Notices

Old 06-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
marty1990
Enthusiast
marty1990 began at the beginning.

Device: None
E Ink vs Paper

How comparable are they?

I've noticed on my mum's Kobo Touch, and my Sony PRS-T1, in the evening we need an extra light source pointed at the screen's of the eReaders to read books comfortably. However in the same light, reading paper books is easier.

Dunno whether it's just our devices, but I always assumed E Ink and paper was very close. Since having these eReaders, I'd say that paper is still easier to read, especially in lower light.

Views?
marty1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Paper has a much better visual quality and resolution compared to eInk. If that's your only criteria then stick to paper.

The downside of paper is that it's static (you want a different / larger font? too bad), and heavy (if you don't read >500p tomes good for you), and uncooperative (books don't stay open by themselves so you have to fight the book to read)... Also lots and lots and lots of free books that wouldn't be free if someone had to pay for their printing.

I go with eReader because it has so much more possibilities than paper.

Also, while it's possible to read paper books in low light situations, I don't recommend it. Reading can be hard on your eyes under best of conditions, bad light is a no-no...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty1990 View Post
...my mum's Kobo Touch, and my Sony PRS-T1, ...I'd say that paper is still easier to read, especially in lower light.

Views?
It's not a simple comparison. Paper varies tremendously in brightness and printed text varies in sharpness. IMHO, the best of today's eInk displays fall somewhere in the middle of the range of paper books.

My Kindle 3 is distinctly better than most 20+yr old, yellowed paperback books. The low quality paper with its subtle ink bleed combined with the aging of the paper yields a readability distinctly below that of my Kindle. On the other hand, several of the high quality hardbacks (not all) and a few special paper backs are superior to my Kindle.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I do generally find that I need more light to use my ereader, than I do to read a paper book. However, I can comfortably use my ereader without wearing my reading glasses, which I can't do with a paper book.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty1990 View Post
How comparable are they?

I've noticed on my mum's Kobo Touch, and my Sony PRS-T1, in the evening we need an extra light source pointed at the screen's of the eReaders to read books comfortably. However in the same light, reading paper books is easier.

Dunno whether it's just our devices, but I always assumed E Ink and paper was very close. Since having these eReaders, I'd say that paper is still easier to read, especially in lower light.

Views?
Purely a matter of contrast - black text on white shows up better than black on a newsprintish grey.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Paper has a much better visual quality and resolution compared to eInk. If that's your only criteria then stick to paper.

The downside of paper is that it's static (you want a different / larger font? too bad), and heavy (if you don't read >500p tomes good for you), and uncooperative (books don't stay open by themselves so you have to fight the book to read)... Also lots and lots and lots of free books that wouldn't be free if someone had to pay for their printing.

I go with eReader because it has so much more possibilities than paper.

Also, while it's possible to read paper books in low light situations, I don't recommend it. Reading can be hard on your eyes under best of conditions, bad light is a no-no...
And it's easier to carry an ereader than it is to carry a stack of books even if they are paperbacks. lol.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
IMO eInk is inferior to a high quality hardback, but far superior to mass market paperbacks, especially 20 year old used copies. Most of my reading was the later, so if anything e-reading is an improvement.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
tarzanphan60
Enthusiast
tarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoontarzanphan60 knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Nook Color, Tablet, HD, HD+
I do love how you can read e-ink devices in the sun (which I can't do on tablets). I find that most of the time the benefit of carrying less weight, being able to adjust fonts according to the book I am reading and being able to switch rapidly between books make e-readers so worthwhile.

That being said, I love some of my Hardback books and there is nothing like laying on my stomach hanging over a pillow and cruising through a great print book. And the Harry Potter release parties would have not been nearly as fun as getting that physical book in my hands and the joys of opening it to the first page and later the joys of closing it after satisfactorily finishing it.
tarzanphan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #9
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
It might require slightly more light to read eInk, but for me that's offset by all the possibilities eInk offers over paper which frostschutz touched on.

For me the advantages of eInk are: weight, size, variable fonts and font sizes, built-in dictionary, and the ability to carry an entire library in less space than a paperback.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #10
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I went to the library and got a book only to be disappointed at the size of the font. I can't really read the book comfortably...
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:32 AM   #11
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I find that the greyish background of my eReader is an advantage in bright sunlight over paper books, less glare equals less squinting. Since I have a lighted case I'm never lacking illumination, paper books don't come with book lights built in.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #12
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Also some people who own the Nook with Glowlight have said that they just keep the light on all the time, not just in the dark, and this helps with the "gray" problem.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #13
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
IMO eInk is inferior to a high quality hardback, but far superior to mass market paperbacks, especially 20 year old used copies. Most of my reading was the later, so if anything e-reading is an improvement.
+1

I do not think there is a contrast issue, but if there is, it is so slight as to not be worth noting. Even if there was a slight issue, the other advantages would make turning on a light well worth it.

For reference, I'm using nook but other ereaders look the same to me at a casual glance.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #14
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
And it's easier to carry an ereader than it is to carry a stack of books even if they are paperbacks. lol.
This is one of the best perks to using an ereader. To me, anyhow.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #15
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I never thought about it. I use the same lighting to read on my reader as I do my paper books. Now I'll have to go & check out the difference.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote