Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-28-2019, 11:15 AM   #16
AkiraReader
Connoisseur
AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox, Kindles
I exchanged the deal pixels one out at a different store. Manager was very patient and great, opened up the new one , assigned it to my account, and let me check for any screen issues.

Finally happy and back to reading.
AkiraReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:15 PM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkiraReader View Post
I exchanged the deal pixels one out at a different store. Manager was very patient and great, opened up the new one , assigned it to my account, and let me check for any screen issues.

Finally happy and back to reading.
Glad to hear it. Sorry you had to go to a different store to find a good one.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2019, 03:40 PM   #18
AkiraReader
Connoisseur
AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Can one use custom fonts on a Nook? What about boldness adjustment, like Kobos and Kindles have?
You can load a font into your book via Calibre, and use "original font" to see it. But I haven't found a way to sideload fonts.

It supports "thicker, thinner, regular" font. So yes, one layer of bold can be added via the "thicker" option.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:31 PM   #19
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
You can load a font into your book via Calibre, and use "original font" to see it. But I haven't found a way to sideload fonts.

It supports "thicker, thinner, regular" font. So yes, one layer of bold can be added via the "thicker" option.
Thank you. I wonder if you can select thicker or thinner option for embedded fonts as well? Or only for built-in fonts?

Hardware-wise, this new Nook seems nice. But I have serious doubts about the software. Even Kindles allow custom fonts now...

Ah well. Let's wait for reviews.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:31 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Hardware-wise, this new Nook seems nice. But I have serious doubts about the software. Even Kindles allow custom fonts now...
Seems to be an issue that’s a big deal for some users but not for others. Personally, it’s a complete non-issue. I’ve always been happy with the fonts supplied with all the reading devices I’ve owned. I never change the font, nor feel any desire to do so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2019, 03:15 AM   #21
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Seems to be an issue that’s a big deal for some users but not for others. Personally, it’s a complete non-issue. I’ve always been happy with the fonts supplied with all the reading devices I’ve owned. I never change the font, nor feel any desire to do so.
If it was the only downside, it wouldn't be a particularly big deal. But there were many other faults in the previous Nook's software. Slowness, vanishing sideloaded books and shelves and so on. Add to that limited font options and you'll get a real dud.

Let's hope the other bugs have been fixed, at least.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #22
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:
If it was the only downside, it wouldn't be a particularly big deal. But there were many other faults in the previous Nook's software. Slowness, vanishing sideloaded books and shelves and so on. Add to that limited font options and you'll get a real dud.

It never ceases to amaze me how different we all are. I got my old Nook ST out and charged it. It still works. I don't mind the speed of the device. I love the page turn buttons. As long as a sans serif font is available, I don't care which one it is. I never had any problems with sideloaded content vanishing and my shelves always seemed to work. The problem I had with the ST is it got full of BN content and is a real pain to get stuff off and I wanted a lighted device.

I switched to Kindle because BN made backing up my books harder. Loved my Voyage until it died. I decided I didn't want to spend the money on the Oasis so I got the PW4. I really don't like it. I miss the page turn buttons more than I thought I would. I am seriously thinking about the new Nook but I am disappointed to learn that it is 3 oz. heavier than the Oasis or Forma.

These discussions make me realize how hard it is to make the perfect device because we all value different things.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:32 AM   #23
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how different we all are. I got my old Nook ST out and charged it. It still works. I don't mind the speed of the device. I love the page turn buttons. As long as a sans serif font is available, I don't care which one it is. I never had any problems with sideloaded content vanishing and my shelves always seemed to work.
The problems with sideloading and vanishing selves started with the Glowlight 3, the earlier models didn't have them, AFAIK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
I am seriously thinking about the new Nook but I am disappointed to learn that it is 3 oz. heavier than the Oasis or Forma.
Yes, that's a big disappointment. BTW, I wouldn't get a device without buttons either. I did buy a buttonless Kindle Basic a few years back, but couldn't get used to it.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:44 AM   #24
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
https://youtu.be/PqRig6qo-do

Nook YouTube commercial
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:39 AM   #25
AkiraReader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
https://youtu.be/PqRig6qo-do

Nook YouTube commercial
Guess they couldn’t afford a voiceover.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:11 PM   #26
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Guess they couldn’t afford a voiceover.
Actually I think it's a pretty good ad without the voice over.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:57 PM   #27
trence
Connoisseur
trence doesn't littertrence doesn't litter

Device: Likebook Mars
Does anyone have a bluetooth keyboard they can try and pair? That's the big kicker for me on this.
trence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:50 PM   #28
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by trence View Post
Does anyone have a bluetooth keyboard they can try and pair? That's the big kicker for me on this.
Yes - I tried last night and failed:

Bluetooth doesn't seem to work, at least with a keyboard or remote (the remote I have is just an emulated keyboard I think). When I turn on the BT in the standard Nook settings screen, I get an icon spinning (which I assume means it's i pairing mode) but it doesn't seem to detect any devices... I guess I could take it out to my car and try to pair to my stereo - maybe the BT is only intended as an output device for speakers/headphones (because of the audiobook capability).

I was able to root and sideload apps though! Good thread on XDA here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/noo...-2019-t3934677
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:00 PM   #29
trence
Connoisseur
trence doesn't littertrence doesn't litter

Device: Likebook Mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedinfargo View Post
Yes - I tried last night and failed:

Bluetooth doesn't seem to work, at least with a keyboard or remote (the remote I have is just an emulated keyboard I think). When I turn on the BT in the standard Nook settings screen, I get an icon spinning (which I assume means it's i pairing mode) but it doesn't seem to detect any devices... I guess I could take it out to my car and try to pair to my stereo - maybe the BT is only intended as an output device for speakers/headphones (because of the audiobook capability).

I was able to root and sideload apps though! Good thread on XDA here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/noo...-2019-t3934677
Interesting, thanks for letting me know. I loved my GL3 with all the XDA stuff. Was hoping this thing had full bluetooth capabilities.

Thanks!
trence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:22 AM   #30
ghogan42
ghogan42 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.ghogan42 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.ghogan42 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.ghogan42 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.ghogan42 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.ghogan42 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.ghogan42 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.ghogan42 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.ghogan42 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.ghogan42 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.ghogan42 beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: none
Quote:

Not fixed it seems.

When I first got mine I connected it to my PC and copied over a few books by hand since Calibre hasn't put out a build with support yet. That worked just fine.

The next time I connected it to my PC there were maybe twenty 0 byte files with garbage names shown on the nook and the even the volume name was corrupted. This problem has been mentioned in the Glowlight 3 threads.

I ignored that and copied about 110 books over. This was fine. Transfers seemed quick too. But afterwards when the Nook was slowly loading cover images for the books it just sort of ... stopped loading covers after about 25 or so books. So that's another Glowlight 3 problem.

Part of the reason I wanted a 7.8in screen was for Manga (b&w comics). So I spent a few hours converting books with different settings while I figured out the correct size for images to not be scaled (it's 1312x1660 btw). No problems here. It opens 100mb epubs quickly and page turns are plenty fast too. Nice!

But eventually during all of the testing I reached a point where after ejecting the Nook the "Connected to PC" dialog box wouldn't go away. It wasn't locked up and you could connect it to a PC again but that box wouldn't go away. So I had to hold the power button for 10 sec (or whatever) to make it turn off. Apparently when you do that, the Nook removes all of your sideloaded books completely! So that's another Glowlight 3 problem carried over.

I did a factory reset and to get it working properly again. I didn't have to reinstall the initial software update that was available. And... actually everything's been fine since then. I loaded a ton of books at once and haven't had any more problems with covers or file system corruption or anything.

But every problem I had seemed to match the problems I can read about in this forum for the older Glowlight 3.
ghogan42 is offline   Reply With Quote