Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #31
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
I'm thinking this is something they will fix in an update.
If you are talking about the cover issue, one of the Nook engineers is soliciting documents on the B&N boards where the cover doesn't show up (unfortunately, all of my books, including O'Reilly, that weren't processed by Calibre) so they can fix it in the next release.

If you are talking about the home screen, well ... I agree with others that is likely an anti-customer business decision.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #32
bilbothejust
Enthusiast
bilbothejust is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad -> Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
I'm thinking this is something they will fix in an update.
Kind of cries out for someone to root the device already huh? That's what I'm thinking.
bilbothejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 04:04 PM   #33
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
I think if there is enough outcry, they will allow sideloaded books on the home screen in an update. Either that or it is indeed a business decision but maybe in a different way. Maybe they intended all along to allow it but, they always planned to do it in an update to "give the people what they want" in an update. Kind of to make the update more substantial. Either way, it would be nice, but it's a minor thing.

And yes, I'll be interested in seeing what they Devs can do if they root the device.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:08 PM   #34
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
For those reading from the outside, the Home Screen does offer a nice drop-down menu with a few of your recently accessed books so it is very easy to bounce between a few sideloaded documents (that and sorting by recent in the Library).

You simply lack the ability to clutter your background wallpaper with non-B&N books.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:42 AM   #35
Themus
Zealot
Themus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook
Seemed to work, briefly

Quote:
Originally Posted by belden View Post
When I got my new Nook Color, I copied over a bunch of (legitimately purchased but un-DRMd) ePubs. Only a few of them showed up with the correct book art, even with many of them showing the correct art in Calibre. Because of the publisher defaults regarding font and margin size and not being able to adjust them as completely as I'd like on the Nook Color, I have been using Calibre to explode the ePubs, rebuild them as .PRC files, and then use Calibre to convert them back to ePubs which keeps the formatting intact but allows me to adjust the settings I want (although there may be an easier way to do this). The point is, as part of the conversion back to ePub I have made sure I have the correct covers set in Calibre before conversion and doing this has made every one of the covers show up correctly on the Nook Color. I have also noticed though that if I upload more than about three or four ePubs to the Nook Color at a time, sometimes I have to cycle through the different sections of the library (magazines, extras) and change the view from thumbnails to the different lists before all of the covers refresh and show up correctly. My guess is that too many covers at once don't load properly because of cache or memory issues (I am completely making that up and guessing).
I took a ePub that was public domain, converted it in Calibre to a mobi/prc file, deleted the original ePub, converted it back to ePub, and transferred it over the NookColor.

The cover showed up properly. When I did my second conversion, and refresheded the NookColor screen, it has reverted back to the generic cover.!

It really is a shame there isn't a better deal on these covers. So of defeats the nice color screen. Still I wouldn't mind doing the labor once if it held.
Themus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 09:56 AM   #36
ypocaramel
Connoisseur
ypocaramel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-700, Barnes and Noble NOOKcolor)
B&N, as a content provider, is always balancing the need to promote their content and delivery systems with the need to give you a decent device so that people actually buy the device that promotes their platform. In my view, in this case B&N books already have Lendme as a differentiator, so the homescreen bit feels a bit excessive.
ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #37
Baka no Kami
Baka no Kami is on a distinguished road

Device: Baka no Kami
I think I found something. I took a couple of epubs that wouldn't show the covers on the NC, converted them to mobi files, then back to epub after removing the original. The covers started showing up on the NC like it had when others tried that.

Then I opened up the new epubs and compared some of the files to the original versions looking to see what had changed.

Inside the epubs in a file called content.opf I found the following lines:

In the <metadata> section:
<meta name="cover" content="cover1"/>

And in the <manifest> section:
<item href="cover.jpeg" id="cover1" media-type="image/jpeg"/>

That "cover1" was just "cover" in the working epubs. It looks like when the NC scans a new epub it looks for something to have the id of "cover" in this file. If the cover image isn't assigned an id of "cover" then the NC doesn't use the image. I removed the '1' from those two lines in the original, non-cover, epubs and reloaded them onto the NC. Once I refreshed the epubs started showing with the right cover images.

This might not be the case for all files, but at least it's something that's easy to check/fix.
Baka no Kami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:01 PM   #38
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I DEDRM all my purchases. I have two B&N ePubs. With DRM tne cover shows. Without DRM the overdoesn't show in library.

And I loathe thlhe Android keyboard. Howthe heckk do you mov the crsor to correct errors without backspacing like a Maniac?

Typed on my NOOKcolor
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:09 PM   #39
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
Could I ask where you opened up the epubs and how were you able to view these sections? I just got a new Nook today and downloaded all my books that I had on Calibre (299 books, all DRM stripped, most epub but some pdf, and all had covers added to Calibre's metadata. They all show up on Calibre, but only a very few showed up on my nook. I'd like to try to fix this, but I am not sure how you "found" what you did? Sorry for sounding like a noob here.
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:10 PM   #40
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

And I loathe thlhe Android keyboard. Howthe heckk do you mov the crsor to correct errors without backspacing like a Maniac?

Typed on my NOOKcolor[/QUOTE]

I tapped my finger/fingernail at/near the spot where I made my typing/spelling error and it set the cursor at that point so I could correct it.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:16 PM   #41
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by leday View Post

I tapped my finger/fingernail at/near the spot where I made my typing/spelling error and it set the cursor at that point so I could correct it.
I tried that and always ended up a few spaces off. I like the iOS slide bubble for exact placement of the cursor more than I knew.

Typed on my iPad
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:57 AM   #42
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
I have the same problem and I found it quite annoying. Without the error keys, there is simply no way to correct or edit the text after you write it. Trying to locate it on the touch screen is as clueless since I am always off when I tap on the screen. Oh well, it is a minor annoyance so far. I am typing this on my PC. A physical keyboard is much better.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:20 AM   #43
Baka no Kami
Baka no Kami is on a distinguished road

Device: Baka no Kami
Quote:
Originally Posted by leday View Post
Could I ask where you opened up the epubs and how were you able to view these sections? I just got a new Nook today and downloaded all my books that I had on Calibre (299 books, all DRM stripped, most epub but some pdf, and all had covers added to Calibre's metadata. They all show up on Calibre, but only a very few showed up on my nook. I'd like to try to fix this, but I am not sure how you "found" what you did? Sorry for sounding like a noob here.
Right click on any book in Calibre and select "Tweak ePub". Then click the "Explode ePub" button on the pop up you get. Look for a file called content.opf and open it. The first time you do this Windows is going to tell you that it doesn't know what an opf file is and ask what to use to open it. Pick Wordpad (the file's easier to read than it would be in notepad). Once the file is open look for the lines I listed above. If it's not using "cover" in the places I mentioned, make that change, close the file saving the changes, then click "Rebuild ePub" on Calibre's pop up window to store the corrected files back into the ePub.
Baka no Kami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:29 AM   #44
leday
Groupie

Thanks! I'll try that.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:36 AM   #45
leday
Groupie

Not working. On all the epubs where there is no cover visible there is NO "content.opf" file generated (there is a differently named .opf file in a subfolder, however, with different commands in it, but the NC does not "see" this file, apparently). I tried to regenerate the opf file by using Calibre to fetch the metadata from the server again, and in one case this DID regenerate a "content.opf" file, BUT NC still didn't show the cover. Don't know how to fix this at this point.