Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-12-2019, 08:57 PM   #16
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
I set some general goals and planned out 7 reading challenges with 20 books each. I want to keep my goals lighter for next year as I have some big projects that will impact my reading time.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:42 PM   #17
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Will take part for the first time here, looks like fun! I will go for a book a week, so 52 books.

Last edited by tourneur; 12-15-2019 at 05:47 PM.
tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2019, 03:10 AM   #18
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Welcome to the challenge thread. I hope you find keeping track enjoyable.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:05 PM   #19
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, I signed up again, but I confess I'm not sure how active I will be with it. I was doing well at keeping up to date until mid-summer this year when "life" took over all my spare time. I had time to read, but NOT time to update here. And I found a clear majority of my reading was "comfort re-reads", not anything new and definitely not anything challenging. Sad, but hardly surprising given how I've spent the last 7 months. OTOH, a lifetime of voracious reading has given me a huge back catalog of books to re-read, so that's the good news.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 03:35 PM   #20
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Goals:

Length Goals:
Total Books: 50 (stretch goal of 75) | Total Pages: 25,000 | ETBR Reduction: 25 | PTBR Reduction: 10
Substantive Goals:
Read at least 51% non-American authors | Read more female/nonbinary authors than male | Read at least 52 short stories | Read at least 10 of the New Leaf Book Club/Literary Book Club selections

January Totals:

0 books - 0% of my goal - Ready to start!
0 short stories - 0% of my goal - Ready to start!
0 pages - 0% of my goal - Ready to start!
0% female/nonbinary authors / 0% male authors - Ready to start!
0% US authors / 0% non-US authors - Ready to start!
ETBR Reduction: Reduced by 0 - 0% of my goal - Ready to start!
PTBR Reduction: Reduced by 0 - 0% of my goal - Ready to start!

Last edited by astrangerhere; 01-20-2020 at 02:07 PM.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2019, 04:39 AM   #21
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some posts here have been moved to the List Thread, where they can be updated to track goals.
Old 12-20-2019, 04:40 AM   #22
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
My goal next year is to just read. I do not care how many books I read, just that I enjoy them.
I suspect that enjoying the books we read is a goal of all of us as well.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:29 AM   #23
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
It seems to me that if you spend the majority of your time tracking all of the minutiae of your book reading experience your are spending more time tracking than actually reading.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:38 AM   #24
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Quote:
My goal next year is to just read. I do not care how many books I read, just that I enjoy them.
Apache
I suspect that enjoying the books we read is a goal of all of us as well.
The point of goals is that they add to the enjoyment!

Quote:
It seems to me that if you spend the majority of your time tracking all of the minutiae of your book reading experience your are spending more time tracking than actually reading.
Apache
Well, "majority of your time" is obviously hyperbole; that said, it's a trivial amount of time to look up a book at Goodreads and click currently reading when you start a book and then click read when you're done. Goodreads does all the work.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 09:53 PM   #25
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Apache
That’s a good goal. I should try that too.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 02:51 AM   #26
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginwen View Post
I’m shooting to read about 78 different things this year.
What a wonderfully specific challenge!
Old 12-28-2019, 02:51 PM   #27
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Apache
Seems that way, but it is also part of the enjoyment. Goals actually help me to read MORE than no goals. Based on my family's history, I have about 18 years left to read all the ebooks/audiobooks I bought already that I have not yet read. My current estimate is that it will take 6-7 years to read/listen to everything already purchased if I buy nothing else from today onwards.

Last edited by Tarana; 12-28-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:26 AM   #28
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdie View Post
52 BOOKS

This year I want to:

1: Finish all the Miss Marple books remaining in my TBR pile. I started the series back in April but got distracted halfway through. 7 more ought to do it.

2: Read 3 non-fiction books.

3: Borrow more books from the library instead of buying and therefore increasing my TBR list. Not sure if freebies and Kindle Unlimited count as buying, though.

4: Read at least 3 books considered to be classic literature.

An impressive list of goals! I especially like 2 and 4. I might try to do that myself. There are lots of classic books from the 19th and 20th century that should be very good reads.

As for 3, it's really up to you what you count as buying. Personally, I've stopped getting freebies unless I would have bought them if they had been on offer for £0.99.

Welcome to the 2020 challenge group.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:06 PM   #29
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Does seem that way however, the enjoyment here is seeing if I can reach my goals. I don't get very far into the minutiae, as I define it. I don't really have the time to get that far into the details. Its sort of a two list thingy, the ones I have read on the top and the ones that I am working on the bottom.

How many of us reached our goals for 2019? I pledged 135 books and would up at 95. However this year I have latched on to a series called Space Force that should carry me all the way to the goal posts and beyond. Thus I am a bit more hopeful that I will obtain my goals this year. After all I am already up to book number 15.

Quote:
Apache
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:35 AM   #30
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
Last year was a poor reading year for me; I went from over 100 books completed in 2018 to just over a dozen in 2019. I'm hoping to get back into reading again and at this point, I'm hoping to at least double my tally.
12 books a year is the average reader in US. So at least you haven't fallen below average!

Last edited by Tarana; 12-30-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote