private. If you are applying encryption you are obviously aware of that fact.

As to a sidewalk conversation; What is legal depends on jurisdiction and varies greatly. But if you can show where someone used such a recording and you were damaged by such use you could recover damages, even if that jurisdiction had no law against making such a recording. Now that could be effected by the interpretation of the First Amendment that deals with public figures, that limits their ability to recover damages in such cases.

Am I to take it, from this series of posts, that you feel that the mere collection of certain data is or should be a criminal act? Not all people see it that way.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #80
BoldlyDubious
what if...?

Quote:
Am I to take it, from this series of posts, that you feel that the mere collection of certain data is or should be a criminal act? Not all people see it that way.
Of course not. However, I feel that if a piece of software (or internet service) does things that can significantly impact on your privacy, you should be made very aware of that, and given full information about what is done and what data will be transmitted to whom. This is not always the case.
Advert
Old 07-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #81
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
.. Anything done on the internet is out in the public, there is no reasonable expectation of privacy.
That's just one of these claims that are being trotted out repeatedly without any supporting arguments. When I do online banking I do indeed expect privacy, to give just one example. What Amazon is doing here isn't remotely like "overhearing someone on the sidewalk", it is far more comparable to bugging someone's home. It's not even being done "on the internet", it's done on the user's computer.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #82
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
The majority of the members of MobileRead don't want to discuss politics and religion, and don't want to have the high tension that results from discussions on politics and religion interfere with the regular threads.
Quote:
And I could be wrong, but I think that usually Moderator Notices come as a result a decision among moderators and not just one person's snap judgement.
That's is both correct. While politics are sometimes unavoidable in everyday discussions, if the focus of the discussion is politics, it should be posted in our dedicated, opt-in politics and religion section.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #83
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Ok, so bugging your house is a crime and is forbidden. Why shouldn't bugging your browser be treated the same way?
Uh, we are *still* talking about a browser plug-in that you have to actively install yourself, right?

Malware is already illegal.
But opt-in software that *you* install is hardly "bugging your browser".

If that is your perception you might want to avoid installing the plug-in to start with, no?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #84
BoldlyDubious
what if...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Uh, we are *still* talking about a browser plug-in that you have to actively install yourself, right?

Malware is already illegal.
But opt-in software that *you* install is hardly "bugging your browser".

If that is your perception you might want to avoid installing the plug-in to start with, no?
Yes, provided that who provides the software tells you everything it does, and especially tells you about the features that are concerned with your privacy.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #85
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Yes, provided that who provides the software tells you everything it does, and especially tells you about the features that are concerned with your privacy.
Privacy concerns are usually written in the Terms and Conditions.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #86
BoldlyDubious
what if...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Privacy concerns are usually written in the Terms and Conditions.
Yes. As clauses are written in a contract. However (in my country at least) there are special classes of clauses that need to be signed not only once, but multiple times to be valid/enforceable: this ensures that your attention is drawn towards them.

A similar mechanism could be very useful for the Terms and Conditions of software packages, too. For instance, I think that the installation procedure for Android apps is a step in the right direction, because it requires that you explicitly authorize the software to access each specific category of your personal data. However, this is not sufficient: the procedure should also inform you about what the app does with the data (things like: it processes data locally on your device/it gives someone else access to the data).
Old 07-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #87
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Good god, some of you people are simply unbelievable! If you are that worried about your damn privacy, then get the hell off of your pc & throw it out don't go online for anything whatsoever and live in a cave somewhere! Oh and don't use a cellphone or a pc at work or any current technology.

I have no problem with Amazon sending me ads for wheeled luggage since I am shopping for one currently. If they post an ad that strikes my fancy then I will buy it. That is a benefit for me.

Now you know I'm looking for luggage, just what are you, the govt, or anyone else can/going to do with that knowledge that can possibly help you and hurt me?

Go take your medication and make an appt. with your therapist or just crawl into an anonymous hole somewhere.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #88
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Good god, some of you people are simply unbelievable! If you are that worried about your damn privacy, then get the hell off of your pc & throw it out don't go online for anything whatsoever and live in a cave somewhere! Oh and don't use a cellphone or a pc at work or any current technology.

I have no problem with Amazon sending me ads for wheeled luggage since I am shopping for one currently. If they post an ad that strikes my fancy then I will buy it. That is a benefit for me.

Now you know I'm looking for luggage, just what are you, the govt, or anyone else can/going to do with that knowledge that can possibly help you and hurt me?

Go take your medication and make an appt. with your therapist or just crawl into an anonymous hole somewhere.
Nicely put (and so delicately)...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #89
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
If you are that worried about your damn privacy, then get the hell off of your pc & throw it out don't go online for anything whatsoever and live in a cave somewhere!
Does it really have to be an either-or proposition? Yes, we give up some privacy every time we interact with other people. But should we be expected to give up most of our privacy in order to interact with other people?

Quote:
I have no problem with Amazon sending me ads for wheeled luggage since I am shopping for one currently.
Some people would disagree. Some people don't like being bombarded by personalized email from the companies that they deal with. Others don't like the manipulative nature of advertising. Others find the amount of tracking of their personal tastes creepy. Then you have the extreme cases, like Target and that pregnant teen.

Quote:
It takes all types in this world. It is good that you have people who are concerned about privacy because I doubt that anyone wants their entire life to be an open book. Whether you agree with them all of the time is a different issue altogether. While I do advocate privacy, I tend to shy away from the conspiracy theorists simply because they are too paranoid (in my opinion). You may not agree with the degree to which I want my privacy preserved, but you are probably going to agree that there are some parts of your life that you want to be private.

Please try to find some tollerance rather than medicating those who you disagree with!
Old 07-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #90
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Does it really have to be an either-or proposition? Yes, we give up some privacy every time we interact with other people. But should we be expected to give up most of our privacy in order to interact with other people?

Some people would disagree. Some people don't like being bombarded by personalized email from the companies that they deal with. Others don't like the manipulative nature of advertising. Others find the amount of tracking of their personal tastes creepy. Then you have the extreme cases, like Target and that pregnant teen.

It takes all types in this world. It is good that you have people who are concerned about privacy because I doubt that anyone wants their entire life to be an open book. Whether you agree with them all of the time is a different issue altogether. While I do advocate privacy, I tend to shy away from the conspiracy theorists simply because they are too paranoid (in my opinion). You may not agree with the degree to which I want my privacy preserved, but you are probably going to agree that there are some parts of your life that you want to be private.

Please try to find some tollerance rather than medicating those who you disagree with!
This is about COMMON SENSE! If I don't want it out in public, I DON'T POST ABOUT IT!

When someone can show that these companies are posting SSN, addresses, bank accounts etc. willy nilly then I will get worked up. (And I'm not talking about stolen info!) Until then there are a bunch of men/women who are constantly crying wolf who can easily just STOP using this technology and keep all of their info private.

Last edited by cfrizz; 07-20-2013 at 08:13 PM.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote