Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-25-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank
DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Sigil, HTML Tidy or PEBCAK?

I don't know if this is an issue with Sigil, HTML Tidy or (ahem) the user.

I created a book using Sigil, containing several chapters with xhtml filenames "1stDay.xhtml", "2ndDay.xhtml", ... , "30thDay.xhtml". I then created an "Index" chapter, containing numerous links to places within the other chapters. These included references such as: <a href="../Text/23rdDay.xhtml#PSM23">.

When I was done editing, I found that several links were broken. When I opened the book in Sigil to check on the code, I discovered that, randomly, the chapter references in the links were changed. For example, the above was changed to: <a href="../Text/3rdDay.xhtml#PSM23">. This didn't happen on all of the links, but when it did, in every case, the alteration was that the first digit in the chapter name was dropped. There are more details, but I'll save those for the issue report, if there is one.

I was able to fix it by inserting a letter at the beginning of each file name. Apparently, there is a problem with files that begin with numerals.

So here is the question: Does this look like a bug in Sigil for which I should open an issue, a problem with HTML Tidy that the Sigil folks can't do anything about, or is it simply forbidden to start an xhtml file name with a numeral (a rule I'm not aware of)?

(*PEBCAK: Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard)
DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM View Post
I don't know if this is an issue with Sigil, HTML Tidy or (ahem) the user.

I created a book using Sigil, containing several chapters with xhtml filenames "1stDay.xhtml", "2ndDay.xhtml", ... , "30thDay.xhtml". I then created an "Index" chapter, containing numerous links to places within the other chapters. These included references such as: <a href="../Text/23rdDay.xhtml#PSM23">.

When I was done editing, I found that several links were broken. When I opened the book in Sigil to check on the code, I discovered that, randomly, the chapter references in the links were changed. For example, the above was changed to: <a href="../Text/3rdDay.xhtml#PSM23">. This didn't happen on all of the links, but when it did, in every case, the alteration was that the first digit in the chapter name was dropped. There are more details, but I'll save those for the issue report, if there is one.

I was able to fix it by inserting a letter at the beginning of each file name. Apparently, there is a problem with files that begin with numerals.

So here is the question: Does this look like a bug in Sigil for which I should open an issue, a problem with HTML Tidy that the Sigil folks can't do anything about, or is it simply forbidden to start an xhtml file name with a numeral (a rule I'm not aware of)?

(*PEBCAK: Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard)
I believe there is a requirement that filenames begin with a letter in epubs. Over in the ePub group, someone mentioned that Calibre also balks on beginning digits.
It seems that both Sigil and Calibre try and fix the problem.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
This sounds like a bug. Try to make a repeatable test case and then head over to the issue tracker.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I believe there is a requirement that filenames begin with a letter in epubs. Over in the ePub group, someone mentioned that Calibre also balks on beginning digits.
It seems that both Sigil and Calibre try and fix the problem.
I use the following with no problems:

Code:
1-CHAPTER_IX.xhtml
indicating Part/Book 1 Chapter IX.

It's been workong fine so far.
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:41 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
I use the following with no problems:

Code:
1-CHAPTER_IX.xhtml
indicating Part/Book 1 Chapter IX.

It's been workong fine so far.
Moral: Don't believe everything reported at MR
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 10:45 PM   #6
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank
DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
This sounds like a bug. Try to make a repeatable test case and then head over to the issue tracker.
OK, I'll take care of that shortly.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #7
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank

This has been submitted, with a sample file, as issue #598.