Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-23-2011, 01:49 AM   #166
Vaesse
Zealot
Vaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
As I have mentioned in other threads, I am another plugin hound and just now getting around to reading the forums of all the wonderful plugins I have been using to make Calibre sing and dance just the way I want it to. Of course, in reading these forums, I'm coming up with new ideas of other things that I can do with Calibre.

So, here are a few questions that came to mind about what I've found in this forum.

First, the scenario: I have tags that I use as a stand in for "ondevice" for my iPhone and for my Kindle (when it's not attached). Currently I have a non-clearing reading list populating these tags and synching anything new I add. This is working flawlessly. Now I notice that there's a "remove" style list. If I set that to modify the SAME tag as my synch list, will it (as I hope) remove the tag as it removes the book from the Kindle? Would the tag repopulate on the next synch (as the book is still technically in the synch list)? I'm a bit tired so I'm not sure I'm expressing this as well as I could, but I'm hoping I'm getting the idea across. If combining two lists to the same tag doesn't work the way I want it to... does anyone have any ideas how I could get the same functionality (basically, removing from Kindle, removing tag, and ideally also removing from "On Kindle" reading list simultaneously)? I think it could work if I could clear the "to synch" reading list WITHOUT clearing the tag... keeping the list for only new stuff and the tag functioning as "ondevice".

Second, I read something that got me all psyched up, then I realized I probably read it wrong with my wishful thinking... I noticed someone saying something about an iTunes update in relation to Calibre. Are we (by any chance) at or approaching the ability to synch my Kindle app on my iPhone with Calibre in a similar way to the way I synch my Kindle (minus the nifty collections that I don't think the app supports)? If so, I'm beyond thrilled... I read on my iPhone at night in bed (where the backlight of the black page with white letters is much less disruptive than a light shining on my Kindle screen), but manipulating the books on my iPhone is SUCH a pain (especially when compared with the sweetness that is my Calibre enhanced Kindle)!

Thank you so much, kiwidude, for the wonderful app and I'm going to start following these threads to see what else comes down the pike.
Vaesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:15 AM   #167
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaesse View Post
Second, I read something that got me all psyched up, then I realized I probably read it wrong with my wishful thinking... I noticed someone saying something about an iTunes update in relation to Calibre. Are we (by any chance) at or approaching the ability to synch my Kindle app on my iPhone with Calibre in a similar way to the way I synch my Kindle (minus the nifty collections that I don't think the app supports)? If so, I'm beyond thrilled... I read on my iPhone at night in bed (where the backlight of the black page with white letters is much less disruptive than a light shining on my Kindle screen), but manipulating the books on my iPhone is SUCH a pain (especially when compared with the sweetness that is my Calibre enhanced Kindle)!
As far as I know there is no change in this area.

There is the recent announcement that due to changes in the way that Calibre handles its database there were changes to the setting in iTunes for syncing with iBooks and some consequences of these changes. However I have not seen any suggestion of support for syncing with other apps on iOS.

I must admit that it would be great if such functionality could be provided, but as I understand it there may well be restrictions in the automation interface provided by iTunes that prevent the development of such functionality.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:00 PM   #168
Vaesse
Zealot
Vaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolate

That sounds like about what I heard about iTunes, so no big surprise, though obviously a bit disappointing.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:45 AM   #169
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I came across what is possible a small display buglet today!

To reproduce do the following:
  1. Add some books to the Reading list
  2. Select the option to view the Reading list
  3. Highlight some books and select the option to Remove the book from list
  4. Nothing changes in Display, so select the option to view the list again. Now the books that have been removed disappear.
I think that the step 4 should have been unecessary and that the display should have been updated when they were removed in the step 3? However there may be a ratinal for this behavior that I have missed? As I said at the start not really a big issue, but just a deviation from what I expected.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #170
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@itimpi - it works as expected for me - the list refreshes after step 3. You must be doing a combination that the plugin is not expecting. IIRC the logic is that it compares the current search criteria in the search box with the name of the list, and if it finds they are the same then it effectively runs that search again to give the appearance of the books being removed.

What exactly was the name of your list and the search text being displayed when you choose "View reading list" at the time you do "Remove"?
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:48 PM   #171
Vaesse
Zealot

A part of my question seems to have gotten lost... I'll restate now that I'm awake and may be better able to state what I'm thinking.

I have tags that I use as a stand in for "ondevice" for my iPhone and for my Kindle (when it's not attached). Currently I have a non-clearing reading list populating these tags and synching anything new I add. This is working flawlessly.

However, I noticed that there's now a "remove" style list which might just make my life a bit easier. If I set that to modify the SAME tag as my synch list, will it remove the tag as it removes the book from the Kindle? How would the conflict of both the "add" and "remove" style lists containing the same book be handled? What would happen to the tag?

I think what I ideally want is a way to clear the "to synch" reading list WITHOUT clearing the tag. In other words, it would populate the tag when adding to the list, but leave it alone when removing it from the list. I can also see wanting it to work the other way, removing the tag, but not adding it. Basically this would make tag modification a three/four way switch:
1 - Modify tag on add and remove (as I believe it currently works)
2 - Modify tag only on add
3 - Modify tag only on remove
4 - Don't modify tag (not a real switch, but here for completeness)

In this scenario, what I would have is an "add" list set to option 2 above (for adding new stuff to my Kindle) and a "remove" list set to 3 (for stuff I'm done with). That way my tag would function (as I want it to) as "ondevice" for stuff that doesn't have a device and my lists would only hold stuff that's modifying, not my entire Kindle contents. As it is, my reading lists and tags are duplicative (except that the tags can't auto-synch).
Old 07-29-2011, 10:19 PM   #172
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
A couple of questions/wishes ....

Is there a way to have the "Remove items" job run before the "Sync [add] items" job when both are set run automatically as soon as the device is connected?

Any chance of incorporating a list that is automatically populated from the device?

Thanks
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:55 AM   #173
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
A part of my question seems to have gotten lost... I'll restate now that I'm awake and may be better able to state what I'm thinking.

I have tags that I use as a stand in for "ondevice" for my iPhone and for my Kindle (when it's not attached). Currently I have a non-clearing reading list populating these tags and synching anything new I add. This is working flawlessly.

However, I noticed that there's now a "remove" style list which might just make my life a bit easier. If I set that to modify the SAME tag as my synch list, will it remove the tag as it removes the book from the Kindle? How would the conflict of both the "add" and "remove" style lists containing the same book be handled? What would happen to the tag?
It might work (have you tried it?) but I think you would potentially get into a bit of a mess. Each list attempts to maintain the integrity of tags on it's members. So when you add a book to a list, in fact it reapplies the designated tag to every book contained in that list. So if you have book A on both list 1 and list 2, remove the book from list 2 only, and then add a book B to list 1, then if you are using the same tag for list 1 and 2 it will cause book A to get that tag again. It is only when that book is removed from all lists that are setup to apply that tag that you can be sure nothing will sneakily put the tag back on.

Quote:
I think what I ideally want is a way to clear the "to synch" reading list WITHOUT clearing the tag. In other words, it would populate the tag when adding to the list, but leave it alone when removing it from the list. I can also see wanting it to work the other way, removing the tag, but not adding it. Basically this would make tag modification a three/four way switch:
1 - Modify tag on add and remove (as I believe it currently works)
2 - Modify tag only on add
3 - Modify tag only on remove
4 - Don't modify tag (not a real switch, but here for completeness)

In this scenario, what I would have is an "add" list set to option 2 above (for adding new stuff to my Kindle) and a "remove" list set to 3 (for stuff I'm done with). That way my tag would function (as I want it to) as "ondevice" for stuff that doesn't have a device and my lists would only hold stuff that's modifying, not my entire Kindle contents. As it is, my reading lists and tags are duplicative (except that the tags can't auto-synch).
Ok, so if I understand correctly you are saying that rather than using a list to reflect the current books on your kindle you want to use a tag. That is understandable, since a list for books on your kindle would have to be manually maintained whenever you remove a book.

I don't have any objections to your suggestion, I think it adds flexibility for people who want to setup their lists in this particular way. Of course it still requires you to be disciplined about using the lists only as your way of adding or removing books or else your tags will get out of sync, though a simple query while your device is plugged in can show you any mismatches.

When I find som time I will add support for this.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:17 AM   #174
kiwidude

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnm View Post
A couple of questions/wishes ....

Is there a way to have the "Remove items" job run before the "Sync [add] items" job when both are set run automatically as soon as the device is connected?
I can look to add that at some point. Right now it assumes your lists are independent and just uses an order that you cannot control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnm View Post
Any chance of incorporating a list that is automatically populated from the device?

Thanks
Not so sure about this one. I would assume this is perhaps for similar reasons as Vaesse of wanting to keep track of books on the device and potentially having tags set? Or some other reason? I can see that it could be useful for people to have say a tag for each such list, which would allow them to see at a glance who has what on their devices. Or even just being able to see a list without the tags.

There are however a number of issues that come to mind.
- Such a list needs to be kept up to date after any other actions cause the device to be updated, whether you manually use the remove or send to device menus, or force sync another list to the device. I don't even know if it is possible to hook into those non plugin menu actions, and once your list loses integrity, you will have to Force Sync it or reconnect the device to get it back up to date.
- Also such a list might need to be read only from a user perspective, or else you will get into conflict situations. So not allowing manual add, remove or clear actions.
- Would you allow even changing list ordering - possibly I guess.

Will ponder this one, it might involve a fair amount of work and I gave less spare time nowadays. Feel free to comment on whether my understanding is correct and whether you think it useful.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #175
kiwidude

v1.2.5 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Offer option of controlling whether tags are added only or removed only for each list
  • When syncing lists, apply and "Remove" type lists before any other list types

@Vaessa - that should cover what you asked for.

@capnm - likewise this now addresses the first of your two suggestions. The second idea about an auto-populated list needs more thought/discussion as per my previous post to figure out exactly "why" and what people would hope to achieve with it.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #176
Vaesse
Zealot

Thank you so much! Now I will play with this, but I expect it to be perfect!
Old 07-31-2011, 02:05 AM   #177
dswellhauser
dswellhauser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Problem:
calibre, version 0.8.12
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>KeyError</b>:u'listType'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.reading_list.action", line 456, in _on_device_metadata_available
File "calibre_plugins.reading_list.action", line 533, in sync_now
KeyError: u'listType'

Am using the latest version of Calibre 0.8.12

When I try to sync a book or books to the device (Kindle 3) it won't work. This problem occurred only after updating the plugin software
dswellhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:22 AM   #178
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswellhauser View Post
This problem occurred only after updating the plugin software
Did you restart calibre after updating the plugin?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:32 AM   #179
dswellhauser
dswellhauser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Did you restart calibre after updating the plugin?
Yes I did

Also I can send the file to the device but only with the 'send to device button'...when I do this the file is goes there and is perfectly readable.

Last edited by dswellhauser; 07-31-2011 at 03:34 AM. Reason: needed to add more information
dswellhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:33 AM   #180
kiwidude

v1.2.6 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Ensure people upgrading who had no list type node in their config xml do not get an error.

@dswellhauser - there must have been something funky about that list in terms of when it was created and which plugin versions you have updated between in the past. This should no longer give you that error.