Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-19-2010, 08:46 AM   #61
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
Any electronic equipment that does not include moving parts (typical e-readers) rarely fail unless you drop them, put them into water or use them at extreme temperatures.

I never ever broke such a thing. Extended warranty would be a total waste for me.
really? No moving parts? wow you have a magic telepathically operated reading device? Ever hear of the button? Power port (very common point of failure in devices)? USB port?

The memory used has a limited lifespan though it should out live most other parts of the device, still the memory used is limited in write/deletes. Plus as mentioned earlier in the thread there was and still seems to be a run of bad capacitors and a couple other seemingly insignificant components which are actually so bad that the mfg costs of a lot of products are expected to increase because of the lower availibility of these components for a not insignificant period of time. And these are nothing new to the computer industry...but in general QA/QC has declined seemingly at a rate which corresponds to Moore's Law...to me that is the definition of irony, more powerful but increaslingly poor build quality when devices are looked at as a whole not specific products as there are always some which are vastly superior in that area.

I agree with the OP...if it makes sense, buy the warranty. A few years back I bought my Mom an LCD 42" TV because of her declining eyesight. It was a nice Samsung and as she was in convalescent care I knew it was not going to be treated properly AND it was going to be running almost 24/7/365. I bought the Walmart 3-year warranty since the TV cost me over a grand...the warranty was something unreal cheap, $70 or $80 for an ADDED 3-years in addition to the one-year warranty and repairs were on-site under the extended coverage or full refund. So it failed, they sent a tech with both parts, honestly there are only two boards in the danged thing and now I know I could repair it no problem...but it was money well spent and her TV gave her a lot of joy her last few years because she could actually see her much loved Laker games again. And for me, this was a HUGE outlay of cash at the time and now would be impossible thanks to my own med bills this year. Luckily I can fix my own gear so I get by most of the time...but 99% of people out there can't change a lightbulb without a consultant so if the cost of repair or replacement is a hardship get the Squaretrade warranty and have the peace of mind you can actually enjoy the device.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:01 AM   #62
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: EZReader
Thumbs up

Thank you for adding your thoughts!:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
...but in general QA/QC has declined seemingly at a rate which corresponds to Moore's Law...to me that is the definition of irony, more powerful but increaslingly poor build quality...
Brilliantly well said Brecklundin.

As said previously with regards to the frequency of failures - having watched the JB company's forum and looked around at other places there are quite a few reports of this type of device failing for no apparent reason and at no particular time.

Peace of mind is VERY under-rated !

mark

PS: Brecklundin, I greatly admire your devotion and kindness to your dear mother.

Last edited by smallhagrid; 08-19-2010 at 09:03 AM. Reason: forgetful agin.
smallhagrid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebay, kmart, mentor, newegg, warranty