Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-14-2008, 06:11 AM   #1
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Judge a cover

Sure, they tell us not to judge a book by it's cover, but that's no reason not to judge the cover.

The following link to a post on the Smashing Magazine blog shows "some creative, expressive and appealing book covers". I think quite a few of you will like it and perhaps might have some links (Amazon?) to covers of books you've bought that you've really liked:

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008...nd-paperbacks/

Personally, I like the Nick Strathopoulos covers for the Terry Dowling Rynosseros books. Some of the works in the following link are Nick's (see the info for each image):

http://www.terrydowling.com/?id=covers

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:07 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
excellent link ! a well-designed bookcover can be a work of art just as well as the text inside it. thanks for reminding us that sometimes form counts as much as function. (speaking as a graphic designer i'm biased of course, but still).

i love smashing magazine, it's just smashing isn't it ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Very cool to see, particularly for some older editions. I absolutely love the one for "Small Crimes in an Age of Abundance". I've frequently suffered from book cover envy. I was never the guy in line buying books with cool covers. The only one I ever bought that I gave much thought to is this one from 1970. It went perfectly with the novel but no attribution was given for the cover art.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bellow Cover.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	12191  
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:44 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
my father frequently buys (used...) books he has never heard of, by authors he has never heard of, just because he likes the cover art.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:19 PM   #5
TommyCooper
Enthusiast
TommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket Reader, CyBook, Asus EEE PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
my father frequently buys (used...) books he has never heard of, by authors he has never heard of, just because he likes the cover art.
Seems like a good reason to me - at least your dad has something nice to look at if he doesn't like the content. There are some seriously beautiful and thought enhancing pieces of graphics and artwork on those covers. I wonder if the artwork influences not just our intention to buy the book, but also our overall perception of the content? Some of my favourite titles and authors there. Thanks for the links.

Tommy
TommyCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:16 PM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
Back in the 60s and 70s a lot of people I knew bought music albums because they liked the cover -- even from groups that they had never heard about. Not that I ever did such a thing you understand.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:33 AM   #7
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Back in the 60s and 70s a lot of people I knew bought music albums because they liked the cover -- even from groups that they had never heard about. Not that I ever did such a thing you understand.
I had the same thought when I read this thread! The one thing I've sorely missed with CDs (and even more with MP3s) is album cover art. CDs are just too danged small.

Back on topic:

A good cover always grabs my attention, may not but the book but I'll at least look at it.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:43 AM   #8
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Interesting that none of these are "illustration" covers, i.e. where something is portrayed which appears within the text. Then again, most seem to be non-fiction.

I should round up my collection of early SF covers.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:44 PM   #9
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
I like old style,hardcover covers.Like that eerie one for Machen's "Novel of the white powder".
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:38 PM   #10
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

here it is!

Old 04-21-2008, 08:47 PM   #11
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobolover View Post
here it is!
I don't know what he's drinking, but it's playing havoc with his complexion. I suggest an apricot facial scrub and a good quality moisturiser.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:49 AM   #12
Lobolover
Gorosei

Its the cover for "The novel of the white powder and other stories".You'd have to read the story itself to get it.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:13 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobolover View Post
Its the cover for "The novel of the white powder and other stories".You'd have to read the story itself to get it.
What? A cover that actually relates to the contents? What a novel idea.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:12 PM   #14
Lobolover
Gorosei

ive seen covers relating the oposite (liek Wordsworth clasics cover of Frankenstein)