Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Toronto Public Library: Free eBooks

The Toronto Public Library now has available Project Gutenberg books in ePub format. These are DRM free and available to all. Not sure though on the quality of the formatting!

http://toronto.lib.overdrive.com/2A2...Collection.htm
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I wouldn't expect much of Gutenberg books as far as format quality goes.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I can't speak for Gutenberg books that are obtained from places other than Project Gutenberg, but when I get the plain vanilla e-texts (in ePub format) from the website itself, I find the quality and readability to be really good.

I download it directly via calibre (Project Gutenberg is one of the "Stores" in the "Get books" option on calibre), and then slap on whatever cover I feel like and then put it on my e-reader. Of course I can't speak for all specific books, I tend to mostly read from the top 100, but everything I've downloaded so far has been nice.

Many of the public domain classics are also really well done by many volunteers at mobileread too, and are available in epub format, and I've downloaded many books from here. I really get a thrill that I can get any public domain book for free. Before I knew about this I spent christmas money to get paperback copies of Jane Eyre, Emma, etc... then six months later I discover project gutenberg! Sigh. But I am very happy now.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:33 AM   #4
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I wouldn't expect much of Gutenberg books as far as format quality goes.
That surprises me, most books I have gotten from Gutenberg have been both very well proofread and properly formatted. In fact, after having read quite a few books from Gutenberg, I'd argue that their quality often surpasses that of commercial publishers.
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:03 AM   #5
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I have gotten several very poorly formatted ebooks from PG, so many so that now I don't download them at all.

I have found the MobileRead library to have the best looking and least erroneous books anywhere online.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2011, 02:34 AM   #6
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I find the MR Library to be excellent, a happy result of the work of committed enthusiasts. Never had a hookey one yet, and doubt I will.

The bad reports about Gutenburg I find a real surprise - I have used PG a lot, and on some really obscure works, and again, very few problems at all.
I have had a couple of slightly "off" books, but these were the fault of the original work, and I can accept that, although I'd like it to be perfect!
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote