Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #1
readit
Enthusiast
readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.

Device: Binatone ReadMeClassic 6",TravelmateC110 10.4",HTC Wizard WinMobile
Lightbulb You ask "What to buy"? read this: Officially Too Damn Many Ebook Readers

Found a dmn good article on gizmodo from Wilson Rothman, who wrote it last year, but it's still (...or even more) true now, 2011...

"There will soon be two kinds of happy ebook-reader owners. The people who paid a fair amount for a reputable ebook reader from one of the companies they already buy books from, and the people who spend like $50 on a no-name ebook reader that supports a lot of formats, who gets every book they can think of as a pirated copy over BitTorrent. Everyone else—both the buyers of tier-two ebook readers and the makers of them—are going to be screwed...."

and

"...In fact, cheap e-ink readers will essentially be targeted at people with libraries of pirated books, for people who read the fine print of file compatibility, and ignore all the wireless connectivity and insta-bookstore stuff that consumers are currently excited about...."

Link to the article:
http://gizmodo.com/5443102/there-are...-ebook-readers
readit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #2
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
TIL: I'm a pirate because I don't care about wireless connectivity and instant bookstore access.

EDIT:

"fine print" of file compatibility? This coming from a tech website?
Wow, what a bunch of hacks. I wish people just do tech journalism instead of writing up blatant and obvious controversy just to drum up views.

Plus, that "expert" prediction came to be false. The ebook reader market is more competitive than ever with lots of reputable companies releasing high quality products.

Last edited by rahulm; 07-06-2011 at 08:48 AM.
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Nonsense.

Cheap readers are perfect for a trip to someplace likely to damage your equipment - say a desert deployment in the military.

And I have an extensive paid for library dating back to the dot com era. A lot of it is in .lit and .pdb so a reader that reads those and epub and mobi is a good thing.

If I buy an Aluratek for 50 bucks I am only out that much if my drybag doesn't save it from the heat and sandstorms.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
readit
Enthusiast
readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.readit has never been to obedience school.

Device: Binatone ReadMeClassic 6",TravelmateC110 10.4",HTC Wizard WinMobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulm View Post
Plus, that "expert" prediction came to be false. The ebook reader market is more competitive than ever with lots of reputable companies releasing high quality products.
He doesn't say it would get less competitive... in my opinion it is not competitive enough over the whole price range...as long as the "reputable" companies can milk the top-shelf-buyers without real competion, they are more than welcome! I would do that

And as long as almost every bored housewife worldwide with their Christmas-Kindle is happy to BUY their soap opera book on amazon instead of learning how to simply use google search to find the same books for free, Amazon is happy too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phogg
Cheap readers are perfect for a trip to someplace likely to damage your equipment...if I buy an Aluratek for 50 bucks I am only out that much if my drybag doesn't save it from the heat and sandstorms.
..or get stolen, or simply if the money is not available...
readit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Come on, that was an "old" (January 2010) article and had very little to do with how things are "today".
I think the development since then shows the person who wrote it seriously wrong and really not worth commenting on.
This person seems to be aware of Amazon and really not much else. Libaries? Maybe they weren't that big in the US back then, what do I know? The world outside US? Is there such a thing?
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I'd imagine most pirated books are terrible PDF scans, and thus not the best on cheap 5 and inches screen. But then again, perhaps not true anymore: DRM-stripped ebooks in mobi or ePub may be more popular than ever...

It's a shame, but yeah, only really competitive players in the market are kindle and nook...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by readit View Post

And as long as almost every bored housewife worldwide with their Christmas-Kindle is happy to BUY their soap opera book on amazon instead of learning how to simply use google search to find the same books for free, Amazon is happy too!
I don't see the humor in this. I suspect the book's author would prefer someone buy their book rather than to pirate it.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:32 AM   #8
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
I don't think this article has come true. Where is that $50 e-ink reader? There really aren't that many no-name e-ink readers still selling. IIRC the 6" e-ink screen itself costs more than $50, so it's hard for them to compete with Kindle and Nook on price alone.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:12 AM   #9
varelov
Enthusiast
varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: nook
After some consideration over which eInk reader to buy in order to be able to read those darn pdf's with too many tables, bullet points and varying fonts and sizes, I bought a phone with an Awesome Screen. It reads PDF's the way they were supposed to be displayed plus if I want to read eBooks that I already have on my eReader, they are just one tap on the nookApp away. It is not a screen as big as tablets', but has plenty of real estate already and renders images beautifully.
Yes it isn't eInk and glare is there, but it is highly portable and multifunctional, I am already carrying it with me most of the time and I consider this problem solved.
eInk readers that are comfortable with displaying PDF's correctly are never going to come out. Makers of such readers and content distributors are just to darn happy to lock us up in their own proprietary formats that are supposed to be the next big thing to beat PDF.
That's it for my eInk reader shopping. I don't have "too damn many eBook readers" and I was choosing what to buy. If they ever come out with a eInk computer screen, I may reconsider. Till then...
varelov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #10
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by varelov View Post
eInk readers that are comfortable with displaying PDF's correctly are never going to come out.
With the obvious exception of colour, I've never noticed an issue with the actual display of PDFs on my Sony PRS-650, and my documents usually include tables, bullet points, graphics, pull-out boxes and multiple columns.

Yes, the screen is too small at 6" and I have to scroll around (and for that reason would want a larger device) but the actual display is certainly what I'd call correct.

Where do you find difficulties (I've not tried pdfs that involve complex equations, for example)?

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #11
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Wow it's a good thing that's in the Opinion section of their site. The way I read that article he just doesn't like/doesn't see a need for e-readers/e-ink so he's dumping on them all. I don't see how a slate is going to solve the piracy issue or the DRM confusion issue or any of the multitude of supposed issues he see's with e-books. And I'm not interested in slate for reading, I'm quite happy with my e-ink thanks. It's amazing how far the e-book market has shifted since that article was written, since the little no-name companies (read Kobo) are putting out product that's improving every day and are close to being a superior product to the Kindles of the world. Not to mention the fact that they have forced the big guys to bring down their prices to a point where the mass market can afford/is willing to buy them.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #12
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
besides the US and English language and .epub format there are other languages, countries and formats - supported by 'nonames' (which are getting some name in places outside US) and not supported by big guys like Amazon...
Plus, there is folder management, some may like the way Kindle is handling its content, some would prefer a little more control over their own ebooks.
Plus, don't forget that e-Reading appeared a long time before Kindle did Folks may have tons of stuff in their libraries, and this stuff couldn't be shown properly on Kindles or Nooks, while PocketBook or Onyx would show them pretty well.
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote