Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #31
ATown
ATown began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I can't keep Calibre open for longer than 30 seconds from initial start up to even change any settings. I am new to it, and was hoping to start to learn and use it, but alas, it won't even stay open. I've tried the newest version as well as 8.17, and both just shut down within seconds of opening them up. I've uninstalled/re-installed, restarted computer, checked for disk space and tried running it as administrator. To no avail. :/
ATown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #32
honkytonk
honkytonk began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I am having the constant crash issue with the last 2 versions of Calibre. It happens about 1 out of every 3 times I edit the authors name on the main screen. I am running XP SP3. I run some very memory and cpu intensive apps and never have any issues so I know the problem is not related to my hardware. In earlier versions I never had this problem.

HT
honkytonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #33
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by honkytonk View Post
I am having the constant crash issue with the last 2 versions of Calibre. It happens about 1 out of every 3 times I edit the authors name on the main screen. I am running XP SP3. I run some very memory and cpu intensive apps and never have any issues so I know the problem is not related to my hardware. In earlier versions I never had this problem.

HT
Run the Library (db) Maintenance, both sections, to the end. Located on the Library Icon right-click menu
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #34
honkytonk

I ran both parts of the DB maintenance and had no errors. Then I went to the main window and tried to change 1 author name. C crashed immediately.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #35
honkytonk

C Crashes

Is it possible that I need to rebuild my library? If I delete the DB and remove the lib in C can I then use the option to create a new lib pointing at my book folder.
If I do this will the metadata be retained?

Thanks,

HT
Advert
Old 07-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #36
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Is it possible that I need to rebuild my library? If I delete the DB and remove the lib in C can I then use the option to create a new lib pointing at my book folder.
If I do this will the metadata be retained?

Thanks,

HT
I would say there is nothing wrong with the DB (The DB is the key part of the Library)
Check the permissions (and ownership) on ALL files and Folder names in the Library. You may have a Windows Filesystem error.

A TESTONLY: Try and add (rename) Just a number 5 onto the end of the (problem) Author Name folder.
Did it change without error? Put it back the way it was (remove the 5) carefully
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:26 AM   #37
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I ran both parts of the DB maintenance and had no errors. Then I went to the main window and tried to change 1 author name. C crashed immediately.
One more thing you can try. Close calibre then move, rename or delete your calibre settings folder. Then start calibre. Calibre will recreate your settings directory from scratch (any custom setting will revert to default). See if it crashes.

If your not sure where your settings directory is, open calibre and go to preferences - Miscellaneous and click the Open calibre configuration directory. This is the directory you will need to move, rename or delete.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:06 AM   #38
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The common factor in all these crashing reports appears to be the use of a text field with completion. For example, editing authors in the main books list or editing authors in the edit metadata dialog. That helps me narrow down the possibilities. I still cannot reproduce the problem, but I can try a few things, stay tuned. It would be very helpful if one you can setup calibre to run from source on your computer, that way I dont have to create a new build every time I want you to test something. Instructions for doing so are here:

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/develop.html
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:12 AM   #39
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's a build that has changed the way that the author/series/etc. editing fields work. Hopefully that will fix your crashes. Try it and see.

http://calibre-ebook.com/downloads/b...bre-0.8.58.msi
Old 07-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #40
Ptaker
Enthusiast
Ptaker began at the beginning.

Device: K3 Wifi No Ads/K4 Wifi ads
My Debug Logs After installing BETA CAlibre 0.8.58

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Here's a build that has changed the way that the author/series/etc. editing fields work. Hopefully that will fix your crashes. Try it and see.

http://calibre-ebook.com/downloads/b...bre-0.8.58.msi
Attached are the three Debug Logs that were created after crashes of Calibre. Prior to those crashes I did install the Calibre BETA 0.8.58. I added REM notes at the end of each of the two Debug logs that explained what I was doing prior to the crash. I hope they will help to discover why the program is not as stable as in the past. (The file date and time of each crash is in the file names).
Attached Files
File Type: txt tmpopcyip 0704 At 247PM.txt (30.1 KB, 157 views)
File Type: txt tmpteruou 0704 At 208 PM.txt (114.2 KB, 894 views)
File Type: txt tmpcoqw7v 0706 at 5 40 PM.txt (23.6 KB, 342 views)

Last edited by Ptaker; 07-06-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Uploaded third file. Program Crashed Again
Ptaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #41
honkytonk

I downloaded and installed the build you directed me to. It seems to have solved my problems. I have added 3 books, changed the author name on several and had no crashes.
Installed the new build was all that I did....no moving, renaming of anything.
Thanks,
HT
Old 07-16-2012, 10:40 PM   #42
Ptaker
Enthusiast

Calibre Crashes due to Python27.dll

Calibre crashed due to Python27.dll, version 2.7.3150.1013. Previously I did a complete uninstall of Calibre 0858 and installed the Calibre 0858 beta as suggested. Calibre still was crashing. I then installed Calibre 0859 and finally 0860. Same result. I could be using the program with the Metafile information and it crashes.

NOTE: I did put the program into Debug mode in the past but it crashed without a log. This time it bombed in debug mode but did provide the attached information.

Question: How can I replace the Python27.dll version 2.7.3150.1013 with an updated version that will work? I cannot stand the constant crashing.

Please help me here. Thank you. I see that others have had this problem in the past but cannot find a solution.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Calibre Error Report.pdf (23.1 KB, 123 views)
File Type: pdf Calibre Bombed 071612 at 942pm.pdf (69.3 KB, 153 views)
Old 07-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #43
Ptaker
Enthusiast

Moved to a separate thread

I decided to move this error to a new thread today (7/17/2012)
Old 11-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #44
clittle
Zealot
clittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle 3
Hi,

It's been four months since I began experiencing this problem.

I "solved" it by reverting to an older Calibre version.

But now, I've set up the latest version (0.9.6) on a new Win 8 machine and am still getting the same or similar problem.

The only crashes I've seen so far are when editing author names while using the duplicates finder plugin. But it happens constantly so I can't really do any such editing.

My four months old problem also involved editing authors but that was b4 the dups finder was available.

If there's anything I can do to help zero in on the problem please let me know. I'll be happy to help in any way I can.

Thanks,

CL
clittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #45
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The only thing that can be done at this point is to run calibre under a debugger. That requires developer skills.