Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 12-19-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Shakespeare, William: Sonnets, v.1, 20 Dec 2007

Someone asked for some poetry. So here are all 154 of Shakespeare's sonnets, one per page.

I've added two pictures, a clickable numerical index, plus a clickable index of first lines. This took ages. I would have composed a sonnet to celebrate, but I'm too tired. So here's one of my favourites:

Sonnet 64

When I have seen by Time's fell hand defaced
The rich-proud cost of outworn buried age,
When sometime lofty towers I see down-rased,
And brass eternal slave to mortal rage.
When I have seen the hungry ocean gain
Advantage on the kingdom of the shore,
And the firm soil win of the watery main,
Increasing store with loss, and loss with store.
When I have seen such interchange of State,
Or state it self confounded, to decay,
Ruin hath taught me thus to ruminate
That Time will come and take my love away.
This thought is as a death which cannot choose
But weep to have, that which it fears to lose
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: prc Shakespeare_THE SONNETS.prc (186.1 KB, 1042 views)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:19 PM   #2
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
such a shame. Kindle doesn't seem to read or convert from prc anymore. Tried to send this to my kindle email to receive such alert.

and I can't believe how mistreated the bard is everywhere around. The omnibus on gutenberg has a truly horrid and useless table of contents...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2017, 03:07 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
and I can't believe how mistreated the bard is everywhere around. The omnibus on gutenberg has a truly horrid and useless table of contents...
pynch has created an excellent epub version of Shakespeare's collected works, including the sonnets.

All you have to do is convert it to AZW3 with Calibre or Kindle Previewer.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:48 AM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
pynch has created an excellent epub version of Shakespeare's collected works, including the sonnets.

All you have to do is convert it to AZW3 with Calibre or Kindle Previewer.
Not to mention that there are also some good versions at Amazon that aren't expensive as well. Some as low as .99 for his complete works.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:36 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Not to mention that there are also some good versions at Amazon that aren't expensive as well. Some as low as .99 for his complete works.
If you're seriously interested, though, get the Oxford Shakespeare. A scholarly edition of the complete works with all the extras you'd expect from such a volume at a very reasonable price.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2017, 09:25 AM   #6
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Nice, clear version. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
such a shame. Kindle doesn't seem to read or convert from prc anymore. Tried to send this to my kindle email to receive such alert.

You can convert it with Calibre.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:27 AM   #7
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you're seriously interested, though, get the Oxford Shakespeare. A scholarly edition of the complete works with all the extras you'd expect from such a volume at a very reasonable price.
It contains no notes on the language.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:55 AM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Based on the preview of the print edition, it contains an introduction into Shakespeare's language by noted linguist David Crystal. (You can read the whole section, if you click Look Inside.)

@HarryT: The print edition seems to be nicely done, however, many reviewers complained about OCR errors, missing content and formatting issues in the Kindle edition and Amazon has officially flagged the Kindle book for missing content and typos.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:18 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@HarryT: The print edition seems to be nicely done, however, many reviewers complained about OCR errors, missing content and formatting issues in the Kindle edition and Amazon has officially flagged the Kindle book for missing content and typos.
I see there's also a "Print Replica" Kindle Edition which won't have those issues, but that can only be used on tablet and PC apps, not eInk Kindles.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:57 PM   #10
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
Based on the preview of the print edition, it contains an introduction into Shakespeare's language by noted linguist David Crystal. (You can read the whole section, if you click Look Inside.)

No i mean notes in the text. The Arden have them.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:04 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, the Arden Shakespeare is, to my mind, the best Shakespeare edition (I have the complete set of the paperbacks of the individual plays). They are gradually releasing the plays as ebooks (and very nicely done, too) but unfortunately they've done yet done an ebook "Complete Works". I wish they would!
Old 03-30-2017, 02:48 PM   #12
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
hmm, I'm a native portuguese speaker, but can read original Shakespeare just fine. Now, Chaucer is a bit more work, but still doable at a slower pace. Beowulf is plain german to me.

many thanks for the links. It's been a long time I've resorted back to either desktops or laptops, so caliber is out. But there are many converters for smartphone, I'll try my luck.

that said, I did download some of the individual plays from Feedbooks, nice formating but authors such as these are better suited for an omnibus edition.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:19 AM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have a copy of it. Back in 1989 after the 6 week season (Boy Scout Camp) ended I used some of my earnings to buy it. It was around $45.00 at the time I think. Not the most portable version but I had always wanted a copy of Shakepeare's works for my own bookcase.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote