Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 11-17-2006, 09:49 AM   #1
elf
elf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.elf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.elf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.elf has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony ereader
Various: Bible: World English Version

Hi Guys,

Have completed a BBeB version of the World English Bible.

The bookname -> chapter number menu works ok, but I am not totally happy with it - navigating to Deut book 20 for example takes 5 million clicks. I have an idea on how to improve it, and will hopefully have a version 2 up soon. Try it out, and let me know if there are any broken chapters/links!

Any comments on how to improve the navigation system might help my fine tune V2.

Enjoy!
Elf
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip bible.zip (2.18 MB, 3037 views)
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:11 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
This was posted back in November, when the uploads sections weren't yet even a twinkle in HarryT's eye. The KJV version that heathriel just posted reminded me of it, so I'm, belatedly, adding it to the uploads section.

Enjoy.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2007, 07:55 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks Nat! I've made a minor mod to the thread name for consistency with the naming of the KJV thread.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:46 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Excellent, I was hoping to get them similar enough that folks could find both of them easily.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:06 AM   #5
gingercat
Connoisseur
gingercat began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
Hi Guys,

Have completed a BBeB version of the World English Bible.

The bookname -> chapter number menu works ok, but I am not totally happy with it - navigating to Deut book 20 for example takes 5 million clicks. I have an idea on how to improve it, and will hopefully have a version 2 up soon. Try it out, and let me know if there are any broken chapters/links!

Any comments on how to improve the navigation system might help my fine tune V2.

Enjoy!
Elf
I think it might work better to have the books in the BBeB contents and the chapters as links at the beginning of each book. Do you have a working HTML for what you have already done? I could re-format from where you have finished rather than starting all over again from the original txt files.

For some strange reason it crashes my reader when I try to change the font size - I'd like to look into that to find out why as well.

I have also begun to format the Messianic version of the WEB for the Sony Reader
gingercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2007, 02:15 PM   #6
KDawg
Junior Senior
KDawg has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: nookColor, nook, PRS-900, PRS-505, PRS-500, Kindle PW, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercat View Post
I think it might work better to have the books in the BBeB contents and the chapters as links at the beginning of each book. Do you have a working HTML for what you have already done? I could re-format from where you have finished rather than starting all over again from the original txt files.

For some strange reason it crashes my reader when I try to change the font size - I'd like to look into that to find out why as well.

I have also begun to format the Messianic version of the WEB for the Sony Reader

It crashes my reader when I hit the size button as well. Which is too bad, I was really beginning to like this version. I wonder if it's a function of book length and font size - 6000+ pages for this version at the small font size.

It would be nice to have a non-crashing version with the current book (of the Bible) displayed in the footer.
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:26 PM   #7
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Isn't there a font selection on the Connect software? You might be able to connect your Reader, change the font on the desktop software, and then use that font on the Reader. You probably have to have the book on the Reader library when you do that. Don't have it in front of me, so can't tell if this is feasible or not, and it still might crash the Reader if you want to change the font size back again while undocked.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:11 AM   #8
KDawg
Junior Senior
KDawg has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: nookColor, nook, PRS-900, PRS-505, PRS-500, Kindle PW, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
Isn't there a font selection on the Connect software? You might be able to connect your Reader, change the font on the desktop software, and then use that font on the Reader. You probably have to have the book on the Reader library when you do that. Don't have it in front of me, so can't tell if this is feasible or not, and it still might crash the Reader if you want to change the font size back again while undocked.
For me the problem is not so much getting to the font I want as having a crash-invoking file on a gadget.

I sure would like to know why that file crashes the Reader. Anybody got a book on their Reader longer than 6,000 pages?
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:58 PM   #9
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
I made a version of the New American Bible (Catholic) for my reader using the webpages from the US Bishops' site. It was a huge file, probably because of the way I converted it. I use Linux, so there's no "connect" software to format it for me. It took the reader almost 8 hours to format, but it didn't crash. Still, it was such a big file, navigation was too slow to be useful. I think I'm going to have to find a way to re-work it.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:10 PM   #10
gingercat
Connoisseur
gingercat began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
Quick Update - I have begun to create the WEB for the reader and started with an 11 point font. This gives me no problems selecting any of the 3 font sizes so I am picking the crashes might have something to do with the particular font chosen in the crashing version
gingercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 01:36 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercat View Post
Quick Update - I have begun to create the WEB for the reader and started with an 11 point font. This gives me no problems selecting any of the 3 font sizes so I am picking the crashes might have something to do with the particular font chosen in the crashing version
The WEB is?

Are you using Book Designer or html2lrf? If Book Designer, have you tried the latest version posted in the Sticky in the Reader Content forum?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 01:47 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The WEB is?
The "World English Bible". Unlike most Bible translations, which are carried out by multi-denominational committees, and aim to achieve both accuracy and balance, the WEB was done by a small group of people with a rather one-sided "evangelical" agenda. Few people would recommend it as a "good" translation. One of its few "benefits" is that it's freely available on the internet and is in the public domain ("WEB" is a deliberate play on words).

See:

http://www.ebible.org/
Old 08-11-2007, 01:54 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My Wife purchased a bible that is as neutral as possible. It's a direct translation of the original Hebrew. Does such exist as a free edition in electronic form?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:00 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

There are many older translations of the bible that are now in the public domain - eg the "American Standard Version" of 1901. I'm not aware off-hand of any very "literal" transations; they tend not to be very readable because the grammatical structure of Hebrew is so radically different from that of English. You have to "paraphrase" to get readable English.

I'm sure you're aware of this, but only the Old Testament was originally written in Hebrew; the New Testament was written in Greek.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:20 PM   #15
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
Good luck with that, man. Every translation, by its very nature, involves some bias and interpretation on the part of its translators.

Just as a small example, the passage in Isaiah that's often seen as a prophecy about the birth of Jesus says that either a "young woman" or a "virgin" will conceive. I doubt any Jewish translators would opt for the latter, given a bias against Christian interpretation. Few Christian translators would opt for the former, since it's been viewed for over 2000 years as phrophetic. Which translation is more "literal" is a debate that can't be won. When you use the word "literal" is it more important to understand what the words themselves mean, or what the human author meant by them? In that sense, saying any translation is more "literal" than another is on the verge of meaningless.

That's one plus for Islam, which claims that no translation of the Qur'an is authoritative. But then, the texts of the Qur'an are significantly more recent than either the Hebrew or the Aramaic/Greek scriptures.

One problem I've found is that many older Bible translations into English (and therefore public domain) didn't have the benefit of comparison and revision to be in accord with older, original manuscripts that had been discovered after they were published. Of course, there are always those who say that the KJV is the literal word of God since all the more modern translations disagree with it. ;-)

I tend to take exception with the WEB translators' position on "drop-outs" as they call them. Many of the newly-found, older manuscripts that have been discovered are significantly shorter than those used by the translators of years past. The logic of the WEB group is that a scribe would be more likely to miss a line here or there, causing a drop-out, than adding one in later on. This simply isn't true. Many scribes added glosses to the text for further explanation, filling in gaps for the curious, or even for devotional use (such as the "for thine is the kingdom...." ending to the Lord's Prayer.) These eventually found their way into older English Bibles and were seen as actual parts of the scriptures--something that was never intended. My personal view is "the shorter, the better" or at least, more authentic.

Translation is always a dangerous business. And I'd hate to have the job of a scriptural translator. Talk about pressure!

Last edited by beartard; 08-11-2007 at 03:32 PM. Reason: drop-outs
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote