Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Netronix

Notices

Old 10-13-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
More E Ink from China: STAReBOOK STK-101 e-reader

I'll get right to the point: This one looks very sweet. Michel from Staretek sent us details on the Chinese STAReBOOK e-book reader, which boasts a 6-inch display using E Ink technology - apparently the same display manufactured by PVI and used in the Sony Reader and the Jinke HanLin eBook. The reader is supposed to become available this November in three different editions, two for the Chinese market and one for the English, at a price of around USD $440.

Specifications:
  • 6-inch SVGA 800x600 4 grey scales E Ink display
  • 250g (160g without case and li-ion battery)
  • 188mm by 118mm by 85mm (last one looks like a typo and should probably say 8.5mm)
  • ARM-based 250MHz SAMSUNG processor (S3C2410A core)
  • 64MB SDRAM system memory
  • SD slot (MMS compatible)
  • USB 2.0
  • headphone jack
  • rear-mounted mono speaker
  • Linux 2.4.1, MP3 player built-in, uses own e-book format internally (STK)

Related: Comparison of E Ink readers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	starebook2.jpg
Views:	2161
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	1806   Click image for larger version

Name:	starebook3.jpg
Views:	3261
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1807  
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:42 AM   #2
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Until there is A4/Letter sized Reader under $400, I'm not interested
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2006, 12:15 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Okay, now I'm confused, I thought letter sized was A5? No? Just trying to get it right for myself, you see.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:27 PM   #4
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Will it have a touch screen? What types of formats does it read natively?
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:27 PM   #5
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Sweet!

Now if I only knew what an STK file was, and how to make one, I wouldn't now be living in terror that Sony won't get the Reader here in time and I'll have to buy this one for my wife instead...

Sounds like a removable battery? A useful feature for my wife. She's one of those people around whom batteries have shorter than expected lives for some not well understood reason.

I just call her "Battery Vampire". Less than six months and I've already had to replace both BT50's for her Motorola A1200... my single BT50 is still going strong in my A1200 after seven months.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2006, 12:37 PM   #6
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Okay, now I'm confused, I thought letter sized was A5? No? Just trying to get it right for myself, you see.
All them A's are measured in them Fancy French Units so by definition noone of thems can be letter sized.

The rest of the world uses A4 paper for the same uses as an American uses letter sized paper.

A5 is almost the same as an "Executive Notebook" page.

Measurements in English units:
A5 5.83 8.26
A4 8.26 11.69
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:49 PM   #7
mitja_i
Enthusiast
mitja_i began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
I'll get right to the point: This one looks very sweet. Michel from Staretek sent us details on the Chinese STAReBOOK e-book reader, which boasts a 6-inch display using E Ink technology
Link is broken?
mitja_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:50 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
All them A's are measured in them Fancy French Units so by definition noone of thems can be letter sized.

The rest of the world uses A4 paper for the same uses as an American uses letter sized paper.

A5 5.83 8.26
A4 8.26 11.69
Thank you, scotty1024, I guess I've had it backwards for years. But I haven't been using the terms until recently ("letter sized" is just so long to type a lot), so I don't feel too bad about it.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:39 PM   #9
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
...uses own e-book format internally (STK)
I like the appearance of this once.

Then I got to this last line. Come on, people. HTML!
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:12 PM   #10
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024

A5 5.83 8.26
A4 8.26 11.69
I hate to break the news to you ;-)
but it is YOUR paper that is being measured in strange medieval units (12 inches make 1 foot, 3 feet makes 1yard and so on...) the rest of world has moved to sensible decadic units looooong time ago.
So proper dimensions are:
A4 is 210x297 mm
Letter is 216x279 mm

;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:38 PM   #11
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Why do all the hardware reader companies have to come out with their own format. Just standardize already!

Also, looking at it, what does this have over the Sony Reader? Seems less for more money. Also a single button on the bottom right? Ergonomics? (not that the sony is great in that regard.)
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:44 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir
I hate to break the news to you ;-)
but it is YOUR paper that is being measured in strange medieval units (12 inches make 1 foot, 3 feet makes 1yard and so on...) the rest of world has moved to sensible decadic units looooong time ago.
So proper dimensions are:
A4 is 210x297 mm
Letter is 216x279 mm

;-)
Stinkin' metri-elitists.

You left out the truly superior Texas measurements such as: yonder, a piece, a ways, a hunk, etc.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:02 PM   #13
Bandito
Bandito began at the beginning.

Umm, forgive me for being picky, but I fail to see anything better, or for that matter, worse, between:

A5 is 5.83 x 8.26 inches
A4 is 8.26 x 11.69 inches

and

A4 is 210 x 297 mm
Letter is 216 x 279 mm

Now, if A4 was 200x300 mm, there might be something to crow about!

And, yes, I do know that the ISO paper sizes are metric with the aspect ratio based on the square root of 2 so that each sheet is exactly half the size of the previous one and that the actual area of the paper has a nice, round metric value.

I just love to argu...um...er...debate issues!

Last edited by Bandito; 10-13-2006 at 05:06 PM.
Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:13 PM   #14
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitja_i
Link is broken?
Not broken; it's unfortunately the only related link we got right now.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:44 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito
And, yes, I do know that the ISO paper sizes are metric with the aspect ratio based on the square root of 2 so that each sheet is exactly half the size of the previous one and that the actual area of the paper has a nice, round metric value.
See, now that's just being arcane for the sake of obscurity to me. I mean, who came up with that approach? And why weren't they doing something a bit more useful than figuring out paper sizes based on the square root of 2, for cryin' out loud?!? Probably some crazy european ('cause it's metric) philosopher-mathematician-printer type.

Is there any actual advantage to it aside from being able to fold an A4 in half to reliably simulate two A5's?

That's all just crazy talk.