Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-14-2016, 12:16 AM   #46
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Coca-Cola--Learn about the Drink and the Company for 80% Off of Digital List Price.

The publisher, Open Road Media, has one day deals everyday. I don't know if this is one of them. If it is, the price may be good all day today, Thursday in the U.S. (if not, it may be good only for a few more hours from now at the most).

Secret Formula. By Frederick Allen. Rated 4.7 stars, but from only 9 reviews at the present moment at Amazon; rated 3.69, from 61 reviews at GoodReads. Print list price $19.99; digital list price $14.99; Kindle price now $2.99. Open Road Media, publisher. 510 pages. http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Formula.../dp/B01543FEE4.

Book Description
How a Victorian-era medicine spawned one of the nation’s richest companies and became the world’s most recognizable brand

Secret Formula follows the colorful characters who turned a relic from the patent medicine era into a company worth $80 billion. Award-winning reporter Frederick Allen’s engaging account begins with Asa Candler, a nineteenth-century pharmacist in Atlanta who secured the rights to the original Coca-Cola formula and then struggled to get the cocaine out of the recipe. After many tweaks, he finally succeeded in turning a backroom belly-wash into a thriving enterprise.

In 1919, an aggressive banker named Ernest Woodruff leveraged a high-risk buyout of the Candlers and installed his son at the helm of the company. Robert Woodruff spent the next six decades guiding Coca-Cola with a single-minded determination that turned the soft drink into a part of the landscape and social fabric of America. Written with unprecedented access to Coca-Cola’s archives, as well as the inner circle and private papers of Woodruff, Allen’s captivating business biography stands as the definitive account of what it took to build America’s most iconic company and one of the world’s greatest business success stories.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-14-2016 at 01:54 AM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:37 AM   #47
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I have mentioned before, in one or more posts, that the National Academies Press (NAP) offers a large number of their books free. These books are all digital, and all in the pdf format I think. But I don't think that it would hurt for me to mention particular free ebooks from time to time. This is one of them.

I am putting my 2 cents' worth, about the premise and conclusions of this book, at the end of this post.*

Title: Science, Evolution, and Creationism.
Looks like it is one of the titles I downloaded from their free day about three years ago (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=168886)
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #48
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Here are a couple of Charles River Editors titles, newly free.

Is it just me or have Charles River Editor freebies become fewer and farther-between lately?
Difficult to keep track given the repeats

Big Ben and the Elizabeth Tower: The History of the Famous English Landmark

The CSS Hunley: The History and Mystery of the Civil War's Most Famous Submarine

Vichy France: The History of Nazi Germany's Occupation of France during World War II

The Battle of Kursk: The History and Legacy of the Biggest Tank Battle of World War II

The Space Shuttle Challenger Disaster: The History and Legacy of NASA's Most Notorious Tragedy

http://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search-...+river+editors

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?url=searc...+river+editors
http://www.amazon.ca/s/?url=search-a...+river+editors
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #49
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Free

New edition of a self-published book I vouch for.

London: A Visitor's Guide: 2016 New edition - updated Dec 2015 by Craig Cross

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JUXW2E0/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JUXW2E0/
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00JUXW2E0/

Craig Cross is the guy behind the London travel blog at http://www.londondrum.com/blog/.
He has spent the last few years as a full-time tourist, visiting nearly 200 different landmarks, attractions and hotels in London, so he can compile them into a huge tourist guide which collects together all of his experiences, observations, hints and tips into a single 1,000 page volume.

Note that if you bought the previous edition you need to contact Amazon - no automatic update will be sent yet Amazon stop you buying it again.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:26 PM   #50
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Difficult to keep track given the repeats
<snip>
Thanks for the extras, which I had missed. I usually download all of the free CRE books that I learn about.
Advert
Old 01-14-2016, 03:34 PM   #51
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Free

New edition of a self-published book I vouch for.

London: A Visitor's Guide: 2016 New edition - updated Dec 2015 by Craig Cross
Great! Now if I could only make the trip over there . . . .

I don't know if you saw my post about a month ago about all of the many museums that I had learned were in London. I wish that I could visit many of them. It seems like nearly every other day I read about another one there, or some society or such dedicated to something historical and/or scientific.

One society that I learned about just yesterday is called something like the Egyptian Exploration Society. Located in Cairo or somewhere else in Egypt? No. It is in London. ha.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-14-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:37 PM   #52
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Looks like it is one of the titles I downloaded from their free day about three years ago (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=168886)
Hmmm . . . . I was under the impression that this ebook was one of NAP's always-free books. Maybe you were able to get the book in some digital format other than pdf then?
Old 01-14-2016, 03:51 PM   #53
Little.Egret
Wizard

Quote:
Great! Now if I could only make the trip over there . . . .

I don't know if you saw my post about a month ago about all of the many museums that I had learned were in London. I wish that I could visit many of them. It seems like nearly every other day I read about another one there, or some society or such dedicated to something historical and/or scientific.

One society that I learned about just yesterday is called something like the Egyptian Exploration Society. Located in Cairo or somewhere else in Egypt? No. It is in London. ha.
Here's a blog of a project to visit every museum in London

http://londonbusesonebusatatime.blogspot.co.uk/

The Project

In March 2009, we 'ladies who bus', Linda, Mary and Jo, decided to travel every London bus route from end to end. Now that we have completed this Odyssey, we are going to visit every museum in London, and let our readers know what we find and what we think.

2 Temple Place (9/09/2014)

2 Willow Road (16/04/2014)

Albert (Prince Consort) Memorial (12/06/2014)

Alexander Fleming Museum (24/10/2014)

All Hallows by the Tower (29/04/2014)

Anaesthesia Heritage Centre (12/10/2015)

Apothecaries' Hall (15/11/2015)

Apsley House (30/04/2015)

Bank of England Museum (24/04/2014)

Banqueting House (2/09/2014)

[...]

Tate Modern (18/06/2015)

Thames Barrier Information Centre (1/10/2015)

Tower of London (19/11, 3/11 & 31/10/2014)

Twinings Tea Museum (24/03/2014)

Vestry House Museum (28/05/2015)

Victoria & Albert Museum (16/12/2015)

Wallace Collection (27/06/2014)

Wellcome Collection (9/10/2014)

Wellington Arch (12/08/2014)

Whitechapel Bell Foundry (23/03/2015)

Whitechapel Gallery (10/04/2015)

William Morris Gallery (29/07/2014)

Last edited by Little.Egret; 01-14-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:12 PM   #54
Little.Egret
Wizard

Quote:
Hmmm . . . . I was under the impression that this ebook was one of NAP's always-free books. Maybe you were able to get the book in some digital format other than pdf then?
yes, your link http://www.nap.edu/catalog/11876/sci...d-creationism? offers a free PDF or Buy Paperback: $9.95 or Buy Ebook: $7.00 Ebook Formats: ePub, Kindle/MobiPocket

Publication Info 88 pages | 8 x 10
ISBNs:
•Paperback: 978-0-309-10586-6
•Ebook: 978-0-309-13193-3
DOI: 10.17226/11876
Old 01-14-2016, 05:23 PM   #55
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
yes, your link http://www.nap.edu/catalog/11876/sci...d-creationism? offers a free PDF or Buy Paperback: $9.95 or Buy Ebook: $7.00 Ebook Formats: ePub, Kindle/MobiPocket

Publication Info 88 pages | 8 x 10
ISBNs:
•Paperback: 978-0-309-10586-6
•Ebook: 978-0-309-13193-3
DOI: 10.17226/11876
I know that it is always free now, but I didn't know if it was that way when Koland got it three years ago.

It seems that more and more publishers are giving away digital versions, at least pdfs, of at least some of their books. A nice trend for us (I think!).
Old 01-14-2016, 05:25 PM   #56
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Here's a blog of a project to visit every museum in London

http://londonbusesonebusatatime.blogspot.co.uk/

The Project

In March 2009, we 'ladies who bus', Linda, Mary and Jo, decided to travel every London bus route from end to end. Now that we have completed this Odyssey, we are going to visit every museum in London, and let our readers know what we find and what we think.

2 Temple Place (9/09/2014)
<snip>
It sure seems like a lot of museums have been left out. What do you think?
Old 01-14-2016, 07:54 PM   #57
Little.Egret
Wizard

Quote:
It sure seems like a lot of museums have been left out. What do you think?
Those are only the ones visited so far!

See the index map.

100 done ? 500 to go ?
Old 01-14-2016, 10:01 PM   #58
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Those are only the ones visited so far!

See the index map.

100 done ? 500 to go ?
Ah . . . .
Old 01-15-2016, 12:44 AM   #59
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Very Highly Rated Book about Some of the Banned Artwork in Nazi Germany--FREE Pdf.

This ebook is accessed from the Internet Archive.

You may have a tendency to think "public domain" when you hear "Internet Archive." I certainly do. But, the IA also has an enormous number of free ebooks which have a current, valid copyright.

The problem is finding the good ones--the IA does not even have a rating system for their ebooks, as far as I'm aware. Thankfully, I became aware of this gem below from it being mentioned on another website.

The URL that I will give below is that of the IA webpage for the ebook. Besides the color pdf, they will offer Kindle mobi and ePub, among other, less popular, formats. I have downloaded and checked the mobi and ePub versions and they are in such bad shape that they are unusable (garbled, loaded with digital artifacts, etc.). The color pdf turns out nice, so I recommend that you download it.

Everyone is different, but personally I find this book fascinating.

Title: Degenerate art : the fate of the avant-garde in Nazi Germany.
Format: Pdf.
Author(s): Stephanie Barron; Peter W. Guenther.
Publisher: Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA).
Pages: 423.
Ebook Rating/Number of Reviews (Amazon): 4.8 (4) at Amazon; 4.5 (34) at GoodReads.
Price: $0.00.
Lowest Price at Amazon if available there: $21.15 (used--"good").
Book Description (From Google Books):
Examines the 1937 Nazi-arranged exhibition "Degenerate Art," comprised of 650 avante-garde artworks stripped from German museums. Includes essays, a diagrammed catalogue of the exhibition, artist biographies, a translated facsimile of the exhibition guide, and other reference resources, accompanied by reprints of the artworks and photos of the exhibition itself.
Comments: This is the 1991 edition. I think that this ebook has been provided by the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), which is credited as one of the publishers of the book.
URL: https://archive.org/details/degenerateartfa00barr.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-17-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:02 AM   #60
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Thanks, GtrsRGr8. I read your posts, too.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote