Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #61
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Try a Hello World with some 'Double' math.
If it doesn't fault on 'illegal instruction' (or some such obvious thing) - call it done.
I did simple test using this code. Tested with two binaries: one built with neon support, one without. Works ok.

Code:
[root@kindle test]# ./test-neon 2.200002 2.200001 5
ans = 9.705820 5539 loop/msec
[root@kindle test]# ./test 2.200002 2.200001 5
ans = 9.705820 1478 loop/msec
baf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #62
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by baf View Post
I did simple test using this code. Tested with two binaries: one built with neon support, one without. Works ok.

Code:
[root@kindle test]# ./test-neon 2.200002 2.200001 5
ans = 9.705820 5539 loop/msec
[root@kindle test]# ./test 2.200002 2.200001 5
ans = 9.705820 1478 loop/msec
That seems strange.
Can you post test-neon binary somewhere I can grab it (PM if needed).
My bad - I misread the output.
Hardware is about 4x faster. That should make a difference to mpeg123 or any other media application.

Last edited by knc1; 06-11-2012 at 07:22 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #63
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That seems strange.
Can you post test-neon binary somewhere I can grab it (PM if needed).
why strange?
test
test-neon
test-vfpv3

Edit: read your edit too late

Last edited by baf; 06-11-2012 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Edit: ok, just read your edit :)
Old 06-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #64
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
why strange?
Because I can't read. I corrected my post above.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #65
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
why strange?
test
test-neon
test-vfpv3

Edit: read your edit too late
I added an index entry in Wiki:Tools:*nix knowledge linking to your post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=59
for you.

Last edited by knc1; 06-11-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:43 AM   #66
baf
Evangelist

Thanks. I updated linked post with additional info.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:33 AM   #67
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Thanks. I updated linked post with additional info.
That particular combination of -mcpu= -mtune= -march= is redundant
but it does no harm. Leave it just the way you have written it.

My own personal practice is to do as you have done:
put all the options right on the command line where the user can read them rather than expect the user to know the internals of the gcc option setting(s).

Translation: We who write the advice get to RTFM, end-users get to cut&paste.

Ref:
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4....ml#ARM-Options
Old 06-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #68
baf
Evangelist

Here is mplayer built with the above options (using neon fpu) if somebody wants to test.
Funny thing I didn't know is you can start movie out of the box, using X11 output:
Code:
./mplayer -vo x11 -title "L:A_N:application_ID:mplayer" test.mpg
However quality is terrible, maybe needs some tweeking.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #69
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Here is mplayer built with the above options (using neon fpu) if somebody wants to test.
Funny thing I didn't know is you can start movie out of the box, using X11 output:
Code:
./mplayer -vo x11 -title "L:A_N:application_ID:mplayer" test.mpg
However quality is terrible, maybe needs some tweeking.
The output needs dithering. I compliled mplayer awhile back and I was able to pipe the output to my gmplay that does dithered output, but I did not have sound (I was not able to get alsa sound working in my mplayer build)...

X11 does not know how to dither. Grayscale video IS horrible...

To see what dithering can do, check this out: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=177455
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #70
baf
Evangelist

@geekmaster
Thanks for the info. That's really impressive. I have to read and try all this stuff.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:36 AM   #71
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
A word of warning on the hardfloat front:

I've just updated my TC to use GCC 4.7-Linaro-2012.06, configured to default to the hardf ABI, and, well, don't:

It now generates binaries that'll call ld-linux-hardf instead of ld-linux (probably to avoid ABI mismatch between soft/hardf libraries).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:11 AM   #72
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
A word of warning on the hardfloat front:

I've just updated my TC to use GCC 4.7-Linaro-2012.06, configured to default to the hardf ABI, and, well, don't:

It now generates binaries that'll call ld-linux-hardf instead of ld-linux (probably to avoid ABI mismatch between soft/hardf libraries).
I read that somewhere on the Linaro site -
They have multi-lib'd the toolchain (and provide both run-times now).
The run-times are in another archive, alongside of the toolchain archive.

Since 2012.06 is a daily build on the repository trunk (it doesn't release until the end of the month), you might want to stay with the old 2012.05.
The release page is indexed:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Tool...ode_References
The 2012.05 (both compiler and runtime) is also mirrored at: http://drpbox.knetconnect.com/KeK

Maybe it was in the "Changes" or "Milestones" documentation:
Introduced in 2012.04, optional in 2012.05, adopted 2012.06
As I recall (but my memory may be wrong).

Last edited by knc1; 06-14-2012 at 05:00 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #73
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@knc1: .06 was released yesterday .

But, yeah, I'll check the previous release notes, I was using 4.6-2012.03 before that...

EDIT: Yup:

* Uses the new /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3 loader for hard float binaries
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #74
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@knc1: .06 was released yesterday .

But, yeah, I'll check the previous release notes, I was using 4.6-2012.03 before that...

EDIT: Yup:

* Uses the new /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3 loader for hard float binaries
Yup, that explains it. The notice of an upcoming change appeared in 2012.04 - so of course you didn't see it in your 2012.03 notes.

This Linaro project does not let grass grow under their feet, nor wait for gnu-gcc project to release something.

Of course, they have a fairly large corporation with deep pockets footing the bill - these are mostly paid professionals running at max. throttle.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #75
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
would be nice to get all these compilation titbits on one thread. the wiki section on cx-comp perhaps. makes notes... thanks for the tips

Last edited by twobob; 06-29-2012 at 09:03 AM. Reason: because I can't spell. blatantly
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
launcher add-ons